RDF Serving Over........rivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madmullen58 View Post
    Some RDF Units have RDF bods assisting the Regulars in the South. I believe members of IMO are involved.
    correct
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Volunteers from the RDF units in the south have been called out finally!

The only issue now (as I found out) is that without employment security I'm powerless to act when my boss says "No". Is there any legislation at all that W o'D can evoke to say "in the event of a natural disaster then RDF personnel must be allowed form up with their units when requested"?
      "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Comment

RDF have not been called out, the DOD and PDF have requested volunteers its completely different. Its likely your boss will let you go. Firstly for the financial saving of not paying you for the days you're gone and then there is the humanitarian aspect, but that'd be second to the money.
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

If you re-read the post I didn't use a sweeping statement like "the RDF had been called out", I said that "Volunteers from the RDF units in the south have been called out finally!" - different to your statement.
          Also you don't know my boss or even where I work...

Comment

Dear
            Volunteers from the RDF units in the south have been called out finally!
            That's a contradiction. You can't be a Volunteer and be "Called Out" - not in the sense you mean. Called Out = you MUST go - it's a legal order that can't be refused.

Specific units etc. are called up. The reason for the distinction is that "CALLED UP" has a legality to it that means certain things, that the DOD and PDF are historically very reluctant to do. Last time IIRC was the 70s/80s for the Troubles IIRC.

See Para 87-91 of the Defence Act.
            http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1954/...018/index.html

There actually needs to have certain things happen before you can be "Called Up". Also if you go there is NO security. IIRC there is regulations round payment of PRSI while on permanent service but that's all.
            Last edited by trellheim; 26 November 2009, 11:56.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
              Called Out = you MUST go
              I guess that's a matter of opinion, I'd see "Called Up" as an order, not "Called Out".
              But anyway to save this from turning into a debate involving dictionary.com or other references I'll refer back to the original question again:

Can W o'D evoke some authority to over-rule an employer's negative answer when requested for leave in the current situation? If not how bad would the situation have to get before employers can be forced to allow RDF personal to leave?

Comment

I'm not sure you've picked up my point. If you are "Called" then it's an order and you must go, your employer has NO say [ Para 88 stuff I've never seen in practice and it doesn't apply here anyway ]

You are either
                A: volunteering to go or
                B : being ordered to go.

Case A: DOD has no role, you're doing it of free will.

Case B : Must fall under para 87,88 etc of Defence Act.

Under Case B Employer MUST let you go, he has no choice at all. But no callout is in force unless I'm mistaken ?

You see you are asking us for
                some authority to over-rule an employer's negative answer
                - I am giving you one.

You need a legal basis for service as a member. The only ones in law are Para 86-93 of the Act. Unless what you want to do falls in there somewhere there is no basis for what you are doing.
                Last edited by trellheim; 26 November 2009, 12:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Llorrac View Post
                  Can W o'D evoke some authority to over-rule an employer's negative answer when requested for leave in the current situation? If not how bad would the situation have to get before employers can be forced to allow RDF personal to leave?
                  No he cannot evoke any authority.

How bad would the sit have to get? Probably when the floods are coming under your bosses door then he might consider it, but only then.

Your safest option is to tell your unit you're not available.
                  It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Even if you are called out there is nothing to stop your employer sacking you!

Comment

but [ IIRC ] if he does make you redundant then all time served with the RDF is reckonable for redundancy, which is a nice slap in the face .....

Comment

Originally posted by Llorrac View Post
                        The only issue now (as I found out) is that without employment security I'm powerless to act when my boss says "No".
                        Sorry I'm just a tad confused.
                        Did you boss say and there is nothing you can do?
                        or
                        Did you not bother to ask because because yuo reckon he will say no because thats what you hav been told?

I was talking to a guy in Cork today. 3 of the lads in his office were off with the CD. His boss is whinging but has the cop to let it go.
                        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Even if you are called out there is nothing to stop your employer sacking you!
                          Realistically the RDF won't be called out unless the reds are coming over the hill, in which case your employment status should be the least of your worries.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            I'm not sure you've picked up my point. If you are "Called" then it's an order and you must go, your employer has NO say [ Para 88 stuff I've never seen in practice and it doesn't apply here anyway ]
                            Your employer has no say untill you come back to work and there is someone else doing your job for cheaper!

Comment

Are there any joint exercises between the civil defence and the regulars / reserve ?
                              Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Jimmy Deenihan (Kerry North, Fine Gael)

Question 197: To ask the Minister for Defence the reason the Reserve Defence Force was not used in the recent flooding emergency; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [45103/09]
                                Willie O'Dea (Minister, Department of Defence; Limerick East, Fianna Fail)

The Government’s White Paper on Defence sets out the role the Defence Forces might play in the provision of support and services to other public agencies and the community in general. The Defence Forces can provide assistance in the maintenance of essential services during natural disasters and in major accidents and emergencies. The level of support that can be provided by the Defence Forces is demand led and provided on an “as available basis”, having regard to both current and contingent Defence Forces operational commitments.

The Framework for Major Emergency Management sets out a structure enabling the Principal Response Agencies (An Garda Síochána, the Health Service Executive and Local Authorities) to prepare for, and make a coordinated response to, major emergencies resulting from events such as severe weather. The Defence Forces have met all requests for assistance from within the existing capacity and resources of the Permanent Defence Forces without the need to call on the Reserve.
                                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                                X