Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZULU
    replied
    Barcodes are basic fundementals of Inventory management, aggregate planning, lean operations and supply chain mamagement.

They are also basic fundemental tools in quality control, quality management and forecasting.

If the DF wanted to save some serious money and improve in VFM then ISO 9000 et al would be a good start.

Leave a comment:

• Docman
    replied
    Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    trust me - as a SNCO i've done hundreds of equipment checks, stores checks and 'Board of Officers' inspections - having stuff serial numbered in no way aids quantity checks or ordering.
    The VFM Report disagrees with your assessment.

Leave a comment:

• Infy
    replied
    Incidently Lowe Alpine outlet in Tullamore had/has the chest rig, backpack and daysack in O.G. The chest rig even has loops on it in DPM pattern. Pricey though, when I was last there the big pack was €220, daysack €60 chest rig was €90 off the top of my head, don't quote me on them prices, I was last there in December.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    MOD: Keep to the thread!

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    Issue cleaning kits are still available to new recruits/cadets.RDF as usual get pool issue.
    The issue oil bottle is shite.Way too small for continuous use on the ground.
    Anyway this thread is going way off topic.

Leave a comment:

• Border Bunny
    replied
    Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    The SA80 cleaning kit is ideal for the Steyr, I particularly like the wire bristle brush (2nd from top) as it scrapes carbon off your gas parts in no time!
    Heres a few tips for you.
    Use the cooling rings on the barrel to scrape the carbon of the gas piston and plug.
    The metal ends of the pull through can be used to scrap the inside of the plug.
    Also keep a few green pads from the ration packs they come in handy for the plug. A free cleaning tool.

and bore brushes, ideal for breach and gas cylinder.
    For cleaning the inside of the gas cylinder just push some flannel in with the firing pin and for the inside of the housing group push flannel through with one of the guide rails.

Border Bunny, if you're happy to sit there with just a Pull Through, Flannel and Oil, suit yourself, but there are tools out there specifically designed for making what would otherwise be a laborious job, a lot quicker. Just because you're not issued it, doesn't mean it's wrong.
    Im not saying your wrong its your money waste it what ever way you want.
    The Steyr is easy to clean and can be done in a few minutes with just the issue pull through with flannel and oil. Its not like the MAG that takes ages with loads of tools or the .5 that takes 3 days.

One thing I will recommend to buy is a Bore Snake.
    After a day of shooting to 2 or 3 pull throughs with this and the barrel is spotless.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Every Steyr originally came with at least 1 cleaning kit, and the covers for the sights, and if I recall correctly, a zeroing key.

the original kits are around, just hard to find. I googled some time ago, there are places you can give money to and they'll send you a genuine Steyr kit; alternatively any gun store will sell you a .22 cleaning kit or a boresnake to speed matters up.

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    replied
    Never go any where with a rifle without a toothbrush. Can wrap cloth around top and use it clean the guide rods in the butt. Nothing like a good clean rod in a butt!

Leave a comment:

• REX
    replied
    Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Errr - yes - I know........

Can't remember the last time I saw a COMPLETE one...
    I'll send you a photo, it's probably as close as you'll ever get

Leave a comment:

• SwiftandSure
    replied
    Cleaning kits in my unit tend to come in an ammo box full of odds'n'sods and old flanelette that's probably been pulled through .303s and FNs.
    Issued personal cleaning kits are just unheard of.

The SA80 cleaning kit is ideal for the Steyr, I particularly like the wire bristle brush (2nd from top) as it scrapes carbon off your gas parts in no time!

and bore brushes, ideal for breach and gas cylinder.

Border Bunny, if you're happy to sit there with just a Pull Through, Flannel and Oil, suit yourself, but there are tools out there specifically designed for making what would otherwise be a laborious job, a lot quicker. Just because you're not issued it, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Border Bunny
    replied
    Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Errr - for cleaning.... otherwise they would not need to be part of the kit to begin with !
    You dont need the brushs.
    I never use them even after firing them shity Gallery rounds on stage 4 & 5.

What is this mythical item of which you speak ?
    Do the RDF not get them?
    And before you ask it is a genuine Steyr kit and not some cheap crap the Army buy as it has the Steyr logo on the oil bottle.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    You know.. the cleaning kit that's mentioned in the manual?
    Errr - yes - I know........

Can't remember the last time I saw a COMPLETE one...

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    You know.. the cleaning kit that's mentioned in the manual?

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
    All thats needed for cleaning the Steyr is a Pull Through, Flannel and Oil.
    Why do you need brushes?
    Errr - for cleaning.... otherwise they would not need to be part of the kit to begin with !

Theres 2 brushes with the Steyr Cleaning Kit but you dont even need them.
    What is this mythical item of which you speak ?
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 16 April 2010, 21:22.

Leave a comment:

• Border Bunny
    replied
    Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    Cheers lads!

I've still got my SA80 cleaning kit from my old barmy-army days, but you know yourself, the brushes get ****ed up the more you use them etc etc. Besides, I'd like to have a small pool of decent cleaning kits to dish out among the lads in my unit who'd really benefit from having their own cleaning kits, particularly as my wire brushes seem to always do the rounds after firing; so RGJ, if you come across any buckshee, I'll make sure there's a beer or four in it for you!
    All thats needed for cleaning the Steyr is a Pull Through, Flannel and Oil.
    Why do you need brushes?
    Theres 2 brushes with the Steyr Cleaning Kit but you dont even need them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X