No announcement yet.

New Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone find out the full Irish military spec.? Getting a few of these fords seems a little pointless unless they are going to be upgraded with armour and at least a GPMG .5 or something and used specially for the wing Isn’t this just another mediocre vehicle in the inventory while the cash strapped DF waits for the eagle to come on stream (if ever)

Comment

If they are to be converted for use overseas then I can see their purpose. The UN in the balkans use A Toyota 4runner. A pickup is more practical with a crew cab for long distance than a standard 4x4 station wagon. I think that as a what we ar elooking at is something to fulfil the role carried out by the ACMAT in UNISOM.

Are we talking then about Technicals?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Sorry if i got up peoples backs on this issue. I think the money would be better spent on other things, trucks etc. i was talking to a AD person last night, and they told me that they have no trucks to haul the new guns around. how irish is that. And on the subject of ARW. People on this board hold that group in high regard. they have never done anything the only job they got was hostage job in mountjoy/portlaois I think, and they turned it down. So lets not put more money into that part of the army, that doesn't do anything for us, only UN missions etc. the only time we here about them is in the papers etc. They don't do demos for people/units. Drive jeeps with blacked out windows-- boyracers--
        it a waste of time I feel it is, but thats my sixpence on the subject.

Well that all folks, see you next time
        hurry up and wait, are you back yet

Comment

Oh they do stuff but you wont hear about it

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
            We never used open topped landrovers...
            There was also mention (and photos) of them in use for a recce course in the 90's in an Cosaintor (I don't know which one, UCD has all of them.)
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Open-topped Landrovers; both the 11th and 2nd MS operated them in the '70's, as did the Air Corps, I think 5th infantry had them too.
              As far as I can remember the open-top vehicle fell from favor after an accident in the Leb, where several DF people were killed.
              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Open Topped Landrovers.

Those troops that were killed in the Lebanon were using Toyota 4x4's which were otherwise known as "Wog Wagons" .
                I think the Engineers used a single Landrover Defender in the Lebanon located at Camp Shamrock.
                I also recall the army using a Toyota to tow the gun carriage at a military funeral some months back.
                Whilst on the subject I think that Light infantry reece platoons should have Open top LandRover reece vehicles and not Nissan patrols that cannot perform the job properly!

Comment

According to Karl Martin's book some Toyotas were retained as cerimonial gun carraiges for funerals.

Regarding open top vehicles, my understanding is that the DF opted for hardtops due to Irish weather conditions, open top vehicles, even covered with canvass I imagine get very wet, like a motorbike, and during Irish winters, especially, would leave the troops very exposed to the elements.

I think everyone is agreed that the Nissans are not suitable for battle conditions, then again that's not what they're expected to encounter.

IAS

Comment

Recce Jeep

This is more like what we should get, its is a 110 High capacity Land Rover. A lot different that what you can get in a show room.
                    When we had the defenders they were not military spec, most were just soft tops painted green.
                    Attached Files

Comment

undoubtely the 110 High capacity LandRover is versitile, however there seems to be numerous remarks about the high degree of maintanence required to keep them operational. I think its fair to say that the previous Nissans have outperformed the LandRover and offered better value for money.

Comment

Them brits are about to lose their land rover fleet due to new emissions regulations.

Funny thing saying that we used open topped land rovers.......Only for ceremonial...the correct term is canvass topped as oppossed to hard top...any way the land rovers were shite...thats why when the DF went overseas they were replaced by CJ6 and Toyotas.

Yeah they look the biz....no power......freezing cold.....uncomfortable ....unreliable...noisy.......left the rain in.....could pull a decent load.........too many models ....to many spares unavailable....and finally men killed falling from the tail gate.

Toyotas........Rotted like ****......too fast.....2.8 litre petrol engine coupled to a fourspeed box.Had to get out to engage wheel drive........Centre of gravity too high...easily rolled....freezing cold and wet....uncomfortable dangerous mounting and dismounting....only fit for funnerals.

The toyota is a good reliable sturdy machine....yeah we know its not armoured and looks like the family station wagon .....but it was purposely bought as a ATCP vehicle....its cheap ...user friendly....readily available parts ...good fourwheel drive and reasonably powerful....was probably one of the best purchase the Army made.....just look how many are still in service!

haven driven all three the Nissan remains my favourite.!:flagwave: :flagwave: :-patriot: :-patriot: :-patriot: :-patriot: :-patriot: :-patriot:
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

On the subject of new vehicles, due for delivery later this year are six new explosive ordnance disposal vehicles on a MOWAG Duro II 6 x 6 chassis fitted with bodies built by the UK's Penman Engineering. Three of these chassis will have blast-proof rear bodies and armoured cabs.

A request for tender will be issued by year end for 10 additional DROPS-type vehicles and approx 40 6 x 6 trucks. These will replace the 22 MAN 14.240 FAEG 4 x 4 5-tonne trucks.

Between 1997-2003 we have received 20 Iveco EuroCargo 4 x 4 trucks, 55 Leyland T244 trucks and 60 Mercedes-Benz 1117A trucks. This completes the 4 tonne 4x4 truck purchase programme.

Comment

Is this order for Duro confirmed?

Looking at both the Mowag and Penman sites, it appears Mowag build their own bodies and that Penman builds an EOD vehicle based on a Land Rover 6x6 (though I'm sure that they would build on something else if asked).

I would have thought that Timoney's MP66 or MP44/Bushmaster mine protected vehicles would be ideal for this role, but I suppose as they're Irish they MUST be ruled out.

The same would apply to the 6x6 truck order, Volvo's FM12 high mobility truck is an 8x8 that would be built by Timoney, as they designed it and licenesed it to Volvo.

IAS

Comment

Re: Recce Jeep

Originally posted by Frank Aiken
                              This is more like what we should get, its is a 110 High capacity Land Rover. A lot different that what you can get in a show room.
                              When we had the defenders they were not military spec, most were just soft tops painted green.
                              Thats what I meant by open topped land rovers. Many years ago the DF demo'ed a 50 cal on a buffer mount in the rear of a land rover 90 swb. The buffer Mount was adapted,the Land rover was not.
                              I remember the Toyotas also,fine engaging the drive if the wheel was clean,but if not......hard to find a hub when the wheel resembles a round lump of mud and straw....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I just saw from www.janes.com that Britain is sending armoured Land Rovers from the North from reserve and surplus stocks to Iraq following criticism of the vunerability of the unarmoured vehicles.

It brings into question the use of these unarmoured vehicles and one would hope, though not expect, that it will put pressure on our Government to go ahead with the LTV purchase.

IAS

Comment

Working...
                                X