Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piper_69
    replied
    There was a book written by a former captain (Ryan I think but I could be wrong) called Tough At The Bottom. Not a bad book and it contains details of the battle of Jadotville.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    The writer of Lebanon Diaries was/is a military policeman so you aren't going to get an infantryman's view.

There has been very little written about some of the action the Irish have seen but those there are are mainly about the Congo in the 60s and Lebanon in the 70s/80s/90s.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    We also have a "Good Books" Thread that is well worth a look.

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    replied
    Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
    From what i recall the Lebanon Diaries was not exactly a roller coaster ride of soldiering on the front lines,
    If you want that, your going to find it very hard to extract it from the Irish Army.

If action is what you prefer, looking at my bookself:

Once a Warrior King,
    One Bullet away,
    If I die in a combat zone
    3 Para,
    Shoot to Kill,
    13 cent killers
    Get Rommel,
    An Ordinary Soldier,
    House to house,
    The killing Zone
    IN the company of soldiers
    The Green Marine,
    Berlin: The downfall,
    Bearded Brigands,

to name but a few.

Leave a comment:

• CS Gass
    replied
    From what i recall the Lebanon Diaries was not exactly a roller coaster ride of soldiering on the front lines, you will definitely be able to put it down. so keep that in mind before you spend your hard earned on it, not that its a bad book its just not what some including me would desire from a book such as this

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    replied
    The Lebanon Diaries by Martin Malone

Leave a comment:

• Buck
    replied
    are there any books about their time serving in the DF? i know theres a book about jadotville but im not sure if that was written by a soldier...

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by knocker View Post
    @ Truck Driver
    Do you have the titles of the boks written by former wing members ? Would be great to read about their exploits
    Well, no, I don' t know of any former Wing members who have written about their
    time in the Wing

What I was referring to was that fomer and serving members of the DF
    have written books, just not about Wing service

Brendan O'Shea, for instance (think he's a Commandant now) is somewhat of
    a history buff, and has a number of publications to his name, of a historical
    nature

Leave a comment:

• knocker
    replied
    @ Truck Driver
    Do you have the titles of the boks written by former wing members ? Would be great to read about their exploits
    Last edited by knocker; 22 December 2009, 10:46.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Buck View Post
    have any irish soldiers atal written books?
    Serving or former ?

The answer to both questions is yes, in any case
    Obviously, in the case of serving personnel, the content of such publications
    would have to be vetted

In the case of former personnel, they would have to be mindful of the provisions
    of legislation such as the Offences Against The State Act and The Official Secrets
    Act, to name but two, when publishing books

Leave a comment:

• Buck
    replied
    Originally posted by knocker View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a restriction on former wing members writing of their experiences ?
    have any irish soldiers atal written books?

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
    I was told it was one on TRAIL ONLY.
    PM me if you want to know more.OPSEC.

Leave a comment:

• knocker
    replied
    Does anyone know if there is a restriction on former wing members writing of their experiences ?

Leave a comment:

• pdf head
    replied
    i actualy have dat full length video!! it goes for around 5 mins best ranger wing/army video that iv'e ever seen!!

Leave a comment:

• turbocalves
    replied
    Originally posted by Buck View Post
    trainers or no trainers, you wouldnt exactly laugh at him would you? or indeed point that out to him? :D
    why wouldnt ya????

I had a mate kick one of his gun during a RDF DC's course......

the wing were doin the op for the shoot and this wingo was been given a once over of the 105, and said something disparaging about the Arty Corps.... My mate told him to shut up he was all talk and to get off his gun, your man was shocked, and realised that just because my mate was a bagger didnt mean he was gonna take shite off him. Said mate is now a Garda and a loss to the Reg......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X