Question about the Point Five Weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
    Is this Cloghogue checkpoint your talking about, south side of Newry? Romeo One Five I think
    I was refering to this attack by a South Armagh and East Tyrone ASU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_...ard_checkpoint

[edit] The attack
    The assault would involve the use of two 12.7mm DShK machine guns, 11 AK-47s, different kinds of grenades, and a flamethrower. To assure widespread destruction, the column decided to detonate a van bomb after the initial surprise assault. The chosen target, a vehicle checkpoint at Derryard, near Rosslea, was manned by soldiers of the 1st Battalion of the King's Own Scottish Borderers regiment.

After launching a number of grenades (either RPGs or horizontal mortar rounds), the IRA volunteers managed to break into the compound using a lorry, supported by automatic fire and the flamethrower’s stream of fire. In the process they killed two soldiers, Pte James Houston and L/Cpl Michael Patterson. Cpl Law was severely wounded and later airlifted for treatment. The IRA unit left a van loaded with 400-lb (182 kg) of Semtex, which failed to explode. The attack was finally repulsed by a Borderers section from the checkpoint that was patrolling nearby, with the support of a Wessex helicopter. The IRA column, at risk of being surrounded, then fled in the truck, possibly toward the border.[1][2]

The PIRA pulled the same stunt about two years later the two guys on the truck with the soviet 12.7 calibre were shot dead by an SAS/Det unit. East Tyrone PIRA lost 53 members to the SAS/Det in total.

.....Irish journalist and author of the A Secret History of the IRA, states that the brigade lost 53 members killed in the Troubles - the highest of any 'Brigade' area. Of these, 28 were killed between 1987 and 1992.[6].....
    Last edited by Vanguard; 14 March 2010, 16:39.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post

Thank You for the accolade!!

The obvious answer was that they are Welsh, and known for their ballsy defences of outposts -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Th...%27s_Drift.jpg

This was an attempt at humour, not an attack on your post!!

I take it back. good one

Comment

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
        Is this Cloghogue checkpoint your talking about, south side of Newry? Romeo One Five I think
        Yes

Comment

the .5 was to stop the planes coming from abbeyshrule

Comment

my mate in 2RIFLES reports no probs firing this beast over some Hesco Bastion:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3080094_n.jpg
            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
              I was refering to this attack by a South Armagh and East Tyrone ASU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_...ard_checkpoint

[edit] The attack
              The assault would involve the use of two 12.7mm DShK machine guns, 11 AK-47s, different kinds of grenades, and a flamethrower. To assure widespread destruction, the column decided to detonate a van bomb after the initial surprise assault. The chosen target, a vehicle checkpoint at Derryard, near Rosslea, was manned by soldiers of the 1st Battalion of the King's Own Scottish Borderers regiment.

After launching a number of grenades (either RPGs or horizontal mortar rounds), the IRA volunteers managed to break into the compound using a lorry, supported by automatic fire and the flamethrower’s stream of fire. In the process they killed two soldiers, Pte James Houston and L/Cpl Michael Patterson. Cpl Law was severely wounded and later airlifted for treatment. The IRA unit left a van loaded with 400-lb (182 kg) of Semtex, which failed to explode. The attack was finally repulsed by a Borderers section from the checkpoint that was patrolling nearby, with the support of a Wessex helicopter. The IRA column, at risk of being surrounded, then fled in the truck, possibly toward the border.[1][2].
              an interesting reminder of how bad things once were:

RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
              X