Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snacker View Post
    You met me!

Course we are good but thats not to say all units are close to our standards!!!

Speaking of standards of NCO's....
    A few of our lads were lent to another unit that were short bodies. To hear the stories that came back its not surprising that a unit with 4 Inf Coys a SP Coy and HQ Coy can't raise 21 Privates for a weekend.
    Nothing new about that look at the turn out to Slaney, one inf Bn didn't want to play other 2 under strength on the day.

Comment

You met me!

Course we are good but thats not to say all units are close to our standards!!!

Speaking of standards of NCO's....
      A few of our lads were lent to another unit that were short bodies. To hear the stories that came back its not surprising that a unit with 4 Inf Coys a SP Coy and HQ Coy can't raise 21 Privates for a weekend.
      Originally posted by trellheim View Post
      And I was there too and if you want to make comments like that about us , fine put up the detail and if it's merited I'll stand there and put our hands up.

Making comments like that is already airing negative stories.
      I'm just piping up here for the sake of validating Snacker's comments
      I'm aware of the stories Snacker is referring to. I'm not going to mention them here for the obvious reasons, and besides, I heard the information second-hand on the Sunday, so I'm not in a position to give a true account of what went on.

On the whole the assessments were good craic and relatively soft routine in the harbour areas. I was expecting the assessments to be a lot more taxing, and a lot less stage managed; but at least I know now.

I guess what I was hoping for was a lot more. I would have liked it if the enemy were a seperate entity all together, and not just members of other plns within the Coy banded together and plonked down in position by the DS moments before being attacked. Particularly as we had spare privates not assigned to sections.

My expectation of the assessments before i went on them would have gone on something like this:

Friday: Form up in the Glen.
      Saturday 00:01: Deploy recce patrols to Coy harbour areas.
      04:00: Coy to set up harbour area. Establish harbour routine.
      06:00 - 20:00: Coy sends each pln out in Pln size fighting patrols that will be hit up in locations unknown to the exercise troops. (Time permitting, send each Pln out twice, don't hit them up the first time (to keep them on their toes) and ambush them on the second patrol later in the day)
      20:00-05:00: Using one consolidated En location, the Coy sends out a Recce Gp from each Pln with a 3 hour window each to recce the same En location. - [Each recce report will be assessed by DS].
      Sunday 07:00: Based on the intel gathered from the recces, the Coy will have collapsed the harbour area then launch a Coy sized attack on the En location.
      10:00 EndEx. Debriefs and clean up.
      15:00 Admin squared away, pat the lads on the back, job well done, home for tea and medals!

Additional points: Live off rations for at least 24hrs! Just to give the lads the experience! Scrap the hotlocks for a day; there's only so much stew and curry a man can take anyway!
      My thinking would be that with the above format of assessments, there would be a lot more focus on the use of Coy/Pln/Sect commander's skill/initiative, with a lot less staged scenarios where En contact is inevitable. I actually heard that someone from another Pln complained that "the enemy weren't where they were supposed to be" which is why their Pln ended up launching an attack in the direction of sheep, rather than the En!! I mean seriously, WTF?

Anyway, regardless of my expectations, I still had fun, morale was high and I got my much needed fix of controlled bursts of aggression with blanks and pyro

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
        Additional points: Live off rations for at least 24hrs! Just to give the lads the experience! Scrap the hotlocks for a day; there's only so much stew and curry a man can take anyway
        Agreed - a stew is not the ideal food when doing 24 hours on the ground, won't be
        long before an individual has an "accident" ( !!! ) - the whole reason why
        "Biscuits Brown" are lauded as they are for their nutritional, as well as "other"
        effects...

Anyway, regardless of my expectations, I still had fun, morale was high and I got my much needed fix of controlled bursts of aggression with blanks and pyro
        Glad you enjoyed it....
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I heard the information second-hand on the Sunday, so I'm not in a position to give a true account of what went on.
          Exactly why I didn't say more!

Besides hopefully someone will put pen to paper and you will hear more from your CO!

Originally posted by Muzzle View Post
          Nothing new about that look at the turn out to Slaney, one inf Bn didn't want to play other 2 under strength on the day.
          Slaney or Ogham Stone??
          WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

Slaney or Ogham Stone??
            I forget which was the recent one, thought they were both Slaney just part one and part 2! There was a surplus of people for the first one (huge surplus!)

I've been on both sides of the assessments plenty of bad stories of both. Numbers seems to be the biggest problem these days leading to fielding recruits and acting ranks.

Comment

Sunday 07:00: Based on the intel gathered from the recces, the Coy will have collapsed the harbour area then launch a Coy sized attack on the En location.
              The idea was a pln advance to contact / clearing an area, you are describing a deliberate attack.

Additional points: Live off rations for at least 24hrs! Just to give the lads the experience! Scrap the hotlocks for a day; there's only so much stew and curry a man can take anyway!
              AFAIK the reason for the hotlocks is a DF wide rule, the Glen is too close to the cookhouse in Coolmoney (and ration packs are more expensive).

My thinking would be that with the above format of assessments, there would be a lot more focus on the use of Coy/Pln/Sect commander's skill/initiative, with a lot less staged scenarios where En contact is inevitable. I actually heard that someone from another Pln complained that "the enemy weren't where they were supposed to be" which is why their Pln ended up launching an attack in the direction of sheep, rather than the En!! I mean seriously, WTF?
              We were briefed to cross the start line and take a certain axis, the enemy changed the axis.

Slaney or Ogham Stone??
              2 weeks ago at Ogham Stone one unit contributed no one inspite of it being a bde tasking.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                The idea was a pln advance to contact / clearing an area, you are describing a deliberate attack.
                Yes, I know, what's wrong with assessing the Coy's ability to lauch a deliberate attack?

AFAIK the reason for the hotlocks is a DF wide rule, the Glen is too close to the cookhouse in Coolmoney (and ration packs are more expensive).
                My point being that the lads I've gone through training with so far haven't ever cooked a meal or brewed up in the field yet! They need to do it at least once before they progress on beyond 2*.

We were briefed to cross the start line and take a certain axis, the enemy changed the axis.

That's a typical shabby Nazi trick!

Comment

Talk to said unit commander! He had valid reasons!
                  WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

My point being that the lads I've gone through training with so far haven't ever cooked a meal or brewed up in the field yet! They need to do it at least once before they progress on beyond 2*.
                    Recruits should have learned this on recruit camp or as part of their 2-3* course. Of course, recruits shouldn't be filling appointments on assessments either - where the hell are the trainied Pte's?
                    Last edited by concussion; 6 October 2009, 09:31.
                    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Originally posted by concussion View Post
                      Recruits should have learned this on recruit camp or as part of their 2-3* course. Of course, recruits shouldn't be filling appointments on assessments either - where the hell are the trainied Pte's?
                      It grips my sh1t too! Recruits are losing out on essential and valuable experience for the sake of petit cost saving!
                      Technically the lads were 2*s just before going on the assessments, and not recruits, and in fairness to them, they worked well throughout the assessments, despite the lack of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                        Because it would be a complete cluster ****.
                        More than likely, but how will the lads learn from their mistakes if they're not given the chance to make them in the first place?

Comment

AFAIK the reason for the hotlocks is a DF wide rule, the Glen is too close to the cookhouse in Coolmoney (and ration packs are more expensive)...
                          €€€ is the more likely reason...
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

AFAIK the reason for the hotlocks is a DF wide rule, the Glen is too close to the cookhouse in Coolmoney
                            Now doesn't that make sence - NOT

Considering the food for the lest ex was ferried from Cathal Bruagh.

(and ration packs are more expensive).
                            Thats probably the more realistic reason.

But then for a more realistic ex then they should bring out that lovely field kitchen of theirs and do it properly.
                            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally Posted by DeV View Post
                              AFAIK the reason for the hotlocks is a DF wide rule, the Glen is too close to the cookhouse in Coolmoney (and ration packs are more expensive)...
                              €€€ is the more likely reason...
                              f
                              Both of you are correct.

Another point is it gives Supporting Elements a chance to practice volume resupply to units in the field - this invaluable skill is badly lacking in some places

Oh and I'd didn't have the beans, had porridge both mornings and it was lovely.
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                                If you read the rest of my post, other than the first line you'd figure it out.
                                Kermit, my apologies for not elaborating on my first response. I did read your post, and my thinking would be that if pln attacks had been covered previously, then it would be an idea to progress onto Coy attacks as well as assess Pln attacks.

On summer camp, we rehearsed and launched a Coy NATO T; yes it was a cluster **** on the day, but lessons were learned. I'd like to think that next time we do it, it'll be smoother, but not necessarily without fault; again an opportunity to fine tune things.

If we're already rehearsing Coy assaults on our respective summer camps, then why not bring that experience to the assessments? If it goes wrong, then that can be put down to experience and further training can be orientated to correct the mistakes made.

I don't think we'd need to go any bigger than a Coy attack as a solely RDF operation.

Lastly, the idea of a Coy attack was only my expectation prior to attending the assessments. I assumed that as we're forming up as a Coy, we'd finish on a Coy attack. If the DF are satisfied with keeping it to Pln attacks, then who am I to argue with that?

Comment

Working...
                                X