No announcement yet.

PP Barry Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't expect any less from my from my colleagues.Its a gravel agitators competition overall so if my mob can win any of the events best of luck.....c'mon the cav....especially my recce section!
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I was talking to a couple of lads from the 15th Bn yesterday and they must be ****in supermen cos they claimed they ran 2.5 miles in 10 minutes flat.

That's equates to 4 minute miles so we'll be seeing them in the olympics next year then.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      Originally posted by hedgehog
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Guess what the 22Bn won it again, (is anyone surprised) after their dress and drill to get 98/100 that was a joke with all the faults they made, and their Sgt & CS come on. That is the last time our Bn will put such resources in that it again.
        What a waste of time. All units that hosted a test won that test, ie 23rd won the grenades, 22bn fixed the plates and 3far fixed the quiz.
        Also a word on the accomadition to the 22, dont lie to us again, you have been warned.

Great to meet all those in the Camp during the two days of the comp.
        Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
        http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

We came second which is pretty good considering our performances over the years but we were robbed. You're right about about their dress and drill, they tied with us and we were almost as close to perfect as you can get. Did anyone else have trouble with the plates? There was something very dodgy going on there:confused:
          Religion is like a puddle thinking that the hole in the ground that it sits in is so perfect for it that some higher being must have created it

Comment

Originally posted by Thorpe

All units that hosted a test won that test, ie 23rd won the grenades, 22bn fixed the plates and 3far fixed the quiz.
            Im pretty sure our boys were timing the run and we didnt come first. second or third i think, i never got a good look at that scoreboard
            Religion is like a puddle thinking that the hole in the ground that it sits in is so perfect for it that some higher being must have created it

Comment

Told ye that competition is rigged.....It should be boycotted .

The only way to have it judged fairly is to have judges appointed from outside the brigade.

no matter how hard you try its always fixed.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The reason the pates were rerun for the 15th, 22nd and two other units, was not coz the plates were spinning, but one or two would fall back and get stuck in the sand and not fall down! The 22nd won the plates because their time was better that anyone else’s on the day, there was a stg from the MP there as a neutral observer, so explain how they managed to cheat, Thorpe.

The Dress and Drill marking was a bit over the top to say the least. The best we ever scored in the D &D was 94, and that would have won it any other year. This CS was a bit eccentric and seemed to be throwing marks about.

And how can anyone cheat with the grenades, there are neutral observers at every event. The Quiz and maybe the Forces March are the only 2 possible events.

Why dose Thorpe go to all these competitions and not take part, and still know every think about them??? He has little to offer but criticism. The mind boggles.

Comment

We were one of the units that had to get a refire. Three plates got stuck like you said and we couldnt tell if we had hit them or not which is pure sickening cos we had them all hit in our best time ever

Comment

Reason why I dont particate in these competuions is that I can not make the camps for the competions. I need the money from work (its considerably more than what I get when Im on camp anyway) as im still in college and will be for the next two years.
                    I will admit that D&D marks were very suspect and or lads did not deserve a 99, nor did the 22 or 14m deserve a 98.
                    Was the neutral observer at the plates also the timer???????
                    Anyway the rules of competions state (as far as I remember) that a spun plate is though s**t, it happined in the southern brigade shoot, if you remember. and there was nothing wrong with the plates when 13 and 3cav fired on them, explain please???????
                    I saw planty of neutral observer at these events twling their tumbs?????
                    I could on bud, but I wont waste my internet time.
                    The competion should be scrapped, Think of the savings???
                    Its a waste of money and drains units resources

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14

Comment

Kermit, if Corps units such as CIS and the Medics werent winning their coprs events, I would be seriously worried.

Comment

Ok, i have not posted on this board in a while but when i saw some of the posts on this thread i feel i must. Ok firstly a bit about me as a two time All-Army plates winner and a PP team member with the 22nd Batt for the last 7 years i feel that i have to right to comment on this thread.

Firstly, year in year out we take the same s*&t. There something in the irish mindset that when somebody is good at something they have to be put down. Ok, i would agree that the marking and running of some events have to be questioned, as does a stupid quiz in what is a military skills competition. Bring back the obstacle course. The solution to all this is to get a unit from the Eastern or Western Brigade to run the events.

Some teams come to this event with the single objective of going on the piss for the weekend !! How many other teams train 3 nights a week for the 3 months leading up the the competition..the 15th are the same as ourselves we have our rivalary but i would happily be intergrated with that BN anyday as they have the same mindset and hunger to win.

The marking on the square this year was a joke, dont know where they found that CS but he should stick to the day job. He spent more time looking at his clipboard than to the team on the square.

Their is a major problem with the plates events in every competition and on every range except the Curragh and it is a disgrace that in 2003 the Army cannot invenvest about €50 to solve this problem, i have seen teams go out when they shouldn't bacause plates were said to be down when they weren't and vice versa. A bit of cop on lads....Maybe we could have a fundraiser or get specsavers to sponsor the the construction.

Its a bit sad to see that there are only about 4 BN in the whole Southern Brigade that can compete on an equal footing in this competition !! To see teams walking the whole route of what is a run is laughable.

For the first time in our history we a female (two in fact) on our team. It was commented on how we were able to win the event with them, i just say who ever said that is a lucky man i didn't hear him...For two females to enter into a training programme that has been totally made up of males since 1985 was a great experience. I can honeslty say that i don't think i would have had it in me to do the same was i in their position. There was no change in our training they ran, shot, ate and trained alsongside what is a very close knit team, we are all good friends outside the RDF. I have never seen two females in the RDF put in so much time and effort in my life, they are an exception to the norm, with regards our BN anyway, i can't speak for anyone else.

The reason we won this PP is because each of us wanted to win it more than anyone else not for ourselves but for our team mates, the very same people we trained/drank/laughed/respected & trusted for the last few years. We put in the training (bit time) all of us made changes to our working /personal life during the training. We had a Sgt. of 40+ yrs compete with us for his first time ever.

We won the 3 in a row, against all the odds (nothing to do with winning the events).

This will be my last time to have to listen to this moaning and bitching about who won and why, as this was my last PP. Its a good competition if more units took it seriously and put in the effort..

A final note to Brigade HQ's...sort out the plates i'll even go down and show them how to fix it if they want

Well done to the other Units who gave us a run for our money..

Comment

Last year the team that ran the quiz won the quiz....

True what eagleye says,there are few participants in that competion who take it seriously. Some do,the rest either try to win by cheating or go along for the beer and complain when things dont go their way.
                          Congrats to those who won,and well done to the runner ups for putting in the effort.

Good idea about the Organisation though. Unbiased teams should run the events. Sadly it is in every units nature to do what they can to help their unit win. The running of the all army and brigade shoot should be used as a guide.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorpe
                            Was the neutral observer at the plates also the timer???????
                            Yes he was!! There were 3 stop watches timing the run for the plates, one by the officer in charge, one by the sgt assisting him and one by the neutral observer.

What team won the corp. test?? The 22nd did.

The all army shoot should be held in the Curragh every year because of the excellent facilities they have for the plates.

Comment

Congrats on the win eagleye, at least this year we finally gave ye a good run for your money. Does your Bn get to keep the cup now? cos i've heard from a fair few people that this is the last year of the PP Barry in its current form. Also wasnt the Michael Collins trophy the coolest looking thing you've ever seen?:-patriot:

Comment

I heard next year its a section on the ground competion, 2cpl`s and 7ptes, trps, gnrs etc

Comment

Working...
                                X