X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoyalGreenJacket
    replied
    Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
    I was refering to this attack by a South Armagh and East Tyrone ASU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_...ard_checkpoint

[edit] The attack
    The assault would involve the use of two 12.7mm DShK machine guns, 11 AK-47s, different kinds of grenades, and a flamethrower. To assure widespread destruction, the column decided to detonate a van bomb after the initial surprise assault. The chosen target, a vehicle checkpoint at Derryard, near Rosslea, was manned by soldiers of the 1st Battalion of the King's Own Scottish Borderers regiment.

After launching a number of grenades (either RPGs or horizontal mortar rounds), the IRA volunteers managed to break into the compound using a lorry, supported by automatic fire and the flamethrower’s stream of fire. In the process they killed two soldiers, Pte James Houston and L/Cpl Michael Patterson. Cpl Law was severely wounded and later airlifted for treatment. The IRA unit left a van loaded with 400-lb (182 kg) of Semtex, which failed to explode. The attack was finally repulsed by a Borderers section from the checkpoint that was patrolling nearby, with the support of a Wessex helicopter. The IRA column, at risk of being surrounded, then fled in the truck, possibly toward the border.[1][2].
    an interesting reminder of how bad things once were:

Leave a comment:

• RoyalGreenJacket
    replied
    my mate in 2RIFLES reports no probs firing this beast over some Hesco Bastion:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3080094_n.jpg

Leave a comment:

• BANDIT
    replied
    the .5 was to stop the planes coming from abbeyshrule

Leave a comment:

• sofa
    replied
    Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
    Is this Cloghogue checkpoint your talking about, south side of Newry? Romeo One Five I think
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• sofa
    replied
    Originally posted by spider View Post

Thank You for the accolade!!

The obvious answer was that they are Welsh, and known for their ballsy defences of outposts -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Th...%27s_Drift.jpg

This was an attempt at humour, not an attack on your post!!

I take it back. good one

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied
    Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
    Is this Cloghogue checkpoint your talking about, south side of Newry? Romeo One Five I think
    I was refering to this attack by a South Armagh and East Tyrone ASU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_...ard_checkpoint

[edit] The attack
    The assault would involve the use of two 12.7mm DShK machine guns, 11 AK-47s, different kinds of grenades, and a flamethrower. To assure widespread destruction, the column decided to detonate a van bomb after the initial surprise assault. The chosen target, a vehicle checkpoint at Derryard, near Rosslea, was manned by soldiers of the 1st Battalion of the King's Own Scottish Borderers regiment.

After launching a number of grenades (either RPGs or horizontal mortar rounds), the IRA volunteers managed to break into the compound using a lorry, supported by automatic fire and the flamethrower’s stream of fire. In the process they killed two soldiers, Pte James Houston and L/Cpl Michael Patterson. Cpl Law was severely wounded and later airlifted for treatment. The IRA unit left a van loaded with 400-lb (182 kg) of Semtex, which failed to explode. The attack was finally repulsed by a Borderers section from the checkpoint that was patrolling nearby, with the support of a Wessex helicopter. The IRA column, at risk of being surrounded, then fled in the truck, possibly toward the border.[1][2]

The PIRA pulled the same stunt about two years later the two guys on the truck with the soviet 12.7 calibre were shot dead by an SAS/Det unit. East Tyrone PIRA lost 53 members to the SAS/Det in total.

.....Irish journalist and author of the A Secret History of the IRA, states that the brigade lost 53 members killed in the Troubles - the highest of any 'Brigade' area. Of these, 28 were killed between 1987 and 1992.[6].....
    Last edited by Vanguard; 14 March 2010, 16:39.

Leave a comment:

• ArdMhacha
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied
    Originally posted by sofa View Post
    A number of years ago when going through the Newry checkpoint Some Welsh reg
    was manning it. While Jones the Cpl was talking to me I noticed that they had a
    point five on it's tripod facing south set up unsecured on top of a concrete block about waste high and not much wider then the tripod,

Could anyone who is in the know tell me if Jones the machine gunner started to fire the
    weapon in that set up would he hurt himself or is that set up perfectly ok, ?

It was as a deterrant, in the early late 80s/early90s, up to 20 strong PIRA ASUs attacked remote border VCPs, with two 12.7mm calibre Soviet machine guns mounted on a lorry bed, flame throwers and GPMGs, all VCPs were issued with point fives.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 14 March 2010, 16:21.

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied
    Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
    If it had of been fired it would have moved.
    The Tripod Spades need to be in the ground.
    Sand bags will also help placed on and around the tripod legs.
    When firing the .5 the front leg aways jumps up so needs to be sand bagged.

With the tri-pod spades extended it jumps about an inch on 2-3 round bursts of fire, you dont need sandbags, its designed to be stable with the tri pod spades extended and corrects itself.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 14 March 2010, 13:47.

Leave a comment:

• spider
    replied
    Thank you o wise one

Thank You for the accolade!!

The obvious answer was that they are Welsh, and known for their ballsy defences of outposts -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Th...%27s_Drift.jpg

This was an attempt at humour, not an attack on your post!!

Leave a comment:

• sofa
    replied
    Thank you o wise one

Leave a comment:

• spider
    replied
    The obvious answer to the apparent pointlessness of this is in Sofa's original post....

Leave a comment:

• Flamingo
    replied
    Thanks lads. I did reckon it was for display , also decided not to say so to the Cpl
    peeping into the car. did not fancy standing in the shed for a couple of hours in the corner
    I'm sure he would have been delighted with you showing an interest, and grateful for your input and suggestions

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Always prefered it fitted to something Like an AML...doesn't tend to move at all, in fact its pinpoint accurate
    Or the deck of an OPV....

Leave a comment:

• Border Bunny
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Always prefered it fitted to something Like an AML...doesn't tend to move at all, in fact its pinpoint accurate
    A machine gun is not meant 'pinpoint accurate'.
    Its designed to put a cone of fire onto the enemy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X