Definitive load carrying gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitive load carrying gear?

I was wondering if people have a definitive answer on the perfect form of load carrying gear for the RDF? I know the old PLCE is the official gear of the RDF (Although some units are still using pattern 58 i believe) What are peoples preferences? Webbing? Vest? Chest Rig?

I know cefo is the official gear and so has to be worn on guard duties shooting competitions and so on but with no duties availabe to RDF personnel and most officers free to allow troops on the ground to wear gucci gear so to speak, what are the benefits/ problems to each? Without getting on to other topics can a chest rig/vest carry the same as a set of plce? With the majority of troops in our unit using some form of private purchase gear be it Issue PLCE, Protac , or something else is there one form that a majority use ? Is the old issue simply the best??
    Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
    most officers free to allow troops on the ground to wear gucci gear so to speak,

You obviously haven't met most officers

Comment

If an officer has to tell a soldier what to wear in a platoon/coy/Bn than the BSM/CS/Pln Sgt and even section 2 i/c's aren't doing there jobs.Dress is their responsibility.Not officers.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

most officers free to allow troops on the ground to wear gucci gear so to speak
        Originally posted by Docman View Post

You obviously haven't met most officers
        It's actually true. But it depends where you are. In some units you can only use issue gear and nothing else. In others you can use whatever you want as long as it does the job and isn't something ridiculous like a black SWAT vest or something.

Without getting on to other topics can a chest rig/vest carry the same as a set of plce?
        A chest rig usually only has enough space to carry a few mags and some admin

A battlevest/assault vest (whatever you want to call it) can usually carry the same amount or more then the PLCE, it's just that all the gear is moved to the front.

Usually you have attachment points at the back for kidney pouches. Basically without the extra pouches at the back it carries about the same amount as PLCE, with the extra pouches it can carry more.

I prefer a vest because it's alot more organised and easier to get at stuff. With the PLCE you just have a bunch of big pouches to throw all your stuff in. On the vest you can organize smaller items into separate smaller pouches. And also on a vest you'd usually have a built in water bladder holder in the back. And with no pouches behind you can sit down comfortably in vehicles and so on.

Some people say wearing a vest makes it harder to crawl compared to the PLCE. I've crawled in both and don't really notice a difference.
        Last edited by spaceghetti; 17 March 2010, 11:57.

Comment

Working...
        X