Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo's of enlisted personnell 'mess dress'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo's of enlisted personnell 'mess dress'?

Getting married next year and toying with the idea of getting married in uniform as the ceremony will be in the church in the curragh.

Does anyone have, or know where i can locate, picture's of Irish army personnell (enlisted) getting married in this dress. I know there was a picture of a guy getting married in An Cosaantoir a month or two ago but i just cant find it anywhere.

The reason i want them is so my better half can have a look and see what she thinks as obviously she will have the final say!!

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

TC

Mess Dress, for enlisted ranks, is normal service dress but with a white shirt and black bow tie. To make it look more impressive you add the white ceremonial belt instead of the cloth one.

Comment

Or you could just dress up for her?!

Comment

As Requested....

I trawled through a few old An Cosantoirs and found the attached.

No. 4 is a copy of what it says in A Admin Instruction Part9 (1986)

Usually, it is No.1 uniform with White shirt & Black tie. White Gloves, white Belt and Peaked cap are usually worn outdoors only but it is usually up to you. I was at a wedding when some of them were also worn inside - it is your wedding, it is up to you.
        Attached Files

Comment

Re: No 3

When did Ray D'Arcy join?
          If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

ref the second photo, whats the story with the infantry soldier wearing an artillery lanyard?
            just asking, not trying to make a point or cribbing!

Comment

Originally posted by bagel View Post
              ref the second photo, whats the story with the infantry soldier wearing an artillery lanyard?
              just asking, not trying to make a point or cribbing!
              during some ceremonial stuff the white lanyard is worn by all ranks.... irregardless of corps
              But there's no danger
              It's a professional career
              Though it could be arranged
              With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
              If you're out of luck you're out of work
              We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

i'd go for the Mess Dress - normal service dress with a white shirt and bow tie looks tacky.

our Padre's sometimes wear service dress with their dog collars and that looks tacky too i reckon.
                Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 24 September 2009, 22:53.
                RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

ha, he was my platoon sgt, a sound man, does have a striking resemblence to Mr D'arcy in this photo though. I wonder if Hedge was at that wedding, looks like a 2nd BN day out

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker View Post

From the amount of medals, I'd say ages ago!!:wink:

Sound man he is..:wink:

BTW..hedgehog is the one with the white dress

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      i'd go for the Mess Dress - normal service dress with a white shirt and bow tie looks tacky.

our Padre's sometimes wear service dress with their dog collars and that looks tacky too i reckon.
                      The Irish army doesn't have dedicated mess dress. No1s with dress shirt and bow tie IS mess dress for other ranks. Officers have full dress, which is most often worn in mess dress form.

Comment

Officers, BSMs & BQMS mess dress is a different colour, others ranks is as above

Comment

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
                          ha, he was my platoon sgt, a sound man, does have a striking resemblence to Mr D'arcy in this photo though. I wonder if Hedge was at that wedding, looks like a 2nd BN day out
                          I was wondering the same myself.

I never copped he looked like Ray D'arcy, I'll have a nice chuckle to myself when I see him tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                            The Irish army doesn't have dedicated mess dress. No1s with dress shirt and bow tie IS mess dress for other ranks. Officers have full dress, which is most often worn in mess dress form.

Officers have a mess dress.( might have misinterpreted you post) But they wear a black jacket and miniature medals and bow tie..
                            Last edited by Craghopper; 24 September 2009, 23:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                              Officers have a mess dress.( might have misinterpreted you post) But they wear a black jacket and miniature medals and bow tie..
                              Officers have full dress, which you only ever see them wear as mess dress - but there's also a belt and hat to go with it, and it's worn with a normal white shirt and black tie for day wear.

Comment

Working...
                              X