Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scrap the RDF. What can you use the money for instead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap the RDF. What can you use the money for instead?

After An Board Snip, the recommendation is for the RDF Pay budget to go to 3 million approx.

What can you buy for this say over the next 3 years. (Recession over hopefully, emerging stronger economy)

So for 9 million over the next 3 years.

Some options.

Army:

New rifle Optics

4,500 ACOG sights taken at 2,000 euro each, this price representing combined unit, maintenance, trg and accessories.

400 Trijicon Advanced Thermal Weapon sights

1,500 (AN/PVS-18 Style) Night Vision Monocular GEN III
    Own The Night sells high quality American Made night vision equipment. Products include night vision goggles, night vision monoculars, camera compatible systems, thermal cameras, weapon sights, helmets, helmet mounts and accessories.

3 x MOWAG with .5cal/30mm

Development of dedicated modern modular and fixed FIBUA facilites at either Kilworth or Glen trg areas.

Air Corp:

3/4 purchase of another AW139 at a unit cost of 12.1 million

1/5 purchase of C27 J Spartan transport aircraft

1/5 purchase of NH90 helicopter

Navy:

Payment towards new ships which if continued would see a ship of 60 million euro paid for in full in only 6.5 years.
    Last edited by ZULU; 26 September 2009, 17:07.
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Does it have to be DoD spending?

If not, change hospital cleaning from contract cleaners to incentive based hospital employed cleaners and bring in MORE of them.

A new special needs school

The development of something like the YMCA is in the USA

Any of those would be good with me
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Any saving recommended by Bord Snip are to reduce Government spending not to allow it to be allocated to something else.

Based on the current tax take (and no major changes to taxation) cuts of AT LEAST €4 billion are required in 2010, on top of the € 3 billion in 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post

If not, change hospital cleaning from contract cleaners to incentive based hospital employed cleaners and bring in MORE of them.

A new special needs school

The development of something like the YMCA is in the USA

Any of those would be good with me
        Yes, it should have to be DoD spending.

We've a shit Defence budget as it is, the other Departments have their own budgets and the DoH in particular has a rather large one... Let them use their own money, if they can't use it properly other Departments shouldn't have to suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Any saving recommended by Bord Snip are to reduce Government spending not to allow it to be allocated to something else.

Thats what I've taken into account in my original post.

The 3 million refers to the RDF budget AFTER cuts.

What the DoD / MA decide what to do with the budget is up to them.

For example, who says they have to spend the 3.2 million euro on military training? They could reduce this to 2 million and use the other 1.2 million on say equipment.

And if this is not the case. Who decides on what to spend and where to spend it on?
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Yes. Its in line with the thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
              Thats what I've taken into account in my original post.

The 3 million refers to the RDF budget AFTER cuts.

What the DoD / MA decide what to do with the budget is up to them.

For example, who says they have to spend the 3.2 million euro on military training? They could reduce this to 2 million and use the other 1.2 million on say equipment.

And if this is not the case. Who decides on what to spend and where to spend it on?
              Depends on the sub-head.... Minister, Secretary General DOD, DCOS, DCOS, Corps Directors etc

If the Government wants to scrap the RDF and save approx € 3 million, the chances are it will not be reinvested in the DF!

Comment

Ok so... From the sounds of it (correct me if I'm wrong) but DF accommodation leaves a bit to be desired. Why not improve the living conditions of all the PDF living in? Plough it into upgrading accommodation and recreation facilities in year one.

After that, spend the money ensuring that troops overseas have adequate air and vehicle support. I've no idea how much that costs though.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Use the money to re-finance the banks
                  It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Ok so... From the sounds of it (correct me if I'm wrong) but DF accommodation leaves a bit to be desired. Why not improve the living conditions of all the PDF living in? Plough it into upgrading accommodation and recreation facilities in year one.

After that, spend the money ensuring that troops overseas have adequate air and vehicle support. I've no idea how much that costs though.
                    A lot more than the RDF costs at the moment

Comment

You also have to factor in the cost of

A) buying new uniforms/kit for an RDF that has a high turnover.

B) the cost of renting places for RDF training.

C) Cadre pay and pensions

D) fuel/and all the hidden costs associated with the RDF, everything from the electricity used during RDF training to transporting people to tactical exercises, to the cost of ammunition used during training.

Reducing the RDF and its pay will also save money in lots of other areras.
                      Last edited by paul g; 26 September 2009, 19:41.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                        You also have to factor in the cost of

A) buying new uniforms/kit for an RDF that has a high turnover.

B) the cost of renting places for RDF training.

C) Cadre pay and pensions

D) fuel/and all the hidden costs associated with the RDF, everything from the electricity used during RDF training to transporting people to tactical exercises.
                        The €3 million saved is after closing most (if not all) locations outside occupied barracks & getting rid of most (around 75% (if not more)) cadre.

Comment

get the cost of poles ( the bif shiny stright things not the lads whose name end in owsky)

get the price of sparkles

deduct that
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Ah now... there's a use for the RDF... Last Sunday we got a "Re-introduction" to the Steyr... We got to clean 3 rifles each.
                            Haha...

Comment

Has to be done, the weapons don't clean themselves

Comment

Working...
                              X