X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF v BA privates age profile

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    A transferrable skill to bring back to civvy street.... bearing in mind that the
    average Brit squaddie cannot serve to 60 years old...
    average Brit Squaddie can only serve until 40 (or 22 years after enlistment).
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Is there many 40 year old privates in the BA?

Comment

Dev
      In answer to there being any 40 year old privates in the B A ? No there are not,as it stands we serve a 22 year engagement. Usually at the 12 year point quite a number of lance corporals and full corporals get out as they feel they feel they have given it a fair crack.Funny enough, its also the point where they qualify for their half pensions. Its also at this stage any long serving privates jump before they are pushed. As the army is now pretty much fully manned, we will see a return to how it was run about 15 + years ago , where people were given a SNLR ( services no longer required ) letter.
      Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Can a Pte serve to 22 Years though Knocker or is 12 the limit
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

SNLR? Whasn't that about Bliar's time? Fellas at the sharp end in Bosnia getting P45s, while Serbs are trying to kill them.Inspiring decision, that one.
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            Is there many 40 year old privates in the BA?
            i'd say NO - virtually none. however we did have one guy in my battalion about 15 years ago who left as a Rifleman [equiv to Private] after his 22 and when he got out there was a massive fuss made over him - infact he got a bigger send off than the CO from what i remember!

as Knocker said - we have 'Manning Control Points' and if a lad hasn't been promoted by his 12 year point then he probably never will and is usually discharged - it's all above board and legal and written down in Army Terms of Service..

'cruising' is not an option in the British Army, you either 'man up' or get out.

obviously other armies are different and promotion may not be such a readily available option but with us you either step up to the mark or get out.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Is there a staged criteria RGJ

such as Pte- Cpl within 5 years
              Cpl - Sgt within 5 - 12 yrs

etc

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                average Brit Squaddie can only serve until 40 (or 22 years after enlistment).
                Thanks, RGJ - the 22 years DID ring a bell alright, but wasn't 100% sure, so didn't say
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  Can a Pte serve to 22 Years though Knocker or is 12 the limit
                  Is it 22 years for a full pension in the Irish Army Hedge ?

And the boys who stay on - does that effect their pension when they finally get out ?
                  'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                    Is it 22 years for a full pension in the Irish Army Hedge ?

And the boys who stay on - does that effect their pension when they finally get out ?
                    its a weird system but the pension is a 31 year pension that pays out at 21 years

well it used to the newer guys are on a different scheme-

Ever year over 21 increases the pension- but only as far as 31

I am willing to be corrected on this-

seeing as I wont be drawing mine for a while its not something bothering me.

Comment

hedge - they have moved all our 'career info' onto ArmyNet (www.armynet.mod.uk) so when i can remember my password tonight i'll log in and get better info but there is a 'career path' and if you don't promote within certain time limits then you may be deemed unsuitable for further service.

i think it was something like LCpl in 5 years, Cpl in 8 years and Sgt in 12 years or something like that.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

In my work its 25 years for a pension equivalent to half your basic pay pa.

Or if you do 30 its two thirds.

Theres lump sums involved as well.

I always hear people saying that they have to retire otherwise it ends up costing them money, hence my question re the Irish Army. In theory you can do up to 42 years, but that very rarely happens now.

Doesn't affect me either for a long time, so like yourself haven't looked into it much.
                        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

we get a lump sum of about £40,000 (dependant on rank ) and an immediate pension of about £800 per month when we leave after 22 years man service (22 years from your 18th birthday).

the pension goes up massively when you reach the age of 55.

apparently, there are only 3 professions which can legally get rid of you before the age of 65 in the UK and that is:

soldiers
                          footballers
                          and ballerinas!!

don't know how true it is but our pension is pretty good given that we never contributed a penny towards it!
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

RGJ, what happens if you join above the age of 18? Are you still chucked out at 40, or do you do 22 years before you get the heave ho?

Comment

no barry - you can serve 22 from the age of enlistment.

there is a lad another from Dublin in my unit and he didn't join until he was 24 so he will be retiring at 46.

some of us are being offered an extra couple of years service past our 22.

if you commission through the ranks you can stay until you are 55 but those are few and far between.
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X