RDF Serving Over........rivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF Serving Over........rivers?

Look lads. With all this talk about us going overseas and all that, the MA aren't even calling us out to assist in the flooding in the west at he moment. What does that tell you?? The MA do not want anything to do at all with the reserve. So all this talk of overseas service will remain what it is. A pipedream. Sorry to piss on peoples cornflakes but I'm being a realist here and I am in the RDF.
    Go Mairidís Beo

Theres no need to call out the reserve for the western flooding as the PDF have the situation well in hand.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
      Theres no need to call out the reserve for the western flooding as the PDF have the situation well in hand.
      I was talking about the TPT coy of the RDF. We can drive trucks too you know!
      Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Originally posted by Traumagod View Post
        Look lads. With all this talk about us going overseas and all that, the MA aren't even calling us out to assist in the flooding in the west at he moment. What does that tell you?? The MA do not want anything to do at all with the reserve. So all this talk of overseas service will remain what it is. A pipedream. Sorry to piss on peoples cornflakes but I'm being a realist here and I am in the RDF.
        Your a realist eh?

The MA's cant RELY on the present RDF to turn up even if mobilised to augment the PDF.

Remember -
        "We're all volunteers able to decide our own level of participation"
        - Willie O'Dea

How many times has your unit organised a field day with weeks of advance notice only for a handful to turn up?

And you expect the MA's to assume that a call in the middle of the night wil generate manpower. Thats not very realist thinking!
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
          Now someone looking for cuts can make a very good argument based on that.
          Firstly the RDF not asked to assist means RDF not needed therefore scrap RDF.
          We aren't even asked let alone mobilised.
          Secondly loads of PDF available to go out shows too many PDF in the west so either cut PDF numbers or redeploy.

I am not looking for cuts but we all know that every possible example is being used to bolster claims that RDF should be scrapped and PDF reduced.
          Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
            Now someone looking for cuts can make a very good argument based on that.
            Firstly the RDF not asked to assist means RDF not needed therefore scrap RDF.
            We aren't even asked let alone mobilised.
            Secondly loads of PDF available to go out shows too many PDF in the west so either cut PDF numbers or redeploy.

I am not looking for cuts but we all know that every possible example is being used to bolster claims that RDF should be scrapped and PDF reduced.
            Originally posted by Traumagod View Post
            Look lads. With all this talk about us going overseas and all that, the MA aren't even calling us out to assist in the flooding in the west at he moment. What does that tell you??

As I said.....
            Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

If they wanted to use the RDF to assist all they needed to do is contact one of the numeroud WBde units that were parading last night and get them out on the road assisting the PDF. Even just for 2hours would allow the PDF lads some rest time to dry out a little and eat a meal. BUt no there are plenty of PDF there so no need to bother with the RDF.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

If they wanted to use the RDF to assist all they needed to do is contact one of the numeroud WBde units that were parading last night and get them out on the road assisting the PDF. Even just for 2hours would allow the PDF lads some rest time to dry out a little and eat a meal. BUt no there are plenty of PDF there so no need to bother with the RDF.
                Actually just this minute received a text from our Trg Officer regarding our willingness and availability should we be called out! Still though I won't be holding my breath!
                Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Well at least thats something. Or is he on IMO and is trying to make you feel better.

What about you Z?

Would your band of warriors be prepared to give up Friday night socials to sand bag little old ladies housed or is it only mil ex and over seas that they care about?

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Well at least thats something. Or is he on IMO and is trying to make you feel better.

What about you Z?

Would your band of warriors be prepared to give up Friday night socials to sand bag little old ladies housed or is it only mil ex and over seas that they care about?
                    Haha.

I've already done the flood relief work last week and all this week in my local area including our business.

No problem giving others a hand. I reckon most of our unit would like the challenge too.
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Everyone should help their local community but the point is are you doing it under the guise of the RDF or as a Civvi?

You say you reckon most of your unit would do it but you said
                      Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                      The MA's cant RELY on the present RDF to turn up even if mobilised to augment the PDF.
                      Are you having your cake and eating it. Your unit is part of the present RDF!
                      Last edited by luchi; 20 November 2009, 14:12.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Oh everyone should help there local community alright, but thats not the reality.

Yes we are all part of the present RDF. The mobilisation plans are outside of my pay grade. If the plan calls for x amount of bods to be called up and only x-75% turn up, the plan falls to shite. No carrot to be called out, no stick either.

Typical Irish reactive response instead of pro-active.

Show me a properly laid out and formulated mobilisation and flood defence plan from the army, civil defence, county and city councils.

I heard locals businesses in cork complaining on the radio that no alerts were given to the Iniscarra dam having to release its gates during a high tide.

A lot of flooding could have been prevented if councils and kept road drains clear. Only having passed the site of flooding last week and the drains are still blocked and so flooded again.

Comment

I totally understand where you are coming from but it only makes the point even more.

If the DF don't want to use the RDF at home how and why the F-ck does anyone think for one second they would use us overseas.

This is nothing to do with the % that might turn up.
                          Its a simple they didn't look for anyone to turn up so as of right now they have 100% or the asked for turn out!

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Its a simple they didn't look for anyone to turn up so as of right now they have 100% or the asked for turn out!
                            Nothing to do with "asking" - PDF, hence, do as you are told
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Without question, and I say that as someone who hasn't been particularly active recently. Speaking to a few of the lads last night we were a bit surprised we weren't called up. Regardless of reliability and requirement, you'd have to assume any number of spare bodies wouldn't go astray at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X