No announcement yet.

IPLCS For sale in the Brugha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i seriously think placing serial numbers on Load Carrying Equipment is going a step too far.

i know you want to stop proliferation into unsavory hands but it's just a bergen / webbing!
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      it's just a bergen / webbing!
      That cost a lot of money.
      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

i seriously think placing serial numbers on Load Carrying Equipment is going a step too far.

i know you want to stop proliferation into unsavory hands but it's just a bergen / webbing!
        It's more to do with stopping people from selling the kit on!

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
          That cost a lot of money.
          no they don't.

Originally posted by Barry View Post
          agreed - but whats is the problem in selling a bergen / webbing compared to uniform?
          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 14 April 2010, 23:07.
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Its allso so you whats yours.
            Removing serial numbers from helmets, daysacks, backpack, battlevest etc is not that hard to do but replacing it with a copy is almost impossible.

If someone sold/lost are whatever their battlevest or helmet and then stole mine to replace it all I have to do is go to my CQ and he will check the numbers on every ones kit to see who has it.

Its a great system and hopefully all new gear will be serial numbered or barcoded.

Comment

The stuff is actually quite expensive - it's all made by Lowe Alpine (not a subcontractor manufacturing the same design - Lowe Alpine makes it all), and I seriously doubt that getting it made would have been cheap. Equally, another production run of the same kit would incur massive setup costs, since I doubt they keep rolls of Irish DPM cordura handy. If they don't impose stock control measures like serial numbers people will just sell their shiny kit, say it was robbed (or similar), and get a new set. With serial numbers it can be tracked, making people less likely to sell their kit.

Comment

Pity we don't have some sort of PX system. It would mean that Reserves could get this kit from Grat money
                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                  Pity we don't have some sort of PX system. It would mean that Reserves could get this kit from Grat money
                  Pity the powers that be, did'nt think the reserve worthy enough for new kit is more the case....
                  But there's no danger
                  It's a professional career
                  Though it could be arranged
                  With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                  If you're out of luck you're out of work
                  We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                    Meaning a reservist would get issued nothing and have to buy everything!

Comment

The stuff is actually quite expensive - it's all made by Lowe Alpine (not a subcontractor manufacturing the same design - Lowe Alpine makes it all), and I seriously doubt that getting it made would have been cheap. Equally, another production run of the same kit would incur massive setup costs, since I doubt they keep rolls of Irish DPM cordura handy. If they don't impose stock control measures like serial numbers people will just sell their shiny kit, say it was robbed (or similar), and get a new set. With serial numbers it can be tracked, making people less likely to sell their kit.
                      my issued boots (2 pairs) are Lowa Mountain GTX which cost about £160 a pair - they aren't serial numbered.

a bergen won't cost more than perhaps €150 and a chest rig about €100 - that amount is pittance to any Army.

given that Lowa are contracted by the Irish DF then they should have large stock of Irish pattern cordura.

are your helmets serial numbered? and body armour too?

why control bergens and webbing to such an extent that you have lads in the Irish DF using British DPM or other nations kit instead of your own because they can't get their hands on it?

we can go to the stores and go diffy virtually any bit of kit we like - no questions asked unless you are in there every other week you will be stood in the QM's office for tea without biscuits.

if you are going to have buckshee kit - then let it be Irish patten DPM!

what's the big deal?
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

I believe the Issue Bergen is the Saracen which retails around 300 euro even with a reduction by bulk buying its still goin to be an expensive bit of kit particularly in a "rare" dpm like Irish pattern compared to British DPM that can be bought over the counter!! I think it comes down to penny pinching with the prospect of selling their new gear to the under equipped reserves it makes sense to serial number all issue! Most RDF units will have no shortage of troops that would jump at the chance to pick up an Irish Battlevest or Bergen or whatever!! My own included!!
                        Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Barry;296749]The stuff is actually quite expensive - it's all made by Lowe Alpine (not a subcontractor manufacturing the same design - Lowe Alpine makes it all), QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? I was told that they had sub contracted to the far east.

Comment

if you are going to have buckshee kit - then let it be Irish patten DPM!

what's the big deal?
                            The Government is afraid of the provos turning up to the Halloween party in Leinter House dressed as GI Paddy.

Comment

my issued boots (2 pairs) are Lowa Mountain GTX which cost about £160 a pair - they aren't serial numbered.

a bergen won't cost more than perhaps €150 and a chest rig about €100 - that amount is pittance to any Army.

we can go to the stores and go diffy virtually any bit of kit we like - no questions asked unless you are in there every other week you will be stood in the QM's office for tea without biscuits.
                              ?
                              If thats the case why not get 2 British Army Chest rigs

and offer them for auction here on this site

proceeds naturally to go to Boomer for the running of this recruiting sorry I mean

discussion site
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

RGJ, can you buy the SA80 cleaning kits through stores? If so, I may be PMing you to hook me up

Comment

Working...
                                X