car insurance for DF Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car insurance for DF Members

Does anyone know of an insurer that discounts for members of the Defence Forces ?

There was a scheme years ago but it didn't last last long.

I presume you're asking in relation to your son. The only short cut is for you to insure the car and for him to go as a named driver but that's dodgy if it's discovered 'in the subsequent court of inquiry' that it was him driving the car all the time. Better to take the hit early IMO.

I think things have improved in general in the industry so I don't think he's going to have to pay more for insurance than the cost of the car! It might be close though!

AFAIK DF members are 'loaded' by many underwriters due to the perceived increased risk of a claim; Driving to and from work in all weather and all hours, and other more controversial risk assessments like a propensity for aggression (in driving), drink culture, tiredness after duty/exercise etc. etc.

It's not a persecution as other occupations are 'loaded' for other reasons. Jockeys are in the same category as DF members for the same reasons so it's not just the Curragh that they have in common. Vets are one of 'highest risk' categories AFAIK.

Comment

I seem to remember the DF Credit union had some sort of discount scheme with insurers.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I dont think ANSAC do car insurance just home insurance and a home heating oil and petrol card scheme aswell as the normal savings and loans.

Comment

RDFRA I think made contact with either AXA or Allianz with discounts for DF personnel.

Leaning more on the AXA side.
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

On a slightly related topic, regarding your first two penalty points and your insurance, should ?you inform your insurance company that you've been issued them or is it done automatically? Also, is there an automatic increase in your premium or does this happen with more than 2 points?
            "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Ta all. Had a decent quote from AXA since I posted and they knew he was DF, so they at least haven't loaded it!

Comment

Hi folks
                as regards to car insurance quotes my mate recently got the cheapest quote from insure.ie was alot cheaper than expected and cheaper than all of the main companies hes a first time driver and only 23. hope that helps!

Comment

AFAIK AXA do offer discount to the DF, guy I know works with them and organises it. As regards penalty points, I had 2, rang the insurance company and it was no hassle, no premium adjustments. In the event of a claim and you having undeclared points I think your screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Infy View Post
                    AFAIK AXA do offer discount to the DF, guy I know works with them and organises it. As regards penalty points, I had 2, rang the insurance company and it was no hassle, no premium adjustments. In the event of a claim and you having undeclared points I think your screwed.
                    Is this via PDFORRA or just there own thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Infy View Post
                      As regards penalty points, I had 2, rang the insurance company and it was no hassle, no premium adjustments. In the event of a claim and you having undeclared points I think your screwed.
                      Most of them don't mind 2, but I spoke toa guy fromt eh IIF and he said if you had 6 there would be an issue.
                      Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Comment

The best PDFORRA can get its members.

Car Insurance Deduction at Source Scheme:

PDFORRA members have a deduction at source facility for member who wish to pay for their car insurance over a period rather than paying one premium. This facility is available through Goggin Insurance, Dorset Street, Dublin and all PDFORRA members are guaranteed a quote. Tel: 1890 234 234.

Comment

Originally posted by Oriel View Post
                            The best PDFORRA can get its members.
                            If you ring goggins they used to give a discount for members of PDFORRA and another discount if you held an Army Driving Permit (A.F. 154), I presume this still stands, but I still got a better quote by going through Bestquote.ie
                            CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Working...
                            X