Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sofa
    replied
    Thanks lads. I did reckon it was for display , also decided not to say so to the Cpl
    peeping into the car. did not fancy standing in the shed for a couple of hours in the corner

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Always prefered it fitted to something Like an AML...doesn't tend to move at all, in fact its pinpoint accurate

Leave a comment:

• Border Bunny
    replied
    Originally posted by sofa View Post
    A number of years ago when going through the Newry checkpoint Some Welsh reg
    was manning it. While Jones the Cpl was talking to me I noticed that they had a
    point five on it's tripod facing south set up unsecured on top of a concrete block about waste high and not much wider then the tripod,

Could anyone who is in the know tell me if Jones the machine gunner started to fire the
    weapon in that set up would he hurt himself or is that set up perfectly ok, ?
    If it had of been fired it would have moved.
    The Tripod Spades need to be in the ground.
    Sand bags will also help placed on and around the tripod legs.
    When firing the .5 the front leg aways jumps up so needs to be sand bagged.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    while there is a lot of recoil from a .50 cal machine gun, it tends to stop short of launching itself backwards as the cycle of fire continues - unlike lets say that when firing a .50 cal rifle (i've fired both)..
    My guess would be that the weight of the weapon keeps it pinned down fairly well,
    preventing it from "hopping" as it is fired ?

Leave a comment:

• RoyalGreenJacket
    replied
    while there is a lot of recoil from a .50 cal machine gun, it tends to stop short of launching itself backwards as the cycle of fire continues - unlike lets say that when firing a .50 cal rifle (i've fired both).

he probably wouldn't have been able to provide sustained accurate fire but a quick accurate burst with 2 or 3 rounds on target would tend to suffice initially.

was probably more a show of force than actually an intended fire position.

we used to fit RLG's onto our rifles when we manned checkpoints on the Border whenever the VBIED threat went up in an effort to deter would be bombers from even considering driving into our checkpoints. it was probably a similar low level ploy.

Leave a comment:

• sofa
    started a topic Question about the Point Five Weapon

Question about the Point Five Weapon

A number of years ago when going through the Newry checkpoint Some Welsh reg
    was manning it. While Jones the Cpl was talking to me I noticed that they had a
    point five on it's tripod facing south set up unsecured on top of a concrete block about waste high and not much wider then the tripod,

Could anyone who is in the know tell me if Jones the machine gunner started to fire the
    weapon in that set up would he hurt himself or is that set up perfectly ok, ?
Working...
X