No announcement yet.

Indoor formal parades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another point re indoors; the acoustics of a hangar provide for a great sound, especially if the footdrill and arms drill are spot on. For Air Corps people, being paraded in a hangar was always regarded as the proper job, especially with aircraft positioned behind, so you got a real sense of identifying with the job ahead.
    regards
    GttC

Comment

Probably sent the topic a bit off course there, my bad, apologies. Don't want to get into a middle east argument, the comment just stood out to me. So how bout them indoor parades...?
      Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

no worries, MODS - how about dragging this deviation to a new thread?

I belive there is a time and a place for a parade indoors:

1 when its propper pissing down rain.

2 if its a small scale low key event with less than about 6 soldiers

we just had a medals presentation for 5 soldiersINDOORS in the Sgts Mess and it worked fine, had the right atmosphere and was about 10 metres from the bar!

thats just my opinion anyhow.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          no worries, MODS - how about dragging this deviation to a new thread?

I belive there is a time and a place for a parade indoors:

1 when its propper pissing down rain.

2 if its a small scale low key event with less than about 6 soldiers

we just had a medals presentation for 5 soldiersINDOORS in the Sgts Mess and it worked fine, had the right atmosphere and was about 10 metres from the bar!

thats just my opinion anyhow.
          ah here:

When we were talking parades no one mentioned Medal Parades-

under NO circumstances possible should a Medal Parade be held indoors-

I remember one medal parade in the leb and with about 10 medals left to award

Groundhog was given- the BSM shouted "Standfast"- the remain medals were given and

as the shells were landing on Al Yatun- we legged it to the bunkers-

Medal parades outside seperate the men from the riflemen
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

"As the shells came raining down " , What a great break HH are in the lead. and I totally agree with you re medal parades.. must be held outside regardless of the weather and for really important medal parades all participants should be naked except for webbing,

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              I remember one medal parade in the leb and with about 10 medals left to award

Groundhog was given- the BSM shouted "Standfast"- the remain medals were given and

as the shells were landing on Al Yatun- we legged it to the bunkers
              Now THAT'S one for the "My Willy Is Bigger Than Yours" (AKA "The Throwing Breaks") Thread

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
              I totally agree with you re medal parades.. must be held outside regardless of the weather and for really important medal parades all participants should be naked except for webbing,
              No need to copy EVERYTHING the Brits do....

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                "all participants should be naked except for webbing,
                Who let the old 7th Bn in on this, careful with the the Mowags now, sshhhh, don't tell anyone and for Jaysus sake leave the whistling out of this.

On a serious note, the best passing out like event I was ever at went like this.

2star soldiers and their NCO's fell in at the end of a parade night
                marched onto the square in the dark
                Were handed over to the Pln Cmder
                Opened Ranks
                Pln Cmder then went to each 2star soldier and handed them their 3star rank markings which they put on, shook their hand and congratulated them
                Closed ranks
                handed back to the pln sgt
                marched off the square through the arch of the main block in McKee and fell out

No rain thankfully but if it hadn't of been raining that wouldnt have mattered
                No BS either, just the soldiers and their leaders, it was a very personal thing because it was only the people that had worked for their ranks and those that had helped them achieve it, no family, no onlookers, just us
                courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Indoor didn't work out too well for this guy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...la-dinner.html

A poxy uniform, they look like the Prince August soldiers that they used to make in that factory in Macroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post

A poxy uniform, they look like the Prince August soldiers that they used to make in that factory in Macroom.
                    I hope that rifle was okay after that fall.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      well that's a new one to me Sofa, in my 21 years in the British Army as a Rifleman i've been called many things but never a 'handbag'.

the only 'handbags' i've heard of are the Data Operators in the Royal Signals due to the little bags of Crypto they carry everywhere with them.
                      Never met a QA then, RGJ? (Just ask Rod & Serpent!!!)
                      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post

Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
                        I hope that rifle was okay after that fall.
                        The former 20 Inf Bn had AT LEAST one of those each time an RDF parade was
                        held for the GOC in CBB, back a while ago now

Although, usually, as those parades were on Sunday mornings, an over imbibing
                        of "soup" the night before, was probably a contributing factor in many cases

(and yes, the rifle was nearly always caught first !!!)

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

there is always someone with a camera

Comment

I suppose that the simple solution to solving the dilemma of outdoor v. indoor parades is to simplify the problem.

January and December are more than likely a write off for the weather. So why have a parade during theese months if it is in all likelihood going to rain.

The rest of the year is more or less good enough weather for an outdoor parade.

Looks much more professional to have a parade out on the square anyway. Gives your unit a sense of pride too.

Comment

Working...
                            X