Blancoing the recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blancoing the recruits

I have scary memories of this practice in billets back in the late seventies, or worse boot polishing the recruits. Does it still go on ? Has it been stamped out in the defence force of today, I'd like to know.
    "The tide doesn't come up for another six hours, you want to wait around here for another six hours ?"

MOD: This post should have been approved long ago - sorry for that
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Anyone laying a hand on a recruit in such fashion these days would be before a High Court Judge before you could say "hand me my P45, please".
      regards
      GttC

Comment

blancoing? what is this?

Comment

Blanco was a strange gel-like "colouring", for want of a better word, that came in tins like large shoe polish tins. It was used to keep web equipment green. It would have been used on the old 37 pattern web equipment, perhaps the last such equipment that it was a requirement for. When I was on my first FCA camp (thirty years ago!!!) we had to blanco our web belts every night. Some belts had dried and cracked blanco an inch thick but a clean web belt, freshly banco-ed with gleaming brass buckles was a joy to behold.
          Last edited by WES; 30 September 2009, 09:52.
          The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
          (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
            Blanco was a strange gel-like "colouring", for want of a better word, that came in tins like large shoe polish tins. It was used to keep web equipment green. It would have been used on the old 37 pattern web equipment, perhaps the last such equipment that it was a requirement for. When I was on my first FCA camp (thirty years ago!!!) we had to blanco our web belts every night. Some belts had dried and cracked blanco an inch thick but a clean web belt, freshly banco-ed with gleaming brass buckles was a joy to behold.
            Thought blanco was WHITE.... (French for White being "blanc" ) ?
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
              Perhaps in its original form it may have been white, I don't know. Think of the film "Zulu" and all the white equipment. I'm just saying that the "Blanco" I had to use was green. Anyway, what's in a brand name?
              Last edited by WES; 30 September 2009, 14:01.
              The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.

Comment

"Blanco is a British trade name for a series of caked web dressings availible (sic) in various shades of khaki, green and brown, as well as white".

or look here,

Last edited by WES; 30 September 2009, 11:43.

Comment

Blancoing

I think a certain amount of this still goes on.
                  Last night of camps people have woken up covered in shaving foam, camo, polish etc.

Its viewed as a bit of harmless fun though. And the consensus from all the lads is that is taken in good stead too.
                  I heard tales of people being butchered going back years and years, so its something that is just part of the spirit I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
                    I think a certain amount of this still goes on.
                    Last night of camps people have woken up covered in shaving foam, camo, polish etc

Its viewed as a bit of harmless fun though. And the consensus from all the lads is that is taken in good stead too

I heard tales of people being butchered going back years and years, so its something that is just part of the spirit I guess.
                    I don't call this "harmless fun", this is plain acting the bollocks ....
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
                      "Blanco is a British trade name for a series of caked web dressings availible (sic) in various shades of khaki, green and brown, as well as white".

or look here,

http://www.blancoandwebbing.co.uk/bl.../early-blanco/
                      Cheers Wes

Comment

Whilst it's usually harmless enough, there's always some eejit who goes overboard and damages the other guy, who is often intimidated by rank or age into keeping his mouth shut. There have been plenty of cases where it turns into assault and not just mere pranks. There was at least one full-scale fight between two apprentice classes, in the Don, in the 80s, as a direct result of such behaviour, than ended up with hospitalisation and charges brought,etc.There's always a fine line between fun and assault, to be observed.
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

26 years ago it was Raljax? ( deep heat) liberally applied to the privates' privates. Polish and Blanco just didnt get the same reaction, it WAS funny in the sort of way that at least it wasnt you!
                          Mind you the PA's in the Curragh were scary so it cut out the fun a bit. As we were from down the country, their reputation went before them.
                          I remember one night things got a bit out of hand when in burst a PA with the leg of a table in hand and stuck two "Hard Lads" should read loud mouths to the wall with the warning " shut the **** up, dont make me come back" ,you could see he meant it. A quiet night was had by all.
                          Last edited by apc; 30 September 2009, 20:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                            Not in the Irish Army.

Greeno does not have the same ring to it.
                            sigpic
                            Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                            My favourite moment was when the
                            Originally posted by hedgehog
                            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                              Not in the Irish Army.

Greeno does not have the same ring to it.
                              Surely you mean " Vert-o" in keeping with the French theme....

Comment

Working...
                              X