Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical capability of the defence forces

Are all army medics trained as paramedics

i don't think all of ours are - they are highly trained medics but not licenced 'paramedics'.

i think it's an 'extra' course they have to go on.

just like our Apache pilots don't actually have a licence to fly helicopters!

Rod and Serpent will be able to enlighten you about our lads as he is a Combat Medic and i know there are other well qualified medics on here representing the Irish DF who can put you straight.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      i don't think all of ours are - they are highly trained medics but not licenced 'paramedics'.

Rod and Serpent will be able to enlighten you about our lads as he is a Combat Medic and i know there are other well qualified medics on here representing the Irish DF who can put you straight.

He didn't ask about BA medics.
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

either did i.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Last time I checked, the Irish Defence Forces don't have many Apache pilots, so when you say "our" it's obvious you mean "The British Army". The thread title is "Medical capability of the defence forces", and you didn't answer the question asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
            The thread title is "Medical capability of the defence forces", and you didn't answer the question asked.
            ....gasp

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
              you didn't answer the question asked.
              didn't i???:

Originally posted by Knucklehead View Post
              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 10 April 2010, 20:12. Reason: to make sense!
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

I seem to recall this question coming up in the past, and from what I remember, the
                answer to your question is "no"
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

didn't i???:
                  The title of this thread specifically refers to the Defence Forces.

Comment

Oh for God's sake! Stop the pissing contest and answer the Question!!!

As far as I know,there are some Irish army Paramedics and EMT's. RDF medics are (again AFAIK) only trained within the Defence Forces to first Responder level.

There are, to borrow from the outside qualifications thread, many many civvie paramedics and EMT's serving who arent in the medical corps and/or not recognised.
                    Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

MOD: Thread question relates specifically to DF not any other army - any further attempts to bring this thread off topic will result in points!

To answer your question, some are trained to what is now Paramedic standard (formerly EMT) but not all.

See here for the PHECC training standards
                      Last edited by DeV; 10 April 2010, 21:43.

Comment

I'm sorry but I think this is getting a little bitchy on here. So what that RGJ answered and included information about the BA - I found it interesting and didn't care that it was outside of the DF.

Seeing how the actual question (never mind the topic) was "Are all army medics trained as paramedics", if someone had answered well in the Air Corps or Navy would there have been the "that's not what the question was" response. Please grow up.

MOD: There is no "bitchyness" here, if you have a complaint please address it to an admin.
                        Last edited by DeV; 10 April 2010, 22:29.
                        There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Most Medics complete 3 Star training in the Medical School - 10 wks for PDF / RDF evening and weekends for roughly 18 months

Then there is the Ambulance skills course which is 2 weeks long and is similiar in content to the 4 week EMT course

The army used to send roughly 10 or so medics annually onto do the Paramedic course with NATS but I dont think this is happening at the moment not sure how much it was costing.

The last 3 years the Medical School in conjunction with WEMSI has ran Wilderness EMT courses - 8 days long
                          I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
                            Most Medics complete 3 Star training in the Medical School - 10 wks for PDF / RDF evening and weekends for roughly 18 months
                            Not in the PDF.
                            All PDF do the same Infantary 2-3* training. After that they go to their Corps.

Comment

The thread title is at odds with the question asked which means all sides to this one are technically correct.However my suggestion to have a separate section for BA only questions seems to be holding more water with every passing day here.Just a thought.
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                              X