No announcement yet.

New Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C-Q, I think you're right, as said earlier I would imagine the thinking behind these vehicles is similar to that with the Acmat in Somalia, however, as with the Acmat needing to be supplemented by the Sisus, whether an unarmoured vehicle is really useful in overt high-risk missions is questionable.

Even so, I'm sure the users will feel much happier with these than with the Nissans if the going get's tough.

IAS

Comment

I suspect the decision was based on British experiences in Sierra Leone and Afghanistan as well as NZ and Irish experiences in Timor
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

C-Q you're probably right, however, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, the British experience in Iraq has, according to Jane's, caused them to send surplus armoured Land Rovers from the North and Britain to supplement/replace the soft skinned ones.

IAS

Comment

Are we saying so that they will see similar use as the Holden 6x6 used in East Timor?
          What basis do you have for this assumption?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I was watching CNN last night, they were showing a clip of US troops arriving at the UN compound in Baghdad, the troops were using what appeared to be the armoured version of the Humvee, complete with front and rear armoured shields (almost a full turret) for the gunner. This was the first time I saw this particular version of the Humvee in Baghdad (on CNN).

On the question of use of the Fords, as they are "special reconnaissannce vehicles" can we assume thay are for use exclusively by the Ranger Wing?

IAS

Comment

Originally posted by ias

On the question of use of the Fords, as they are "special reconnaissannce vehicles" can we assume thay are for use exclusively by the Ranger Wing?
              This is apparently the case.

Comment

So, the Wing' SRV's will be 19 years in service in 2023, any movement on their replacement?

Mods I'll understand if you want to lock this down etc but I thought posting here rather then starting a new thread might be more appropriate.
                Last edited by Rocinante; 27 December 2022, 23:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocinante View Post
                  So, the Wing' SRV's will be 19 years in service in 2023, any movement on their replacement?

Mods I'll understand if you want to lock this down etc but I thought posting here rather then starting a new thread might be more appropriate.
                  Something of a similar build with some armoured protection would be the next logical move, IMHO...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

Something of a similar build with some armoured protection would be the next logical move, IMHO...
                    That's actually the opposite of current thinking.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                    X