X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yellowjacket
    replied
    Originally posted by ias

On the question of use of the Fords, as they are "special reconnaissannce vehicles" can we assume thay are for use exclusively by the Ranger Wing?
    This is apparently the case.

Leave a comment:

• ias
    replied
    I was watching CNN last night, they were showing a clip of US troops arriving at the UN compound in Baghdad, the troops were using what appeared to be the armoured version of the Humvee, complete with front and rear armoured shields (almost a full turret) for the gunner. This was the first time I saw this particular version of the Humvee in Baghdad (on CNN).

On the question of use of the Fords, as they are "special reconnaissannce vehicles" can we assume thay are for use exclusively by the Ranger Wing?

IAS

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Are we saying so that they will see similar use as the Holden 6x6 used in East Timor?
    What basis do you have for this assumption?

Leave a comment:

• ias
    replied
    C-Q you're probably right, however, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, the British experience in Iraq has, according to Jane's, caused them to send surplus armoured Land Rovers from the North and Britain to supplement/replace the soft skinned ones.

IAS

Leave a comment:

• Come-quickly
    replied
    I suspect the decision was based on British experiences in Sierra Leone and Afghanistan as well as NZ and Irish experiences in Timor

Leave a comment:

• ias
    replied
    C-Q, I think you're right, as said earlier I would imagine the thinking behind these vehicles is similar to that with the Acmat in Somalia, however, as with the Acmat needing to be supplemented by the Sisus, whether an unarmoured vehicle is really useful in overt high-risk missions is questionable.

Even so, I'm sure the users will feel much happier with these than with the Nissans if the going get's tough.

IAS

Leave a comment:

• Come-quickly
    replied
    Well the Pintel mount on the trucks is largely for air defence and even in surface combat isn't really going to be used in low risk situations were as the the SRVs are equipped for their role as armed scouts/gunships and are intended exclusively for high risk situations, so I'd say there's a good chance they'll fit a mag on them.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Hmm...all the new 4x4 trucks are fitted with a weapons ring also,though I have never seen one armed..anyone care to disagree?

Leave a comment:

• Frank
    replied
    Hi Guys,

According to the Evening Herald on the 18th of September the Army have purchased 12 of the Fords and they will be fitted with a weapons ring similar to the one fitted to the British Army's Wolf Landrovers, and it will be capapable of mounting a .5in HMG, a 7.62mm GPMG or a Javelin ATM launcher.

Regards,

Frank.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Yeah,and you have a fleet of refuelers following you to top you up...and the US are forever looking for a new source of petroleum...

Leave a comment:

• California Tanker
    replied
    I get about 8 gallons to the mile...

NTM

Leave a comment:

• T.I.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish
    Ideal range warden vehicle...think of the flags and targets you could throw in the back....
    yes but thats all it would be good for.... that and a good laugh!

Leave a comment:

• Infy
    replied
    in a word eugh!! the ford's look well though

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    I would be inclined to speculate that this vehicle would be an offroad version of the wagon that usually carries HOBO? Penman appear to be providing a mobile workshop/store for EOD purposes.

http://www.penman.co.uk/index.htm

Leave a comment:

• sledger
    replied
    ias As far as I know the MOWAG Duro order is going ahead.
    http://www.mowag.ch/Images/Produkte/.../6x6_05_gr.gif
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X