Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groundhog
    replied
    GP's were going to the Lebanon for years because of a lack of army doctors.

Don't know who told you that one but every Doctor that went to Lebanon was an officer in the PDF. Of course as they are all direct entries it could technically be said that they were GPs in uniform but, probably for insurance purposes if for nothing else, there was never an occassion where a civvie doctor went overseas.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Anyone who applied and is approved will get on the depot staff; there is no prejudice but be sure your base will be the Brugha and expect not to have too many free weekends.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Mmmm, Trellheim, unsure if a comparison with the US ROTC is valid. Reason being the one big factor, which Mr Aiken mentioned - time off for Reserve commitments is not written into law here, as in the UK, US, etc.
    A couple of our boys were at that meeting too, we were talking about it the other
    night. The Reserve Brigade Trg. Centre sounds like a good idea, but who' s
    going to crew it, i.e; training staff? In practical terms, it will be folks in the immediate vicinity, e.g; Dublin-based NCO's/Offrs for the Res. BTC in C/Brugha, etc.

As for unit insignia, I think it would be shocking pity if flashes became standardised
    across the board, some of the neat individual flashes I' ve seen on Bailer's
    website, and on irishmilitary.com would be lost. Perhaps a case to be made for units having some input into the design of their new flashes. In some cases, all that would be reqd. would be a change to the number on the flash, whilst retaining the remainder of the design....

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Maybe California Tanker might help; whats the recruit training commitment for National Guard in Year 1 ?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    When would people get 8 weeks off? Don't think too may employers would be up for letting someboby off for 8 weeks training?
    Will legasation work?
    He mentioned distance learning for the the officers course a number of weekends, and 3 or 4 weeks for 1 year, so I guess 8 weeks for a recurit would be a long time (to get off work) more like 4 or 3 weeks would more pratical.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    I cant see why someting like that wont come in. The Commandant was noting that our training is going to be nothing like previous training. There will be "no more trying to train recruits/2 stars on a weekly parade". New training regime at a higher tempo.

Leave a comment:

• Thorpe
    replied
    I know it would be good if it was brought in but i can see why it would`nt alright

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    Yes but, neither the plans for the inetgrated or non-integrated elements have that amount of full time training proposed. It was brought up in a few of the submissions about 5 years ago but was obviously dropped in the subsequent reviews.

Leave a comment:

• Thorpe
    replied
    There are a few RDF Doctors hanging about the place down around my part of the world.
    8 week block training sounds fairly handy and should bring up standardss

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    Recruits doing 8 week block training together is an idea/suggestion it is not definate.

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    I didn't know we had any RDF doctors anymore

Leave a comment:

• JAG
    replied
    I don't really believe it's remarkable that an RDF doctor is going to Liberia- GP's were going to the Lebanon for years because of a lack of army doctors.

Silly question- does anyone know when it is going to happen that recruits will do their recruit training in block- eight weeks altogether or whatever? I am awaiting the advertising campaign for this with anxiety, lest I be too old when it (finally) arrives.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    thats right goldie fish, another thing i forgot (endless...) is there is I.T's for all promotions from now on. NCO and higher. Im not sure about courses or did he mention recruits but someone has to do I.T's then everyone has to do it.

The I.T's are the same as PDF standards.

There is no way they are selling the brugha after seeing that presentation. They have everything there and there is 2 major construction projects to begin in it soon. It wont be sold.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    I may be wrong in this but the Southern brigade have been at this level for some time now. The proposed re org into 3 infantry bns,the title of which is still being debated,though for clarity they are being referred to geographically,ie west munster,south munster etc,and some old timers are regarding this as a return to the days of the Munster Fusiliers(though its a nice thought).
    We have in the Southern Brigade,participating in exercises with the PDF,at brigade level for the last 2 years. And this is not just as enemy. Units from the RDF have provided a company strength composite unit in a Supported Bn level exercise. Anyone on PSO knows of what i speak.
    It is getting tougher,in terms of fitness and commitment, and as I have said in the past,if dispensing with the less useful individuals in the RDF,even if i am included in that bunch,means a more respected efficient, useful force, then I look forward to the day I get my marching orders.

Leave a comment:

• The Joker
    replied
    So is it true then............

Leave a comment:

Working...
X