X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irishrgr
    replied
    Lads,

I've used these type of simulators, and all are correct, they are no substitute for the real training in the field. Where these things make money is on the decision making process. Granted< Ireland will never be conducting a "Division in attack" but these things are about making staff's think and plan and react to Murphy's Law. A commander directs a company to move, the computer will move the icon, but if the commander didn't plan properly, then the vehicles run out of fuel and just sit there. Now they have to sort that out. I've done some 48 hour exercises on these things and they are exhausting, it kills your brain. The ones we use have real radio headsets, the TOC is set up the same, etc.

Where these things really help is doing the run up to an exercise. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to make mistakes redirecting a virtual Bn as opposed to a real one. Granted it can get out of hand, it is just a game, but it's like doing react to contact drills in the car park, it helps sort you for when you go to the field.

A

Leave a comment:

• terrier
    replied
    Kiplings arithmetic then:-
    "A scrimmage in a Border Station –

A canter down some dark defile –

Two thousand pounds of education

Drops to a ten-rupee jezail."

Kipling was talking about Afghanistan.

If you were to substitute " v. expensive simulator " for " education " and "AK" for " jezail "
    things haven't changed much !

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    replied
    This is cool!

Motion Reality Force Simulation VIRTSIM System from Lindsey McLaughlin on Vimeo.

Leave a comment:

• futurepilot
    replied
    Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    Is VBS2 a spin off of ARMA II? Or the other way around? It's got to be the same game engine either way.
    I've seen the Irish PDF addon for ARMA II, and it looks good.
    they are made by the same crowd, VBS2 is designed purely for the military. Arma 2 is a game

Leave a comment:

• ODIN
    replied

Full Spectrum Warrior game play. Basically you control a squad of 8, with 2 fire teams. Its all about getting into cover, observation etc. Was based on piece of training software if I remember correctly.

Leave a comment:

• SwiftandSure
    replied
    Is VBS2 a spin off of ARMA II? Or the other way around? It's got to be the same game engine either way.
    I've seen the Irish PDF addon for ARMA II, and it looks good.

Leave a comment:

• ODIN
    replied
    That reminds me of a game called Full Spectrum Warrior, I remember it was kinda fun.

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CS Gass
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank Aiken View Post
    "The Irish are represented by red symbols, while the enemy is blue."

I was always taught that enemy were in red and we were blue, like blue on blue?

Does this 5m piece of kit not conform to standard military practices???
    Hasn't anyone told you we're the bad guys

Leave a comment:

• FoxtrotRK
    replied
    Sometimes these simulators provide unexpected scenarios.

Skippy, the Killer Kangaroo

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    replied
    Future Immersive Training Environment (FITE)

U.S. Marines from 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment walk through a scenario during a Future Immersive Training Environment (FITE) joint capability technology demonstration at Camp Lejeune, N.C., March 3, 2010. FITE is part of a broad U.S. Joint Forces Command campaign to enhance ground-based simulation through realistic, immersive training.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "The Irish are represented by red symbols, while the enemy is blue."

I was always taught that enemy were in red and we were blue, like blue on blue?

Does this 5m piece of kit not conform to standard military practices???

Leave a comment:

• Bailer
    replied
    5 Million on a TEWT simulator so the officers don't have to use their Calculators. Sounds good does it to down to Section and Plt. Tactics??

or maybe thats the 3m SIM

Leave a comment:

• 3 Star Pte FCA
    replied
    5 mill on basicley a computer game!, It might help with large scale battles, but can you do that with the Mills laser sys. (Basicley Paitball)

Leave a comment:

• California Tanker
    replied
    Steel Beasts (Available in the Budget Section of your local EB these days, I think for about $30) is being used by tankers of quite a few militaries. There are also a few 'special' versions, for example, but most of those features will be available in SB 2 anyway...) Perhaps the Cavalry Corps could look at it? :-)

NTM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X