Englishman joining the Irish Army?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knocker View Post
    Are they from Northern Ireland or " the mainland " ?
    I meant Engerland ...two of them from London.

Comment

Mate

No one will giive 2 shites whether your a Brit- a knacker- a French bloke or even a native of Kazikhistan.

As Soldiers all that people care about is whether you try your best and help your mates

hell you dont even have to be good- all thats wanted is effort and no me fheiners

if your a ginger just shave the crust
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Exactly, I dont think anyone will mind where you're from. Best of luck!
        If at first you don't succeed, then call in an airstrike.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone for your words of reassurance.
          I cant wait to get over there and sign up. Now its just a waiting game for when they start recruiting again :(

And ive never been arrested and im in pretty decent shape but ive got a year to get in really really good shape... make a good 1st impression and all :D

Thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by .net View Post
            Would the place I sign up decide what battalion i get put in? If so is there a best battalion?
            When you apply to join apply to the Command (Eastern, Southern, Western or Curragh) area you want to be trained and based.
            You will have no choice in what Barracks you will be trained in.
            In Recruit Training you will be told what units want new Privates in the Brigade. You are then asked which one you want to go to after passing out but you could be sent anywhere even the Army School of Equitaion.
            All 9 Infantry Battalions are the same (apart from B coy 3Bn) but every unit thinks their the best.

If I want to go on deployment would I be able to or is it just 100% luck? (It isnt a issue if i can't I would just rather)
            If you want to stay in the Army after 5 years a overseas trip is one of the things you have to do.
            Im sure 99% get overseas in the first 5 years in the Army.

How often would I be going on exercises and training? (ill look forward to these)
            A minimum of one Exercises a year (Battalion Exercises) but theres aways more to be sent on.
            Last edited by Border Bunny; 16 February 2010, 21:37.

Comment

Thanks border bunny

So what does 3rd Battalion do? (tried google.. im not 100% sure about what im looking for, sorry to keep asking questions). Would trying harder in training and excelling mean you will be more likley to be sent to where you want?

Great, I'll deffinatly want to be there over 5 years. Im glad i'll get a chance to go overseas.

I always thought that exercises were something that happens alot in the army? what do they do in day to day life?

Sorry these questions must make you all want to bang your head on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
                A minimum of one Exercises a year (Battalion Exercises) but theres aways more to be sent on.
                a minimum of one per year? whats with that?

Comment

Hi all.
                  I live in England but ive always considered myself to be Irish as all my family is from there....
                  Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Don't let RGJ know you are here, whatever you do.
                  well holy jesus!!!! WTF!?!?!?!
                  RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Thanks border bunny

So what does 3rd Battalion do?.

Mate thats what we have been asking for years- if you find out will you let us know.

The biggest mistake anyone can make is not asking questions

ask away- theres not one Soldier in any Army that doesnt like talking about the job.

never be afraid to ask the question (except at 1225 or 1625).

If you joined up what would you like to do.
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

So what does 3rd Battalion do?
                      You obviously didn't Google in the right places....

I take it this answers your question ?
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I wasnt really sure what i was looking for again. I tried things like "Irish Army 3rd Battalion" but all i was seeing was 1st word war things and wikipedia :/
                        Thanks for the link though.. the only difference i can see is alot of deployment areas and some pretty nice looking APCs. Although half of my family being from the north id be very happy going into that battalion with its northern irish roots.

What do i want to do?... ooo tough one...
                        Well the main aim is ARW... i think you all seem to call it "the wing"?
                        I realise its hard to get in and a dream for alot of people but i see it as if i aim for that.. even if i dont go there ill still be trying my hardest all the time. Like motivation.

I dont really understand the question fully. Infantry is what i want to do, do i have much more things to choose after that?

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
                          a minimum of one per year? whats with that?
                          1 would be an absolute minimum, there would also be smaller exercises.

Due to things that were discussed on another thread (duties, dispersed units, courses, overseas, cutbacks etc) it is frequently impossible to put a full infantry battalion on the ground.

I wasnt really sure what i was looking for again. I tried things like "Irish Army 3rd Battalion" but all i was seeing was 1st word war things and wikipedia :/
                          Thanks for the link though.. the only difference i can see is alot of deployment areas and some pretty nice looking APCs. Although half of my family being from the north id be very happy going into that battalion with its northern irish roots.
                          .net - B Coy, 3 Inf Bn is the unit responsible for APC training in the DF.

The connection with the North of the country is purely historic.

Comment

Hi all.
                            I live in England but ive always considered myself to be Irish as all my family is from there.
                            Ive been thinking of moving to Ireland and joining the army for a while now.
                            At the moment im 17 and ive seen that they arnet recruiting this year.
                            So if I went to join next year would i have any problems?
                            I think that me having a English accent wont exactly help things but ill be willing to prove myself.
                            Or would the problems just be too much?

Thanks all
                            As the rest have said, you wont have an issue being an Englishman joining up the Irish Army. For instance, was on duty in a sister barracks on the border in 1994 and one of the privates on duty with me from the camp had a very pronounced English accent... Seemed like a sound bloke... he didnt seem have any issues working in the Irish Army on the border..

Good luck on your career choices bud...

Rgds
                            Exo
                            "There is nothing braver then the heart of a volunteer" Lt. Col. Dolittle, USAC, 1941.

Comment

Thanks Dev.
                              It seems all battalions are pretty much the same then? I wouldnt mind which one I got into.

Thanks Exo. I was worried that with the history it might have been a problem but its nice to know it wont be.

Comment

Working...
                              X