Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about the Point Five Weapon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about the Point Five Weapon

    A number of years ago when going through the Newry checkpoint Some Welsh reg
    was manning it. While Jones the Cpl was talking to me I noticed that they had a
    point five on it's tripod facing south set up unsecured on top of a concrete block about waste high and not much wider then the tripod,

    Could anyone who is in the know tell me if Jones the machine gunner started to fire the
    weapon in that set up would he hurt himself or is that set up perfectly ok, ?

  • #2
    while there is a lot of recoil from a .50 cal machine gun, it tends to stop short of launching itself backwards as the cycle of fire continues - unlike lets say that when firing a .50 cal rifle (i've fired both).

    he probably wouldn't have been able to provide sustained accurate fire but a quick accurate burst with 2 or 3 rounds on target would tend to suffice initially.

    was probably more a show of force than actually an intended fire position.

    we used to fit RLG's onto our rifles when we manned checkpoints on the Border whenever the VBIED threat went up in an effort to deter would be bombers from even considering driving into our checkpoints. it was probably a similar low level ploy.
    RGJ

    ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

    The Rifles

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      while there is a lot of recoil from a .50 cal machine gun, it tends to stop short of launching itself backwards as the cycle of fire continues - unlike lets say that when firing a .50 cal rifle (i've fired both)..
      My guess would be that the weight of the weapon keeps it pinned down fairly well,
      preventing it from "hopping" as it is fired ?
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by sofa View Post
        A number of years ago when going through the Newry checkpoint Some Welsh reg
        was manning it. While Jones the Cpl was talking to me I noticed that they had a
        point five on it's tripod facing south set up unsecured on top of a concrete block about waste high and not much wider then the tripod,

        Could anyone who is in the know tell me if Jones the machine gunner started to fire the
        weapon in that set up would he hurt himself or is that set up perfectly ok, ?
        If it had of been fired it would have moved.
        The Tripod Spades need to be in the ground.
        Sand bags will also help placed on and around the tripod legs.
        When firing the .5 the front leg aways jumps up so needs to be sand bagged.

        Comment


        • #5
          Always prefered it fitted to something Like an AML...doesn't tend to move at all, in fact its pinpoint accurate
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks lads. I did reckon it was for display , also decided not to say so to the Cpl
            peeping into the car. did not fancy standing in the shed for a couple of hours in the corner

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              Always prefered it fitted to something Like an AML...doesn't tend to move at all, in fact its pinpoint accurate
              A machine gun is not meant 'pinpoint accurate'.
              Its designed to put a cone of fire onto the enemy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                Always prefered it fitted to something Like an AML...doesn't tend to move at all, in fact its pinpoint accurate
                Or the deck of an OPV....


                Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sofa View Post
                  Thanks lads. I did reckon it was for display , also decided not to say so to the Cpl
                  peeping into the car. did not fancy standing in the shed for a couple of hours in the corner
                  I'm sure he would have been delighted with you showing an interest, and grateful for your input and suggestions
                  'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                  'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                  Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                  He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                  http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The obvious answer to the apparent pointlessness of this is in Sofa's original post....
                    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you o wise one

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sofa View Post
                        Thank you o wise one


                        Thank You for the accolade!!

                        The obvious answer was that they are Welsh, and known for their ballsy defences of outposts -

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Th...%27s_Drift.jpg

                        This was an attempt at humour, not an attack on your post!!
                        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
                          If it had of been fired it would have moved.
                          The Tripod Spades need to be in the ground.
                          Sand bags will also help placed on and around the tripod legs.
                          When firing the .5 the front leg aways jumps up so needs to be sand bagged.

                          With the tri-pod spades extended it jumps about an inch on 2-3 round bursts of fire, you dont need sandbags, its designed to be stable with the tri pod spades extended and corrects itself.
                          Last edited by Vanguard; 14 March 2010, 13:47.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sofa View Post
                            A number of years ago when going through the Newry checkpoint Some Welsh reg
                            was manning it. While Jones the Cpl was talking to me I noticed that they had a
                            point five on it's tripod facing south set up unsecured on top of a concrete block about waste high and not much wider then the tripod,

                            Could anyone who is in the know tell me if Jones the machine gunner started to fire the
                            weapon in that set up would he hurt himself or is that set up perfectly ok, ?

                            It was as a deterrant, in the early late 80s/early90s, up to 20 strong PIRA ASUs attacked remote border VCPs, with two 12.7mm calibre Soviet machine guns mounted on a lorry bed, flame throwers and GPMGs, all VCPs were issued with point fives.
                            Last edited by Vanguard; 14 March 2010, 16:21.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Is this Cloghogue checkpoint your talking about, south side of Newry? Romeo One Five I think

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X