Peakers...What's the consensus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peakers...What's the consensus?

The photos on the DF Flickr photostream are the first good look I've got of the peakers for o/ranks SD No1s.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfmagazine

What's the feeling about them............better than a beret or not? My first impression wouldn't be great but maybe that's being so used to the berets.

I think they're better than berets in the sense that they look better, since some lads haven't a breeze how to shape a beret.

They're ****s to wear though.

Comment

Uniformity is more or less assured though. In any case it's well past time there was a different headdress for normal duty and ceremonial. Every other arm has this, why not the Army?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

IMO I like the Peaker more than the Beret.
        Like Hello Alaska said no need to shape just putting a cap badge is all thats needed to be done.

Although the peakers been in use now from 2008 the beret is still worn more with No1s.
        I got my peaker in November 2008 and i've only worn it once.
        Any other time its been the beret worn.

Comment

As an RDF member i reckon they look better considering there are lots of different shades of RDF beret and it looks crap on GOH and other ceremonial details. At least peakers are all the same color

Comment

i prefer the peaker myself, although i'm biased.
            Last edited by SwiftandSure; 5 April 2010, 20:43.

Comment

i see the navy are also getting away from berets on ships issued base ball caps with a Irish flag small to the back of the cap and righting on the front of it

Comment

Originally posted by zone 1 View Post
                i see the navy are also getting away from berets on ships issued base ball caps with a Irish flag small to the back of the cap and righting on the front of it
                The Baseball cap has been used on Naval vessels for a very very long time. It first appeared as part of the working dress in the late 80s.
                Does the righting overcome the lefting?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  The Baseball cap has been used on Naval vessels for a very very long time. It first appeared as part of the working dress in the late 80s.
                  Does the righting overcome the lefting?
                  The army also had a baseball cap as part of the working dress in the 80's. They were only middleing, and so everyone just wore thr beret.

Comment

I think berets are sh1t, unless the army got a fella to go around and show each soldier how to shape and wear the beret with additional classes for senior officers they should use something else. If everyone took pride in their appearance they'd work but many dont so it doesnt.

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
                      I think berets are sh1t, unless the army got a fella to go around and show each soldier how to shape and wear the beret with additional classes for senior officers they should use something else. If everyone took pride in their appearance they'd work but many dont so it doesnt.

Well said, I cringe when I see some of the shapes that end up on some peoples

heads. then there are guys who look the dogs boll$%ks and have pride in there head

dress. If they are going to use peekers the type and colour used by the Army band

looks good. (not talking about the piilbox type)

Comment

It's true, senior officers are the worst offenders when it comes to bakers caps.

Comment

Attached Files
                          Last edited by ZULU; 6 April 2010, 10:25.
                          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
                            Thats what training nco's are for. You should be shown how to shape a beret as a recruit, or given remedial action upon inspection. Or just get one of the lads who knows how, to show you. It used to be called the buddy buddy system. ( Which was fine unless your buddy was a bird )

Comment

a certain xo on a ship told us in dublin to go ashore and buy caps as he wanted us to wear hats on boarding stations .. he always wore sunglasses as well...off we went and after many pints of beer we purchased the most colourful hats ever seen and cheap sunglasses... when on patrol we arrived on deck wearing this attire he nearly had a hernia..so this ended being told to buy our own...in bad weather a peaky hat is usless..

Comment

Working...
                              X