No announcement yet.

Adventure Outdoor Events.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switzerland- Gen. Guisan Walk Weekend 19/20 June 2010.

For anyone who may be in Western Switzerland on the weekend of 19/20 June this year there is an annual walk in honour of General Henri Guisan over that weekend near Lausanne. It is open to all, including families and the routes vary from 6-40km. It is a very pleasant weekend in a beautiful landscape and you will be made very welcome. It is also a great way of getting to meet the local people.

It would also be worth visiting the Guisan Museum at Pully and for those interested in military kit the Swiss Army Arsenal at Morges Castle has a liquidation-shop where you can buy all sorts of Swiss kit from Swiss Army bicycles to Army skis.

For.inf. on the walk:

For inf. on General Henri Guisan

Inf on the Museum:

And Switzerland is not as expensive as some people think!

Tim Horgan
    Last edited by timhorgan; 7 March 2010, 10:31. Reason: typo

Comment

Duncan Clark Mountain Leader, Survival Trainer and Coach will help you prepare for adventure. Outdoor, overseas travel, fitness, safety & survival skills.

This company has ex SAS instructors they run various courses, inc a long drag march(culmination of a weeks long progressivly longer marches in UKSOF phase 1 selection), 55lbs over 45 miles of the Brecons,navigating alone.

Some attempt it for charity. In Winter its alot harder then attempting it in the summer. So Summer is the best time to give it a crack, unless you like navigating in featurless terrain alone in the dark/frost/high winds/sleet/fog etc.

You get 2O hours to complete it.

Irishman Paddy Doyle (now an endurance athlete) , ex Para/ex 23 SAS trooper holds the records, 14 hours.
      Last edited by Vanguard; 7 March 2010, 12:35.

Comment

Trellheim,

SWISS RAID COMMANDO COMPETITION.

This is tough and run every 2 years -and subsidised by the Swiss Army and open to other armies to send a team- Has the Army ever participated?

The entry costs are very low, it looks like it was only 300 Euro per team in 2009. The website below is quite comprehensive:

Some ideas of the event-

From the Estonians:

The 18th edition of the SWISS RAID COMMANDO (SRC) will be held September 24 through September 27, 2009 on French and Swiss territory: the Chablais Valaisan, ...

Tim Horgan
        Last edited by timhorgan; 8 March 2010, 12:26.

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
          That looks awesome Tim!

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
            That looks awesome Tim!
            CS,

Could you not use your influence-and IMO- to try and get an Army Team for 2011.
            Mind you, the Estonians said that there was an all-woman Norwegian team that did very well.

But ,you are right, it does seem to be quite a competition- and the site itself has lots of good info.

Please do not mention it but I think that the Norwegian girls beat the BA Team- I must look it up but I think they were 2 Para- the one run by an Irishman?

Thanks
            Tim

PS

Stop Press!!!
            Yes- The Norwegian Girls came 10/150 and the BA Boys came 68/150. But fair play to the "lads" as RGJ would say!!
            Last edited by timhorgan; 8 March 2010, 17:02.

Comment

Cambrian Patrol.
              Nijmegen Marches.

Comment

While I welcome the hardcore stuff, please remember that local events [ ie in Ireland ] have a better chance of attendance !

For example [ keeping to the hardcore ] IMRA are running a Wicklow Way Ultra 51k on the 27th March ... Eoin Keith'll probably win again.
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

CS,

Could you not use your influence-and IMO- to try and get an Army Team for 2011.
                  Mind you, the Estonians said that there was an all-woman Norwegian team that did very well.

But ,you are right, it does seem to be quite a competition- and the site itself has lots of good info.

Please do not mention it but I think that the Norwegian girls beat the BA Team- I must look it up but I think they were 2 Para- the one run by an Irishman?

Thanks
                  Tim

PS

Stop Press!!!
                  Yes- The Norwegian Girls came 10/150 and the BA Boys came 68/150. But fair play to the "lads" as RGJ would say!!

Perhaps that because the BA are off doing real soldering and dont take competions with its points for changing a car tyre, swimming, bicycle races, giving first aid to a dummy etc that seriously. I notice non combat armies seem to go in for these events in a big way.

Hardly compares to the real thing does it Tim.

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.
                  Last edited by Vanguard; 8 March 2010, 18:39.

Comment

Done tough guy a couple of times , usually a good mix of different abilities , like any event of this kind its as hard as you make it ie bags of prep, no booze the night before blah blah Well worth it , you even get a huge medal at the end of it !
                    Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                      Perhaps that because the BA are off doing real soldering and dont take competions with its points for changing a car tyre, swimming, bicycle races, giving first aid to a dummy etc that seriously. I notice non combat armies seem to go in for these events in a big way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UIqRxzgtyo&feature=fvw
                      So they take time out of their busy real soldiering lives to participate but then dont bother trying to win

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UIqRxzgtyo&feature=fvw

Well now Vanguard, I am glad you mentioned that.

I have looked at the individual team results and it looks like the Norwegians

1) Managed to complete 23 of the stages while the Paras only managed 13.

2) The Paras did not manage the Nato Obstacle Course while the Norwegians got full marks =300/300.

3)The Paras also seem to have run out of time when it came to
                        Shoot with a 40mm Grenade Launcher
                        Shoot with a Panzerfaust reducing tube (7.5mm).
                        Shoot with a Machine Gun 05(5.6mm).
                        (All of the above a bit strange for a Mortar Pl).
                        The Ladies managed all of the above.

4) The Norwegians also did better in
                        Climbing & Rapelling.
                        Crossing (Mandatory Passage).
                        25m Pistol Shoot.
                        Crossbow shooting etc. etc.

To be honest with you Vanguard, I am amazed that the girls managed all of this bearing in mind the amount of time they must have spent putting on their camo. cream every morning.

Tim Horgan
                        Last edited by timhorgan; 9 March 2010, 11:46. Reason: typo

Comment

Well now Vanguard, I am glad you mentioned that.

I have looked at the individual team results and it looks like the Norwegians

1) Managed to complete 23 of the stages while the Paras only managed 13.

2) The Paras did not manage the Nato Obstacle Course while the Norwegians got full marks =300/300.

3)The Paras also seem to have run out of time when it came to
                          Shoot with a 40mm Grenade Launcher
                          Shoot with a Panzerfaust reducing tube (7.5mm).
                          Shoot with a Machine Gun 05(5.6mm).
                          (All of the above a bit strange for a Mortar Pl).
                          The Ladies managed all of the above.

4) The Norwegians also did better in
                          Climbing & Rapelling.
                          Crossing (Mandatory Passage).
                          25m Pistol Shoot.
                          Crossbow shooting etc. etc.

To be honest with you Vanguard, I am amazed that the girls managed all of this bearing in mind the amount of time they must have spent putting on their camo. cream every morning.

Tim Horgan

Thats because the Paras are off doing real soldering and dont put in prepartion for such events as others who dont see combat do. You can be sure some of the above units who never see action put months of training in for the above.

Sounds like the 2 Para unit simply went along for a weekend jolly.

I suspect the Norwegian ladies trained intensly for the above events.

So if you are trying to use the above to question the abilties of 2 Para and the BA in general, you fail again my friend.

Their record in combat is second to none and speaks for itself.
                          Last edited by Vanguard; 9 March 2010, 13:18.

Comment

Thats because the Paras are off doing real soldering and dont put in prepartion for such events as others who dont see combat do. You can be sure some of the above units who never see action put months of training in for the above.

Sounds like the 2 Para unit simply went along for a weekend jolly.

I suspect the Norwegian ladies trained intensly for the above events.

So if you are trying to use the above to question the abilties of 2 Para and the BA in general, you fail again my friend.

Their record in combat is second to none and speaks for itself.
                            Surely long distance marching and shooting has a bit to do with what is needed in combat? Maybe the Paras should take a break from Afghanistan and let the Norwegians fill in for them if they can't hack it

Comment

People : Keep to the thread title. Discussions about the BA have their own threads. I am considering binning a page of the above
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                People : Keep to the thread title. Discussions about the BA have their own threads. I am considering binning a page of the above

Trellheim,

I agree we should concentrate on the thread topic - but it would be a great pity to lose all the details of the Swiss event as this could be an interesting event for our Army.

I only put in the details of the Norwegian girls winning because the Estonians- who won the competition -had been highly impressed by the Norwegians. I have added the photo below as it just goes to show how frail,beautiful and delicate these Norwegian girls look.
                                Looks can be so deceptive.!! They must be hard as nails.

I am sorry that Vanguard feels that this discussion was about the BA. Nothing could be further from my mind-I just feel that the Army would benefit from participating.

Our boys must know that they will have to be on top of their game if they enter .

Last edited by timhorgan; 9 March 2010, 14:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X