No announcement yet.

Drivers Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does surprise me is that LSB drivers are not getting the advanced training.
    Although there are drops, coaches and artics sitting around it is nearly impossible to get to train on them.
    Personally I have had the drops course canned twice and a artic course canned.

Some of the 2 LSB lads are surprised about it too.
    IF we were trained we could be of more use to 2LSB.
    I reckon it is the same elsewhere.
    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      'Military Driving Permits' (FMT600)
      FMT600, that's the one I was trying to think of! I still have that somewhere.

Originally posted by luchi View Post
      OK S&S, since you have some form of driving licence you should be on the Mod 2A Driving course.

This consists of
      Death by lecture Part 1: DSO
      Practical driving 1: On road driving assessment.
      Death by lecture Part 2: Health and safety
      Practical driving 2: Trailer training
      Death by lecture part 3: Loading and unloading
      Practical driving 3: Military routes and garages that supply breakfast rolls.
      Death by lecture 4: Traffic accident proceedure
      Practical driving 4: MIlitary routes and shops with Deli counters.
      Death by lecture 5: PLaces that serve the best coffee.
      Death by lecture 6: Off road safety breif
      Practical driving 6: Off road driving
      Test 1: Written to see if you were awake during the lectures
      Test 2: Practical driving.
      Thanks Luchi, sounds like a great course! I'll make sure I'm wearing my elasticated waistband combat trousers for it

Comment

Lads i just have a provisional can i do a driving course. Ive heard that you need to have a full licence. We send people on driving courses then they leave. And is it possible to do the nissan course on a two week camp.

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
          What does surprise me is that LSB drivers are not getting the advanced training.
          Although there are drops, coaches and artics sitting around it is nearly impossible to get to train on them.
          Personally I have had the drops course canned twice and a artic course canned.

Some of the 2 LSB lads are surprised about it too.
          IF we were trained we could be of more use to 2LSB.
          I reckon it is the same elsewhere.
          The Cork unit seems pretty busy most weekends. Every time I'm around that part, they seem to have a couple of TCVs / Mercs / Nissans on the go with driver training.
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

My Driving test for the Bike was a lot more intense than Zulu's car test. Done in the Brugha. Test was in 3 parts.
            Written first (we had spent the drive up testing each other on DSOs and Rules of the Road anyway).
            Next up was manouvering, on one of the Brughas squares, around cones and accross a plank. It was a Pass/fail test. If you missed the plank you failed. If you tipped a cone you failed.
            Finally the drive. 3 being tested, Starting at the Brugha, out to Blessington, Accross to Naas, and back into Brugha via the old Naas road, through Saggart. I think it worked out as 50km each.

Luckily we had our test in Brugha the day Jungle Jim was being stood down, so there was very few witnesses.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I did it last year with Luchi,s mob and he summed it up very well , the standard of instruction was very good and I really enjoyed the off road bit in the Curragh !! Would like to do the trailer and transit soon , thanks again to the folks in 62 LSB
              Bohs till I die

Comment

I remember doing the off-road. Good fun. Pictures in gallery.

First time driving a Merc, and it happened to be on the off-road course. All good!
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

I find Zulu's comments re the Tester hard to believe.

For years the tests have been carried out by or under the supervision of the PDF (TVMS) and I have never come across something like that.
                  I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                  Who is number 1?

Comment

PDF alright. I reckon if I was making a complete arse of it the book would have come back out again and the examiner a bit more alert. As it happened, it was mainly a formality with the amount of driving experience I had previously.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      is this an RDF driving course?

surely all PDF are trained to drive?
                      The DF would like to see it happen but due to the danger of the State Claims Agency getting lots of calls it won't happen... also it costs money.

Originally posted by koppiteal View Post
                      Lads i just have a provisional can i do a driving course. Ive heard that you need to have a full licence. And is it possible to do the nissan course on a two week camp.
                      Depends on the course, the course I did was a conversion course so you had to have a full driving licence and was 2 field days & 5 day camp.

Course will include:
                      Drivers Standing Orders including all the paperwork (you'll be amazed what 1 journey will generate)
                      Accident Procedure
                      Written exam in TVMS on Drivers Standing Orders, Rules of the Road, all paperwork & accident procedure
                      Driving practice
                      Can't remember the exact phrase but before driving checks
                      Fault Finding
                      Off road
                      Practical exam

Comment

Originally posted by bohs fan View Post
                        I did it last year with Luchi,s mob and he summed it up very well
                        Of course I did. I was quoting from the instructors version of the sylibus!!!!!

Would like to do the trailer and transit soon
                        No reason for not doing the trailer. A number of those on that course did it this year.
                        As for the minibus, you will have to grovel a bit.

With a learners permit the only way to get on the MT course is to transfer of come in on attachment.

You will have to do "crusifixion by lecture", sorry thats module 1
                        Then module 2 which is very like module 2A but has more basic classes in the practical driving,
                        Such as:
                        Starting and stopping.
                        How the instructor likes a breakfast roll
                        The right way to present the sargent with his coffee

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

The minibus course (Mod3A) is very simple. It goes something like this:

This service vehicle has only two military characteristics. Look this way I will give a complete demonstration:

1 See the little plastic rectangle on the corner of the windscreen
                          2 See the colour of the paint

Everything else is as per normal driving.

End of lesson
                          I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                          Who is number 1?

Comment

And that takes a full week!!!!!!!!

So thats why you teach 3A

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Can you get attachment just for camp.

Comment

That depends on who you know and for what you want to do??????

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Working...
                                X