Sam Browne Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goc,
    If a RDF member is a commissioned officer and applies to the PDF, will he keep his commission? I don't think so. So an officer is not really an officer. There are PDF officers and there are RDF officers. Not the same thing it seems.

Later.
    No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

In 1988 charlie haughey sanctioned the transfer of a number of reserve officcers to the PDF.They retained their rank and seniority.Teir promotional level was capped at commandant as they were no staff qualified....as is the case for officers comissioned from the ranks.

sam Browne belts are not on the issue scale to any members of the RDF and so are not to be worn by mebers of the RDF of any rank........And thats the official line......aload of shite I know buts thats what the book says.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The commissioned rank in RDF carries the same weight as a commissioned rank in the PDF. When you apply for the cadets (and you are an RDF officer) you resign your commission. There has been cases of officers being transfered into the PDF from RDF.

Sam Browne belts for Senior NCOs have been sanctioned, Sam Browne belts for Officers has not.

There, end of discussion.

Comment

fair enough..........regarding RDF officers joining the cadets .....could see too many instances of this given the age requirements and the lead in service required for Rdf officers....any known instances of RDF officers actually ending up in the PDF officer ranks via the cadet school........I know of a couple of transfers from the RDF to the PDF but would love to hear of the former.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

There has been a couple of instances. Not very common due to age, but given that you can become a cadet at 24, it has happened. Remember all you have to be in the RDF to be eligible for commission is 1 year in the rank of corporal. So if you joined at age 17 and became a Cpl within 2 years (it has happened), that makes you 19, then 20 when you went for the first year, 21 on completion of first year and maybe commissioned at that age. Yep still enough time to join the cadets.

Though I would admit it is very rare

Comment

Has a person ever taken a RDF DE commission, and then went into Cadet School, or taken a PDF DE?

Comment

Are you talking about engineers and doctors?

I don't know about RDF DE officers doing the same in the PDF, but I do know of an RDF cpl that took a DE Engineer Commission in the PDF.

Comment

I know of three cases in the last two years where on the last RDF Potential Officers Course (2 Years long), 2 who had completed year one of the course went into the cadets and one who had completed the two years of the course and was due to be commissioned this year got into the cadets.
                  I know that the two from year one went at Cpl Rank and the one from year 2 also went at Cpl rank as he was not yet commissioned into the RDF.

Hopefully none of the lads involved will forget their time in the FCA/RDF and will have positive attitudes towards their former comrades in the Reserves.
                  "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20
                    The commissioned rank in RDF carries the same weight as a commissioned rank in the PDF. When you apply for the cadets (and you are an RDF officer) you resign your commission. There has been cases of officers being transfered into the PDF from RDF.
                    It would seem that it does not carry the same weight at all. Why would a RDF officer have to resign his commission, go through the Cadet School, (which is Officer training school), and then be recommissioned?

If RDF officers were allowed to transfer to PDF and keep their commissions, was this a once off deal? Is there a system in place to allow this to happen in then future etc. Were they regular "line" officers or Doctors, Engineers etc.

Later.

Comment

You are choosing to become a cadet. The RDF rank carries the same weight as the PDF rank in authority and responsibility. If you had an RDF Captain and a PDF Lt and something happened the senior man is the RDF Captain. Both commissions come from the President and in the seniorority structure the RDF officers are intermingled with PDF depending on their rank and years in the rank.

Comment

Of course I am not saying that RDF officers get the same respect.

Comment

B20, I realise that a person chooses to become a Cadet, but whats the point? The Cadet School, as tradition and honor filled as it may be, is just a commissioning source. RDF officer schools are another commissioning source. If these commissions were really recognized as equivalent, then it would be no trouble for an FCA officer to switch to PDF and retain rank/commission.

The system seems to be saying that the RDF commission is worthless, and that if you want to be a "real" officer then you have to go to the "real" commissioning school.

Maybe this is not the issue at all. I always thought that the PDF was recognized as being "top-heavy" anyway, ie too many officers. Could it be that the DF don't want officers transfering in from the FCA side as they don't have the slots for them? If this did happen as a once off deal some years back, perhaps it was just a quick fix to remedy an immediate shortage of commissioned personnel?

Comment

I think that the reasoning behind the top heavy approach was that in times of need there would be a core element of trained personnel that could cater for a rapid intake of untrained personnel...if the need arose.the top heavy approach also pertained to the NCO ranks in that there would always be a corp element to carry out training whilst there would also be a fully trained elelment to fight.If only the logistics were run on the same line of thought.

Comment

Strummer / B20, the proof will be in the pudding.......lets see how well RDF units integrate with it PDF counterparts in the reorganisation in the near future

Comment

FCA officer joing PDF

THis happened in my coy a good few years back, a CQMS and Lt Joined the PDF, these were knowen as lucky bags, instead of sand bags!
                                Any way they were full time FCA so they were on the pay roll of the state for a long time. I think it was the case that the was a end to full time FCA so the offer was made become PDF or go away and come back on sundays as fca.
                                This might possibly be the case if intergration doesn't work out?

Comment

Working...
                                X