X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand bags filler

With all of the flooding, nobody has asked :

"How does the army fill sandbags?"

Are they still filling them by hand? It wouldn't surprise me if they were.

Anyway here are some sandbag filling machines:

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Originally posted by FougaM View Post

Anyway here are some sandbag filling machines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caYPP...eature=related
    Yes, we have them and they are being used in the flooded areas.

Comment

There was using a frame that holds them on the news the other day (yes by hand).

Comment

Still proudly filling by hand. Soldiers do however ask why are we still filling them by hand.

Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
        Really? I've participated in flood relief every year for the last 10 to 12 years and I've never seen one. Last Friday I was one of a group filling by hand in a frequently flooded town.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Proof?
          But there's no danger
          It's a professional career
          Though it could be arranged
          With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
          If you're out of luck you're out of work
          We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

The sandbag filling machine featured on the news was a steel frame holding three inverted traffic cones, under which the target bag was put.It worked but was as slow as hell.Should the DF / CD / County Councils stock up such things as Hesco barriers, or variations of?
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Of course they should but that cost money.

In the east sand bags are not filled by hand...........

We use a shove like these guysl!!!!!

Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

As GTTC said, frame with invertred traffic cone. But its not slow...

Two shovelling,
                Two holding sandbag under cones,
                Two to tie bags,
                One to stack on pallets.

Two sets of the above, add a little wager between PDF and RDF equals 64 full pallets in 3 days.....

Oh and add in an idiot on the fork lift (ME) all works well
                Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Comment

Should the DF / CD / County Councils stock up such things as Hesco barriers, or variations of?
                  regards
                  GttC

Hesco is awesome , saves on time and manpower , requires some plant to fill ( a jcb ) and a plate compactor for the contents but so much better than sandbags
                  Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by old rec View Post
                    As GTTC said, frame with invertred traffic cone. But its not slow...

Two shovelling,
                    Two holding sandbag under cones,
                    Two to tie bags,
                    One to stack on pallets.

Two sets of the above, add a little wager between PDF and RDF equals 64 full pallets in 3 days.....

Oh and add in an idiot on the fork lift (ME) all works well
                    So that is seven personnel before the sand bags even get put onto a truck or into a barrier, pretty poor efficiency if you ask me.

64 pallets in 3 days??? Since when do flood warnings come 3 days before an incident?

64 pallets are needed hours before the flooding.

Lets say that they are all privates, then that is €12,000 approx. to create 64 pallets of sand bags, not including the cost of sand, bags, or support. Pretty expensive when that money could be used to buy a machine and use the troops to stack the bags on a barrier or other duties.

As usual the solution is to throw personnel at problems.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                      Proof?
                      None need to be given, look at the news and you will see the lads filling them by hand.

In Galway it is being done by hand ( Shovel of course ) for the last week or so, behind Galway Bay FM where n oone can see them working away.

Comment

I'm sure its great exercise.
                        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Hesco is great at making shrapnel-proof cover, but I doubt it'd be much use in stopping water from getting into someone's house.

Comment

Must be on issue only to the Shinners then.

Comment

So that is seven personnel before the sand bags even get put onto a truck or into a barrier, pretty poor efficiency if you ask me.

64 pallets in 3 days??? Since when do flood warnings come 3 days before an incident?

64 pallets are needed hours before the flooding.

Lets say that they are all privates, then that is €12,000 approx. to create 64 pallets of sand bags, not including the cost of sand, bags, or support. Pretty expensive when that money could be used to buy a machine and use the troops to stack the bags on a barrier or other duties.

As usual the solution is to throw personnel at problems.

Good reply - a few errors though.

Ok, first off you asked a question about the sandbags being filled by hand - the answer is YES as almost every other poster has answered including myself.

Poor efficiency? Probably, but the sandbags needed to be filled asap. Your linked mechanical devises would pump out sandbags at super speed, however not one of them TIES the individual bags.

The above mentioned figure for pallets ready for use is from Tues to Thurs. Other members of my unit were filling and stacking bags the previous week when the flood waters were rising and continued to fill and stack last weekend.

The 64 filled pallets are on standby for the weekend. This thing isnt over yet, not in the west anyway!

Where did you get the 12K figure from???
                              The PDF were getting paid already (there was talk about extra duty pay).
                              The RDF weren't getting paid.
                              The sand would be needed anyway if your Walter Mitty machines were in use!!
                              Likewise the sandbags.
                              The pallets were..... ahem... aquired.
                              The Fire Service provided the yard and tools. They fed us also.
                              Very little cost for an essential service.

Really its about what was needed on the ground - Manual labour. A big fancy machine could have done the job too but there are questions then of who pays for it? Who owns it? Who is responsible for Maintenance? If it was government owned where would it be kept? (The e- voting machine storage debacle again???)

Please dont take this as a personal attack against you Fouga. One of the linked machines would have been ideal had there been sufficient warning and time to place the machines in affected area's prior to the incidents.

It just smacks of an officers idea. While their debating the merits of the machine, us NCO's and Pte's are out in the shed simply filling the bags by hand. ie. getting the job done..
                              Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Comment

Working...
                              X