Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF Recruit Training

Well lads

I am currently serving in the RDF and am hoping to join the the PDF (Provided they open recruitment before I am over the age limit) and I was wondering the layout of PDF training is it similar to RDF Training I know obviously the Intensity level is going to be on a completely level PT every morning and so on!!! Is it run in the same way IE Module 1 Marching ect then Onto the Steyr and Preparation for Toets and Firing , followed by a Tactical Training Period before promotion to 2 Star. Im guessing this broken up by First Aid lessons and so on!

Could people provide their experiences in particular those who gone through training in the last few years!!!

Thanks Lads

CW
    Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
    Well lads I am currently serving in the RDF and am hoping to join the the PDF (Provided they open recruitment before I am over the age limit)
    if for some reason it doesn't work out for you pal - let me know

all the best anyhow.

MOD: Off topic - 2 points for ignoring mod warning
    Last edited by DeV; 20 May 2010, 18:53.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Every day will be different. You will learn everything a RDF recruit does plus a lot more.

I'd imagine the first week or so involves a lot of foot drill and other basics, but as far as I know it isn't offically modularised like RDF recruit training.

Comment

Well lads

I am currently serving in the RDF and am hoping to join the the PDF (Provided they open recruitment before I am over the age limit) and I was wondering the layout of PDF training is it similar to RDF Training I know obviously the Intensity level is going to be on a completely level PT every morning and so on!!! Is it run in the same way IE Module 1 Marching ect then Onto the Steyr and Preparation for Toets and Firing , followed by a Tactical Training Period before promotion to 2 Star. Im guessing this broken up by First Aid lessons and so on!

Could people provide their experiences in particular those who gone through training in the last few years!!!

Thanks Lads

CW
        It's nothing like RDF training.

You'll be constantly busy, every single day of the week. It can be a **** a times when the beastings are going full throttle etc. but when you look back on the 6 months you'll realise it was one of the best experiences of your life. That feeling when you earn your black beret, the feeling when you're passing out as a 3 Star with your whole family watching, the sense of achievement when it's all done and dusted...

It's ****ing awesome.

Comment

I was referring to the subject matter

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            I was referring to the subject matter
            Oh I know, obviously some of the same stuff is covered.

I was more referring to the tempo of the training, what's expected of you etc.

Apologies if it came across like I was disagreeing with what you were saying.

Comment

Salient advice.
              Be fit BEFORE showing up for day one.Makes life ALOT easier.
              Know how to use a steam iron.Then buy a good and bring it with you.
              Get your Ma to show you how to stitch in a buttton,mend a rip etc.She wont be there with you.
              Learn how to read washing care labels and how to operate a washing machine using the different cycles for different items of uniform.Again no Ma to do it for you.
              Buy shower shoes.Vital.
              Learn how to keep your mouth shut even when you dont want too.
              Learn how to help your mates at all times even if you cant stand one or two of em.
              Learn how to deal with Me feiners.
              Learn how to absorb information and commands quickly.
              If you can doo all that you will be off to a very good start.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

RGJ After the events of the last couple of years in Ireland (Economically Speaking) i would seriously consider Enlisting with the BA however with my impending nuptiuals i doubt the long haired general would agree with me !!! Thanks for the offer all the same

Could anyone offer a Diary for a day of a recruit or similar?

Something along the lines of the Radio 1 Doc the Recruits!!

CW

Comment

covered before for PDF IIRC several times, HA did one some long time ago ?
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Something along the lines of the Radio 1 Doc the Recruits!!

CW
                    Do you mean something like a blog? Or just a general day in the life of a Recruit?

A lad that was in my platoon for a while set one up over on boards.ie... It didn't end well for him.

I think recruits from the 27th did something in the local paper, a weekly update of their progress or something like that? I dunno if you'd find it on the net though.

Comment

Hello Alaska

What happened to the lad with the blog?

Comment

Hello Alaska

What happened to the lad with the blog?
                        He was identified and got a slap on the wrist. The problem wasn't with the blog itself, more to do with some of the stuff he was saying about Training NCO's etc.

In the end he didn't finish training anyway, wasn't fit enough.

As an RDF member, you'll probably come across enough PDF lads more than willing to talk about their training. The experience differs for everyone but you should find that everyone agrees that it's a brilliant experience.

Comment

Im working on the fitness at the minute as it wouldt have been nearly up to scratch to even get past the PT test but its looking up progressed to jogging with a bergen now!!!

Still a while to go but getting there

Comment

Im working on the fitness at the minute as it wouldt have been nearly up to scratch to even get past the PT test but its looking up progressed to jogging with a bergen now!!!

Still a while to go but getting there
                            Not to go off Topic, but Its called a pack, never here anyone call it a bergen. FYI

Great way to get fit is get on a bike about 4 times per week. low impact and great for the lungs.

Try and stay on grass when running and if your carrying a day sac/ main pack start off with 25-30lbs and gradually build it up.. with well broken in boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                              Great way to get fit is get on a bike about 4 times per week. low impact and great for the lungs
                              Am getting my running regime going again after a bit of a broken spell, due to being
                              abroad with work - still not as badly fcuked as I thought I might be, went for a couple
                              of K of a run last night, and wasn't quite calving after it

Will have to dust down the bike aswell, myself, I think....
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                              X