Irish army assault course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish army assault course

Anyone done it, how was it ? I suppose it has to be infantry girl friendly, why it appears to not look v challenging.

Why the army needs an assault course...This assault course in located in the Defence Forces Training Centre in the Curragh.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 25 January 2010, 21:08.

Theres 3 levels of hardness.
    The inside track is the easiest and the outside hardest.
    The wall is the hardest part of it I found trying to 360 it without falling of or holding on to the top.
    It is challenging testing your confidence when working at height, teamwork, claustrophobia, endurance and strength etc.

Comment

I found the cargo net and the monkey bars the most challenging.You DONT wanna be afraid of heights doing that net.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

The nets what? 8m high at most!

Try this sometime!

"The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post

Try this sometime!

have you?
          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
          He put a bullet through his brain.
          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

most times our boat was in the stopover. Once off spain in the med on the qualifier to watch for whales.
            Numerous times at work previous but not as high as the vo70.

Other q. Whats with the tarmac on the assault course? Better to have a bit of grass/mud no?
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Not a patch on the Gormanston course - drunk - in the dark - backwards (the course that is, not running backwards)
              "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Whats with the tarmac on the assault course? Better to have a bit of grass/mud no?
                Longer lasting and they won't have to pay someone to cut it.
                Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
                  Theres 3 levels of hardness.
                  The inside track is the easiest and the outside hardest.
                  The wall is the hardest part of it I found trying to 360 it without falling of or holding on to the top.
                  It is challenging testing your confidence when working at height, teamwork, claustrophobia, endurance and strength etc.
                  Could do with a bit of mud, maybe putting the smartee tubes underwater, few balance beams up in the air, monkey bars above some cold,deep muddy water, et, etc.

It does look a bit health and safety orientated.

How long does it take on average to get around ?
                  Last edited by Vanguard; 26 January 2010, 01:23.

Comment

I've climbed trees bigger then that bai!!

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                      I found the cargo net and the monkey bars the most challenging.You DONT wanna be afraid of heights doing that net.
                      You are being funny ?

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Lucky your not a civilian.

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Looks like fun.
                        Last edited by Vanguard; 26 January 2010, 11:55.

Comment

Try this sometime!

What do you want ? A cigar?
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Looks like they got the fisherprice architects in to design the assault course!
                            Gormo assault course is sadly no more... just a few relics are left standing from it...
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

is there a modern assault course in every brigade i know there was 1 in cork but dont know if its still in use
                              Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X