X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiannoglach
    replied
    Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
    Did anyone read the article in todays Irish News (page 11) about a Lt Col Mark Mc Kinney from the Royal Marines teaching in the UN School at the Curragh.
    Met him about 3-4 weeks ago, he was instructing on the CIMIC Cse, nice guy.

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    He is not the first RM to lecture in the DFTC in the recent past-

I was at a lecture by a Capt there in te late 90's

Tim COllins practically has a room there and there was a WO on a course with me down there.

All good lads,

I think its great to see- if we learn from the ecperiences and mistakes of others

and it makes our lads even 1 iota beter and safer

then bring it on

Leave a comment:

• RoyalGreenJacket
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

RGJs humour is that of one who does the job for a living...
    thanks Murph, finally someone who can see through the fog of war!

kind words indeed and much better coming from you than from me.

lol - i DO genuinely think that news of this Royal Marine teaching in the Curragh is worthy of notice - it's been 87 years lads since something like this has happened [given our colourfull history together) so i think it's a really good thing, a step in the right direction and i'd love if we had some of your experiences from Chad, Liberia and other Irish DF deployments passed on to us [the Brits] in a similar exchange here in mainland UK.

like it or not, we are Allies and should endeavour to be helping each other along the way - but as you rightly pointed out - banter will always prevail!

anyhow, it's Christmas Eve now and i wish EVERYONE - including you Paul G, a very Happy Christmas (god it kills me to even say his name! - i'm joking Paul!) and even better new year in 2010 than last year.

no hard feelings fellas! goodnight ladies.

and remember - it's Warfare, not Welfare!
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 24 December 2009, 01:53.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Indeed British officers have been students at UNTSI too!

Leave a comment:

• Jonesy
    replied
    I don't see what people are getting in a flap about.

Its the UN school...Ireland and England are members of the UN.
    And its not as if he is the first officer to lecture from an overseas force in the college either.

Officers from all nationalities have lectured there, or attended the college in some capacity. Its not that big of a deal.

Leave a comment:

• rod and serpent
    replied
    Originally posted by dingo42 View Post
    Didn't know that was your type of scene Knocker
    Knocker and Bootie the best double act since Morcombe and Wise.

Leave a comment:

• dingo42
    replied
    Originally posted by knocker View Post
    ah yes , naked roll mat fighting , another fine booty tradition ........
    Didn't know that was your type of scene Knocker

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    your an awful small minded tit do you know that....

can you just come on and post without havin a go????

Why cant you be like the rest of the Brits round here, who just get on with discussion and keep the my cock is bigger than your cock, to its relevant thread????
    This is furthur evidence of the great divide between reservists and those who do the job for a living.

Having been on both sides of the fence I know the finer details of the mindest involved.

RGJs humour is that of one who does the job for a living.. if you offer an opinion in his world you had better be able to defend it because all of his ilk with take offence if you differ.Despite the introduction of rules and regulations the honest to goodness scarcasm , wit and snide remarks of soldiers , sailors and airmen will remain eternal.

Should you object to any of this or take offence ..maybe you should stick to your own side of the fence and not dabble in theirs.

I for one am glad to see that wit, sarcasm, and generally normally unacceptable behaviour has survived and is well and that some one still takes offence, which is good indicator that those who offer it haven't lost the knack.

It may appear smartarsed of course it is..it is the wit of the serviceman intended to offend, you don't like reading it....just leave....after all.its a military board, thistype of comment is to be prommoted. Far too much moderation in place.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 23 December 2009, 16:58.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    According to this months An Cosantoir there was a delegation from Georgia here to see how our reserves are organised, god help Georgia!

Leave a comment:

• knocker
    replied
    ah yes , naked roll mat fighting , another fine booty tradition ........

Leave a comment:

• rod and serpent
    replied
    Originally posted by knocker View Post
    So a royal is going to the curragh ? mmmmmmmmmm very dodgy lot , all that naval slang - going for a "wet" instead of a brew , going to the "head" for a slash, very strange .....but as hes from portrush and its a great night on the batter ill let it go this one time
    I can feel an episode of naked roll mat wrestling coming on.
    Last edited by rod and serpent; 23 December 2009, 17:10.

Leave a comment:

• knocker
    replied
    So a royal is going to the curragh ? mmmmmmmmmm very dodgy lot , all that naval slang - going for a "wet" instead of a brew , going to the "head" for a slash, very strange .....but as hes from portrush and its a great night on the batter ill let it go this one time

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied
    Lt Col McKinney spent 17 years as a regular in the Royal Marines and completed five tours there.
    It's also worthy of note that Royal Marine Reservists complete the exact same Commando tests that regular Royal Marines complete, and are held to the exact same standards at all stages.

Leave a comment:

• Vickers
    replied
    "I am immensely proud and humbled that a reservist was offered such a positive ground-breaking opportunity," he (Lt Col Mark Mc Kinney) said.
    Nice to see that the DF (and PDF members here) appreciate a reservist (even though he is not one of their own).
    Last edited by Vickers; 23 December 2009, 00:17. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Craghopper
    replied
    Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    yeah - how dare you even mention it Rod!

not like this has happened in the past 87 years or anything!

it's a good thing and hopefully we will see a lot more of it in the future.
    Okay Okay ...! lol

Its the First RM to lecture

I'm delighted we are getting the vast experience of Lt Col Mark McKinney.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X