Outside recognition of DF courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside recognition of DF courses

Was looking at the Civil Defence website and came across the programme for the college

http://www.civildefence.ie/cdweb.nsf/910dee65d16d24cc80256e8a003e75f2/a2acd450c8ec43bd802576550038442e/$FILE/Civil%20Defence%20College%20Training%20Courses%202 010.pdf

Food Safety Instructor Cse (ran by Food Safety Authority on CD premises) - 3 days and they get FETAC Level 5

Advanced Driver Instructor Cse (ran by an outside agency (TBA)) - 7 days and they get outside recognition

Cardiac First Response Instructor Cse (ran by CD) - 2 days and they get PHECC CFR Instructor qualification

BLS/CFR Instructor Re-Certification Cse (ran by CD) - 1 day and they get Irish Heart Foundation BLS / PHECC CFR Instructor qualifcation

Occupational First Aid Instructor Cse (ran by CD) - 6 days and the get OFA Instructor recognition

Emergency First Response Cse (ran by CD) and they get PHECC EFR qualification

Emergency Medical Technician Cse (ran by CD) - ran over 7 months & they get PHECC EMT qualification

Train the Trainer Cse (ran by CD) - 5 days and they get FETAC Level 6

If CD have to (in the case of the first aid courses) and want to in the case of others... why can't the DF and the RDF?!

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Was looking at the Civil Defence website and came across the programme for the college

http://www.civildefence.ie/cdweb.nsf/910dee65d16d24cc80256e8a003e75f2/a2acd450c8ec43bd802576550038442e/$FILE/Civil%20Defence%20College%20Training%20Courses%202 010.pdf

Food Safety Instructor Cse (ran by Food Safety Authority on CD premises) - 3 days and they get FETAC Level 5

Advanced Driver Instructor Cse (ran by an outside agency (TBA)) - 7 days and they get outside recognition

Cardiac First Response Instructor Cse (ran by CD) - 2 days and they get PHECC CFR Instructor qualification

BLS/CFR Instructor Re-Certification Cse (ran by CD) - 1 day and they get Irish Heart Foundation BLS / PHECC CFR Instructor qualifcation

Occupational First Aid Instructor Cse (ran by CD) - 6 days and the get OFA Instructor recognition

Emergency First Response Cse (ran by CD) and they get PHECC EFR qualification

Emergency Medical Technician Cse (ran by CD) - ran over 7 months & they get PHECC EMT qualification

Train the Trainer Cse (ran by CD) - 5 days and they get FETAC Level

If CD have to (in the case of the first aid courses) and want to in the case of others... why can't the DF and the RDF?!
    Jesus! I'm doing the TVMS DVR INS CSE at the mo and its a hell of a lot longer than the CD course I can tell you! And no outside recognition!!!

And don't get me started on the EMT thing! I'm a HSE/NASC trained PHECC registered medic and I can't get recognised by the Army!!!!
    Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Originally posted by Traumagod View Post
      Jesus! I'm doing the TVMS DVR INS CSE at the mo and its a hell of a lot longer than the CD course I can tell you!
      Enjoying the "death by Powerpoint, are you ???
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Of course your not going to get recognised by the Army.

What do you expect?
        I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
        Who is number 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
          Enjoying the "death by Powerpoint, are you ???
          Oh enjoyment is not the word mate........
          Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Have you seen what the "death by powerpoint course" does to someone?

Only last night there were "Real Macho Men" going around with handbags full of lovey lesson plans, pp presentations, etc.

Can't wait until all of the ROR book is on powerpont. The Module 1 couse will last for years.

That's real empire building.
            I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
            Who is number 1?

Comment

ah now come on lads.

I am sure all the weapons handling courses would be recognised.
              And NCO training would be seen as supervisory skills for the purpose of a CV.

the driving courses are nearly all recognised.
              well mod 2, 3a and 3b are.
              mod 3c probably is but they don't issue you with the cert of competency until you do artic mod 4.
              the mod 4 midi coach is a DF makey up course but the coach is recognised.
              The mod4 6x6 and skip truck, i mean drops, are also makey up courses.
              dublin corporation teach their guys the same stuff, including off road driving, in two days.

the DF management CPC is also recognised.

Are the first aid courses and health and safety not recognised??
              i know in our unit manual handling is a FETAC course.
              If the lads want the oficial cert all they do is pay anouy €10.

And yes I do have the ROR on powerpoint.
              It takes no longer than doing it from the book
              Last edited by luchi; 24 March 2010, 12:58.
              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

I remember a few years ago being in the glen and the light bulbs in one of the huts was blown, brought to the attention of the powers that be and we were told that we would have to wait till Monday for an electrican or the BFW to have a look.
                One of the lads was a fully qualified electrican, out he poped and he had a few bulds in his van, put them in and removed them two days later so that someone "qualified" could come along and do it again!!!
                "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Comment

You think thats bad.........

I know I posted this somewhere else but.

The driver of a vehicle is responsible for ensuring the lights work properly.
                  There is no problem changing a head light bulb. You just pop the cap, pull off the connector, release the spring and out pops the bulb. Reverse the process with new bulb and away you go.

However since a philips screwdriver is needed to release the light frame/cover on the rear lights and the side lights this must be done by a mechanic. Hence the vehicle must be put off the road and booked in to the workshop so that the mechanic/fitter can unscrew 2 screws, press in bulb and twist to release (Baynot style bulbs) and reverse process with new bulb. A vehicle can be off the road for over a week depending on how busy the workshop is
                  Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

That's why proper vehicle workshops divide the workload by a form of triage so as to quickly rectify easy snags and not take mechs off longer-term work.Muppets.
                    regards
                    GttC

Comment

Most of the courses run in the maritime college in ringaskiddy are recognised out in civvy street. sea survival, rib courses, huet etc

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                        You think thats bad.........

I know I posted this somewhere else but.

The driver of a vehicle is responsible for ensuring the lights work properly.
                        There is no problem changing a head light bulb. You just pop the cap, pull off the connector, release the spring and out pops the bulb. Reverse the process with new bulb and away you go.

However since a philips screwdriver is needed to release the light frame/cover on the rear lights and the side lights this must be done by a mechanic. Hence the vehicle must be put off the road and booked in to the workshop so that the mechanic/fitter can unscrew 2 screws, press in bulb and twist to release (Baynot style bulbs) and reverse process with new bulb. A vehicle can be off the road for over a week depending on how busy the workshop is
                        *Cough*Bullshit*Cough*
                        CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                          Most of the courses run in the maritime college in ringaskiddy are recognised out in civvy street. sea survival, rib courses, huet etc
                          well done the navy.. before a course is put in place get civie street advice so that the course will be recognised especially the exam standard at the end..

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                            Thats because the same institution (and possibly same instructors) teach civilians & NS.

Originally posted by Cosantor View Post
                            I remember a few years ago being in the glen and the light bulbs in one of the huts was blown, brought to the attention of the powers that be and we were told that we would have to wait till Monday for an electrican or the BFW to have a look.
                            One of the lads was a fully qualified electrican, out he poped and he had a few bulds in his van, put them in and removed them two days later so that someone "qualified" could come along and do it again!!!
                            Why does one have to be a electrican to change a light blub?

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                            Are the first aid courses and health and safety not recognised??
                            i know in our unit manual handling is a FETAC course.
                            If the lads want the oficial cert all they do is pay anouy €10.
                            He must be a FETAC instructor, question is - has the instructor passed the DF manual handling instructors course?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              Thats because the same institution (and possibly same instructors) teach civilians & NS.

Not technically the case. Naval Personnel instruct naval specific courses, and civilian instructors instruct on civilian courses. In some cases there is an overlap, such as Deck officers and Marine engineers, but for Naval Career courses, this is not the case.

That said, many of the civilian instructors are former NS members.

The recognition comes from the course content, and not where it is awarded.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X