Indoor formal parades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor formal parades?

congrats to them all - they look fantastic and well deserved commissions i am sure.

but why oh why have such an important ceremony inside a sports hall?!

they deserve to be on a proper drill square in all it's glory.

but well done to them all anyhow.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    congrats to them all - they look fantastic and well deserved commissions i am sure.

but why oh why have such an important ceremony inside a sports hall?!

they deserve to be on a proper drill square in all it's glory.

but well done to them all anyhow.
    Eh.... it rain(s)(ed) !!! But there was a march past with band playing in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
      Eh.... it rain(s)(ed) !!! But there was a march past with band playing in the morning.
      Originally posted by kermit
      It's January...

They were outside when they were held in May.
      the first pic clearly shows there was no sign of rain.

unless its absolutely torrential rain - events like this should always happen outside and the decision to have it indoors should only be taken as a last resort fall back 'wet weather plan' if it is actually hammering down at the time of the parade.

they are soldiers (well - officers!) after all.

but withstanding that, fair play to them, they all look great and i wish them all the best in their army careers.
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

they are soldiers (well - officers!) after all.

THe guests aren't, although going by a few photos.......
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
          THe guests aren't, although going by a few photos.......
          yeah so set up a covered seating area (available to hire) by the side of the drill square for everyone to watch, it's common practice elsewhere.
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

No need to hire one, there are plenty of tents knocking about.
            "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

yeah so set up a covered seating area (available to hire) by the side of the drill square for everyone to watch, it's common practice elsewhere.
              Why bother spending money on covered seating when there's a perfectly suitable gym available!
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Why bother spending money on covered seating
                They wouldnt have too even if they didnt use the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                  Why bother spending money on covered seating when there's a perfectly suitable gym available!
                  how is it perfectly suitable?! suitable as in dry?

soldiers parade on parade squares!!!

even my boys cub scout unit do not parade inside as parading indoors looks and feels tacky and there is no atmosphere.

how can you hear the metal studs in their brogues clobbering across the gravel / tarmac in a wooden floored gym?!

sorry lads - whoever organised it has let them down big time.

but don't let that take away from what they have achieved themselves, must have been a tough and tight course with so few in numbers.
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Yes.

So what/ of the many passing out parades held in the curragh every year how many would be rained on...a lot!
                    So ****ing what if their parade is held in a gym it dosen't matter if its held on the moon it still achieves the same thing.

even my boys cub scout unit do not parade inside as parading indoors looks and feels tacky and there is no atmosphere.
                    Your secret is revealed..your not a BA soldier with extensive knowledge of the BA's recruiting sites...you're actually a boy scout (leader!?)

how can you hear the metal studs in their brogues clobbering across the gravel / tarmac in a wooden floored gym?!
                    No, because there isn't any.

but don't let that take away from what they have achieved themselves, must have been a tough and tight course with so few in numbers.
                    The cermony is only that...its just a ceremony...they'll remember the course a lot better than the ceremony in a few years down the line!
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by concussion View Post
                      No need to hire one, there are plenty of tents knocking about.

from http://www.rdf.ie/media-gallery/?g2_itemId=1329 Standdown of an Forsa Cosanta Aitiuil, and an Slua Muiri on the 1st of October 2005
                      "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

So what/ of the many passing out parades held in the curragh every year how many would be rained on...a lot!
                        are you on a different planet to me or something Jack? i know Ireland may be a little more 'moist' than the UK but how many pass out parades do you think we have every year in the England, Scotland, Wales - tenfold that of those in Ireland i should imagine and we manage ok.

So ****ing what if their parade is held in a gym it dosen't matter if its held on the moon it still achieves the same thing.
                        you can conduct the parade like a school assembly in a gym or you can conduct it like a proper parade on a parade square - i know which i would prefer no mater what the weather, as i alluded to before - these are soldiers after all.

Your secret is revealed..your not a BA soldier with extensive knowledge of the BA's recruiting sites...you're actually a boy scout (leader!?)
                        lol, my own boys are in the cub scouts but i leave the scout leader role to the RAF lads who do this as a 'secondary duty' and get reported on annually as such.

No, because there isn't any.
                        isn't any what? shoes or steel caps / studs? surely they don't just wear rubber soled boots?

The cermony is only that...its just a ceremony...they'll remember the course a lot better than the ceremony in a few years down the line!
                        i dunno about you Jack but as one of the most important days in my life, i'll never ever forget the actual parade on the day i completed my basic training and passed off the parade square - the weather, the atmosphere, the noise of our boots digging into the ground as we marched past our parents, the shouting, the banging of the drum and the call of the bugle. it's not 'just a ceremony'.

i remember many parts of training but i certainly don't remember the whole course.

i've watched similar parades with the Canadian Army and a couple of other NATO armies who all did it on parade squares (sometimes in the rain) and i've taken part in many parades with my own army and i cringe at the thought of doing anything similar inside a school gym!

i still stand by my guns - your guys (and girls) deserved better on the day in recognition of their achievements and they should have done this parade outdoors on a parade square. parading in a gym like that makes the whole thing very 'mickey mouse' and this should not be the case due to the nature of the event.

lol yes terrier, i do feel strongly about this - maybe i'm just venting my frustration for the tens of hours over the past 21 years that i have stood and marched during parades in the rain or anything the British weather threw at us! - and i'm a just Rifleman from the 'Slack Jackets' where we never really experienced bullshit. i wonder what a proper Guardsman would make of all this! lol

but that's just my opinion for what it's worth anyhow, lets not go off thread.
                        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 23 January 2010, 23:24.
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

As usual the irish army cant do anything right it seems......good ol' british army telling us how to do it
                          Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Originally posted by ollie View Post
                            As usual the irish army cant do anything right it seems......good ol' british army telling us how to do it
                            if the cap fits, wear it...
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by ollie View Post
                              Of course, they should have played "land of hope and glory" or "Jerusalem", and while they're at it, why can't that uniform be more like the british one?

Them fuzzie wuzzies, they don't like it up 'em saahh!!

Comment

Working...
                              X