No announcement yet.

the assessments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So anyway are the assessments actually showing any signs of improvements in the levels of training ??? .

Since every year the format is changed someone must think they are. I ve heard the usual scare stories about recuits/2* s been used to make up numbers, nothing new there so am surprised it still hasnt been addressed.

Aside from f**k ups n mistakes (these can happen to anyone ) is the standard of training getting better or is the lack of ptes and cpls starting to have serious consequences for the organisation ?

Dunno how my own unit done this year, was meant to be participating but my missus is due to give birth in the next week or so hence im grounded.
    Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
      On summer camp, we rehearsed and launched a Coy NATO T; yes it was a cluster **** on the day, but lessons were learned. I'd like to think that next time we do it, it'll be smoother, but not necessarily without fault; again an opportunity to fine tune things.

If we're already rehearsing Coy assaults on our respective summer camps, then why not bring that experience to the assessments? If it goes wrong, then that can be put down to experience and further training can be orientated to correct the mistakes made.

I don't think we'd need to go any bigger than a Coy attack as a solely RDF operation.

Lastly, the idea of a Coy attack was only my expectation prior to attending the assessments. I assumed that as we're forming up as a Coy, we'd finish on a Coy attack. If the DF are satisfied with keeping it to Pln attacks, then who am I to argue with that?
      Maybe they want to see things being done correctly before they progress?!

Also your unit is practicing coy attacks, what about the other 8 infantry battalions? There was no 3*s on our summer camp that weren't on a weapons course.

Comment

The 3 stars on my camp spet 2 weeks on duty.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I know of some people who were supposed to attend in their capacities as 3 stars then were told they would be field promoted to corporals within sections of mostly 2 stars...

they hadnt even participated in pyro section attacks in over a year so they thought if the NCO's arent able to go... then f*** this for a game of soldiers.

Was playing football with my local club in a cup match which ruled me out on the day but I had felt as above myself...

its down to a numbers game, all units sub strength and a recruitment embargo strangling whats left of the gutted units....
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

I think they should be held on 3 separate weekends with the same team assessing each time. I've found some assessors to be very poor and in some cases have a negative impact on the exercises. I think in the East the Assessments are treated like a chore, and the effort (though minimal) going into the Bde Exercise.

Comment

your point being
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I think it is on the wrong time of year. Would it be better swapping dates with brigade and all army shoots etc?
                Maybe I'm wrong but most of those who work have not much leave to spare at this stage, and those students are trying to settle back into college.

Any thoughts?

It just strikes me that the unit took its "break" after camp, and then a month later, the week they return, everyone is under pressure to organise platoons etc.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyshirt View Post
                  I think it is on the wrong time of year. Would it be better swapping dates with brigade and all army shoots etc?
                  Maybe I'm wrong but most of those who work have not much leave to spare at this stage, and those students are trying to settle back into college....
                  Not an unreasonable point, but there are not just college students in the RDF

Those with families would be targetting the summer period for their own unit FTT
                  and a family holiday with the kids before they go back to school, etc etc
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    Maybe they want to see things being done correctly before they progress?!
                    Well I was happy enough with my unit's Pln attacks and we were told that we got good feedback from the assessors. I'm sure we weren't the only unit to do well; so why not progress onto Coy attacks?
                    That's not meant to be a "my unit's better than yours" comment by the way, each unit has their own strengths and weaknesses; I'm just making an observation.

Also your unit is practicing coy attacks, what about the other 8 infantry battalions? There was no 3*s on our summer camp that weren't on a weapons course.
                    I can only speak from my own unit's perspective. But I thought the idea was that all summer camps fulfill the same training criteria? Is there not meant to be a consolidated training program? Or am I wrong there?

Comment

Well I was happy enough with my unit's Pln attacks and we were told that we got good feedback from the assessors.
                      Huge assumption that the assessors know what there talking about, and you know what they say about assumptions...

Comment

I can only speak from my own unit's perspective. But I thought the idea was that all summer camps fulfill the same training criteria? Is there not meant to be a consolidated training program? Or am I wrong there?
                        Nope, there are training syllabi to cover off various courses. Which ones the unit focuses on is up to them. Company in Attack isn't in any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzle View Post
                          Huge assumption that the assessors know what there talking about, and you know what they say about assumptions...
                          Very true, but being in the attack myself, I was satisfied that the attacks went well and were executed in good time. There were issues of soldiers' individual fieldcraft that we highlighted among ourselves for improvement, but on the whole it was a good effort all round.

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                          Nope, there are training syllabi to cover off various courses. Which ones the unit focuses on is up to them. Company in Attack isn't in any of them.
                          Now that is interesting! I didn't know that!

Comment

That being said there is nothing to prevent a unit doing a company in attack exercise on annual training. But there wasn't a directive out that units should cover that this year. However it was covered in the East this year during the Bde exercise [and last year]

Comment

so why not progress onto Coy attacks?
                              Maybe they want to get the platoon level tactics right first?

They are progressing, we started with platoon level assessments. The PDF did exactly the same thing, they went from an annual platoon attack competition, to coy attacks to battalion group assessments.

D Training will say what he wants the RDF to achieve in his annual training directive, this is then translated into unit objectives etc

Comment

Maybe they want to get the platoon level tactics right first?

They are progressing, we started with platoon level assessments. The PDF did exactly the same thing, they went from an annual platoon attack competition, to coy attacks to battalion group assessments.
                                I guess you do have to take baby steps with this newly reformed organisation. It's a shame there isn't the budget to do a bi-annual assessment rather than annual assessments. That could help speed up the progression of training and standards.

Comment

Working...
                                X