Experiences while in uniform...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiences while in uniform...

This relates to being in the public eye while in uniform, ie, travelling to and from barracks etc... i think it relates to all members of the DF seeing as we all have to get there but I'm interested in hearing from members of other armed forces too...

I've had positive experiences, got a free bus trip once which was nice and very unexpected. Had members of the public come up to me and chat about the RDF and had people come up to me and thank me for my service (in NY mostly but had a few people while waiting for the bus at Eden Quay too )

What about you guys? I'm mostly thinking about this while reading the "uniform to work" thread and seeing how it would be received here, I think mostly positively...
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

i've always had a really good response from the public, usually get chatting and they tell me their brother or somebody is in the Army and do i know him (of course i don't!).

a lot of our civvies are wearing H4H wristbands or Regimental wristbands so you can tell straight away they are 'pro-Army', even if they don't necessarily agree with where we are currently engaged on operations.

i've been on courses recently - civvie courses and we have turned up in uniform and been made very welcome - our Army actively encourages us to be in uniform whenever we can where appropriate.

some of my mates have had brews bought for them etc.

i've been given discount at a few stores whilst in uniform and even Kwik-Fit gave me a 'squaddie discount' when i turned up to collect my car in uniform.

it's pretty good over here mate and i think it would be good if Ireland did more of the same to raise your profile.

i even get massive military discounts when i buy Vauxhall:

www - Vauxhall Military Discounts
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 20 May 2010, 00:15.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      i've been given discount at a few stores whilst in uniform and even Kwik-Fit gave me a 'squaddie discount' when i turned up to collect my car in uniform.
      would there be many things like this going?

i know of one in Dublin that does a discount on boots but no others! Its a good initiative and could only result in boosted sales IMO

Comment

i'm just answering your question here Buck and not going off thread - before Tim Horgan jumps down my neck - if the Mods see fit to move this then please do but i'm only answering a question.

yes Buck - there are literally hundreds of places who 'officially' give us discount for being in the Army (or Navy or Air Force) and even more who 'unofficially' give us discount too.

all soldiers get a free copy of the Forces Discount Guide annually - a 150 page booket listing those outlets who offer discounts to the Forces.

you can see some here:

www - forces discounts (MOD site)

and here:

www - forces discount (unofficial site)

even in our local McDonalds there is a poster in the window offering a FREE McFlurry with every meal especially for Soldiers.

infact everytime i buy a new Vauxhall i get massive military discounts:

www - Vauxhall Military Discounts

maybe Opel do the same for you guys?

and i agree Buck - if more retailers saw you guys in uniform then they would could offer you better discounts and attract more business - everyone is a winner!
        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 20 May 2010, 00:19.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Uniform

In the US we generally get a great response from the public, especially since 9/11. Even before that you generally got a "thank you for your service" especially from older folks, then 9/11 and it went up from there no end.

All sorts of thank yous, free meals, coffee, discounts, it is noce to be apprciated. me and a few mates were at a resturant on a lunch break during a course at a local resturant, waiter shows up and says not to worry about the bill, another customer (who had already left) paid our bill. All in all very nice. Granted, there are times when you are cornered by the "I was in back in '72....never deployed but....." which can get old but overall it's good.

The Army really encourages us to wear the uniform in public, although it's now all the ACU's which I don't think is very professional. I've been on flights and seen LTC's in ACU's, come on, show some class. Our Marine Corps brethern have it right, all travel must be in one of the versions of the dress uniform.

As an officer I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable with the local discounts (coffee, lunch, etc), we are well paid as it is, so I generally just give the balance as a tip. I think all forces should encourage it where appropriate, your Soldiers are your best ambassadors.

The US Army doesn't have an official position on discounts as such, but many busniesses openly advertise it, like said above, they want the punters. All in all my experiences have been positive and I live in a very liberal city and have never had anyone say anything negative to me. Kids are the best, they always want a salute or something or just to say hi.

A

Comment

The best i've gotten is a 10% discount in the local outdoors shops.

Comment

On the rare occasions I had to wear Naval uniform ashore, in the early 1980's, the reaction was a mixture of curiosity and disbelief that we actually had a Naval Service. When sent with a few crew members of Aoife to some function in Galway we got asked if we were on our way to fight in the Falklands! Hopefully the public profile of the service has been raised since then.

The most positive reaction I ever got was from Irish people on the military pilgrimage to Lourdes. Though we did meet a US marine who, looking at a table of FCA men demolishing pints of lager said "Some of your green berets look pretty old, but they sure can drink".

Comment

My best experience in uniform was on a foreign trip. When an American sailor noticed the harp on my white front he commented that it was awesome that we wear the "Guinness symbol".

Comment

in a hotel on O'Connell St Dublin once, the Company was there for a function, it was in the 'An Slua Muiri' days, mid eighties. There was a party of folks (civies) from Donegal and they taught we were from the submarine branch of the navy....ah bless them

Comment

Originally posted by irishrgr View Post
                    In the US we generally get a great response from the public...
                    in all fairness i think the US forces get the best appreciation of any force from their public.
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Jaysus when the JFK was over here the USN got some appreciation all right. Pity there's only CVNs left.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        Jaysus when the JFK was over here the USN got some appreciation all right. Pity there's only CVNs left.
                        They don't seem to be as welcome amongst the general public since they took to having armed security parties visible on deck.
                        Traditionally on a naval courtesy visit, the crew manned the rails to demonstrate that the guns were not manned. The current, and opposite practice does not sit well with the host residents.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          They don't seem to be as welcome amongst the general public since they took to having armed security parties visible on deck.
                          it's a military fighting force and given the amount of spacemen out there willing to launch attacks at any opportunity what do people expect?
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Ill agree with the US being the best for it. So many people came up to me and shook my hand and were saying thanks for your service etc. was really cool! kinda strange though, didnt really know what to say. we all got free subway travel in uniform though, we went to pay and the guy looked at us as if we were mental then on the platform, the guy who checks if everyone is in started shouting "well done, congrats guys, thanks so much!" was humbling too i guess! Another time i was on my way home on st patricks day in uniform with a reserve SGT and at my bus stop at port authority, there was a massive queue. the SGT was like "nah man, forget this" and we just skipped the whole line and went right up to the driver and he said "im putting this guy on first, he's my guest from the irish army, make sure he gets back to jersey ok!" driver gave me half fare and the people i just skipped started saying thanks for your service!! weird for me cause we dont get it at all here but kinda cool too!

Comment

Nearly got raped by a hen party coming down town one evening!
                              "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Working...
                              X