Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Englishman joining the Irish Army?

Hi all.
    I live in England but ive always considered myself to be Irish as all my family is from there.
    Ive been thinking of moving to Ireland and joining the army for a while now.
    At the moment im 17 and ive seen that they arnet recruiting this year.
    So if I went to join next year would i have any problems?
    I think that me having a English accent wont exactly help things but ill be willing to prove myself.
    Or would the problems just be too much?

Thanks all

.Net, I've known two people who served with me with strong english accents, although this was in the reserve I'd imagine its the same in the regs, to my knowledge neither ever had any problems, you may get ripped for being an Afghanistan dodger but that'd be it and it'd be all in good fun, I think dubs in country units would get a worse time

Comment

Thanks CS.. ill expect a little bit of banter of course but im glad it wont be a serious problem.

And no ones recruited me. Completley my choice.
      Also I consider myself Irish so not really a "Englishman".. I just but it in the title to sum up the situation.

Comment

Don't let RGJ know you are here, whatever you do.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Oh hes already made a little comment at least i think it was him

Comment

Sorry to double post. I cant change my previous post as its waiting for approval and I dont think ill be on until late tomorrow im not sure.

I just have a few questions and I didn't want to make a new thread as I think it might be against the rules... making to many threads and all I dont know.

Would the place I sign up decide what battalion i get put in? If so is there a best battalion?

If I want to go on deployment would I be able to or is it just 100% luck? (It isnt a issue if i can't I would just rather)

How often would I be going on exercises and training? (ill look forward to these)

Sorry if these questions seem ridiculous to you but ive looked about on the internet and i can't find much. It might just be im looking in the wrong places.

Oh and I almost forgot I just want to be infantry nothing like engineers or cavalry.

Thanks alot everyone.

Comment

I know a few Lads from the UK who serve in the Irish Army.. One is now a senior NCO..

Comment

Are they from Northern Ireland or " the mainland " ?
                Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by .net View Post
                  T
                  Also I consider myself Irish so not really a "Englishman"..
                  Bandit etc

See above and take note
                  Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

But does he consider himself British, Its a dilemma by whats called second generation kids My kids have Irish passports but have lived all their lives abroad in afroica , are they African No but not entirely Irish either//
                    They did not have a choice ..
                    Mainland?? It says it all, I think the world was Shoneen they used to se.

Comment

.Net, I'm English and serve in the RDF. I have no issues at all and the banter is top notch. You'll be fine.

Comment

Does it matter if my family are from the north or south.... becasue i sure dont think so...
                        And I had that for a very short while bandit... it was a case of.. I consider Ireland to be my country and what in my blood but England is after all my home.

Thanks Craghopper and swiftandsure thats really reassuring :D
                        Like I said I dont mind a bit of banter... ill actually be dissapionted if I dont get any :D

Comment

Met one who was North of the Border I think. Did a stint in RM and then came here.

Also met another Englishman who joined here - Met on Ex last year
                          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                            Met one who was North of the Border I think. Did a stint in RM and then came here.

Also met another Englishman who joined here - Met on Ex last year
                            I met yer man recently from the RM as well. Top bloke!

Comment

I am originaly from Nottingham, came to Ireland in 1968,

both my twin brother and I entered service in the Irish Army in 1976

both of us served over 21 years including tours with U.N.I.F.I.L.

both of us are out on pension now for quite a while.

We had a great time, you meet some prats, but thats the same in every walk of life.

Slagging and Pis* taking is all part of the game.

So I am sure there is room for another Brit (or two).

Once you have a back-ground check made and have never been in trouble with the law

and providing you pass the medical, I see no reason why you would not be taken on board.

Comment

Working...
                              X