New Rifle or Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Funny there was me thinking the M203 had been around for a good while!
    Maybe they are planning on replacing the 203.
    Rhodes
    Brigadier General
    Last edited by Rhodes; 25 March 2012, 15:22. Reason: spelling

Comment

• I believe they're converting the 203 to a pictanny mount so you can take it off your rifle without needing an armorer. Would make things a lot easier.
      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post

Should this be in ''Lazy journalism''?
        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
          The Steyr unlike the SA-80, requires no modifications to the internal workings.. Its a reliable weapon.. The upgrade is external.

FYI, AUS/KIWI Steyrs were made in Australia using different components to the original Austrian Steyrs we use.
          yeah fair one the SA80A1 absolutely needed an upgrade internally, but who made those supplied to the Falkland Island Defence Force?

their old Steyr A1's give them stoppages galore.
          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
            yeah fair one the SA80A1 absolutely needed an upgrade internally, but who made those supplied to the Falkland Island Defence Force?

their old Steyr A1's give them stoppages galore.
            No idea who made the FIDF Steyrs.Our Steyrs have worked properly since day 1 though.Ahem Ahem.
            As said above the upgrade programme for the rifle is to bring it up to 21st century standard.Better optics and modularity.Nothing to do with reliability.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
              No idea who made the FIDF Steyrs.Our Steyrs have worked properly since day 1 though.Ahem Ahem.
              to be fair - they haven't exactly seen much action though have they

chill - i take it all back!

fair one though - it took us 2 attempts to get it right, your mob got it right first time.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

fair one though - it took us 2 attempts to get it right, your mob got it right first time.
                The joy of not having an indigineous arms industry.
                "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                  it's all about the money mate.
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

it's all about the money mate.
                    It was also about going with a British Design to support local industry and hopefully develop an export market. Whereas we had the luxury of a relatively apolotical off the shelf purchase.

For further and worse examples of the L85 debacle see every procurement the French have made since the end of the cold war.
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• oh well - it was worth a shot (excuse the pun).
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Two attempts ? I thought the rifle went through something like 45 modifications in its service life ?
                        Or are you referring to SA80 -> SA80A2 ?
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

To be fair there's also the element of having your calibre of choice decided by the yanks, street design work was well advanced..

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                            Two attempts ? I thought the rifle went through something like 45 modifications in its service life ?
                            Or are you referring to SA80 -> SA80A2 ?
                            yes A1 to A2 mate - the A1 is just a bad memory best forgotten about.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

I am not fully committed to the idea of us having our own arms industry but I think we should definitly have our own ammunition factory.
                              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• We'd never be able to produce ammunition at a price less than what we can buy it from Israel for.
                                The end result would be far less ammunition for the DF not more.

Comment

Working...
                                X