Daily Mail Article with Picture of Irish DF Sniper Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Mail Article with Picture of Irish DF Sniper Team

Ok, I admit it. I know I shouldn't as with most tabloids the Daily Mail is truly appalling. It's a guilty pleasure and to be fair it's the 'best' on line tabloid that is free to view.

Anyway, here's an article about a Taliban sniper giving the Brits a hard time in Afghanistan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...ockbuster.html

The curious thing is the accompanying pic is of a DF sniper team? BTW it's a good pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DF Sniper Team Picture in Daily Mail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	699473
    Last edited by Jessup; 13 April 2010, 10:46.

It is a good pic. Thanks for sharing
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Nice photo..Of al the photos of British Army Snipers, they pick one of the Irish DF? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
        Nice photo..Of al the photos of British Army Snipers, they pick one of the Irish DF? lol
        Just goes to show how good they are

Comment

That's from Chad
          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

I know him. He's a in my Company.
            That pic most have been taking in Chad when he was out there with the 99th.

Comment

I know those 2. Wasn't standing too far away from them when that pic was taken

Comment

And why didn't they just use a pic of Brit snipers in Afghanistan? Strange.

Comment

Some lazy tabloid hack probably did a Google image search for "snipers" and picked that one because it looks cool.
                  If at first you don't succeed, then call in an airstrike.

Comment

Well it was credited to 99 Infantry Battalion, Irish Defence Forces, so whoever chose the image (not necessarily the author of the piece) was aware that it wasn't a picture of a British sniper.

Comment

No more shite-talk about the North.
                      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Great pic & great for Irish sniper team to get recognition but i think the story deserves some mention.
                        That sort of situation has got to be extremely unsettling & bad for moral that they.. A; Know they're being stalked at all times & B; that one of their own snipers trained in counter-sniper techniques could be killed. Sangin seems to have remained a problem for the british since the start of the conflict with a large number of casulties coming from the region.
                        Life's short, party naked :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mad P View Post
                          Great pic & great for Irish sniper team to get recognition but i think the story deserves some mention.
                          Personnally, I would be very upset to have my mug exposed publicly like that, and associated to my sniper qualification.

At the end of the course, we had the group photo taken with our ghillie suits on, so our faces weren't visible. We keep our sniper's ID very discreet, out of necessity, because our sniper community is very small. We did that even before Afg.
                          "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Maybe that's why they used the DF photo and not the BA photo. It's common on TV documentaries from Afghanistan to see the sniper's face blocked out.

Comment

Problem with this picture / publicity is that some bunch of rag heads plotting a revenge attack will now concider Irish Defence Forces personell or citeziens as targets even though we have no involvement or personell in Afganistain .
                              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Working...
                              X