No announcement yet.

New Rifle or Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That kaltech thing has a serious recoil..big step back wards as reduced recoil was one of the pluses when it came to the steyr.

The ejection system would be open to all sorts of fouling.Imagine the problems a damaged casing could cause.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by amurph0 View Post
      Yeah i know that, but what would happen if you were shooting upwards?? The rounds wouldn't fall out, it would just jam.
      They would. There'd just be a stack of casings in the tube, which eventually will be forced out the end by the following casings.

If the MSAR and TPD parts are compatible with the original AUG then it should also be possible to convert it to use 6.8mm ammunition.
      TPD are fully compatible. Indeed, they use the Steyr NATO stock. (With accompanying legal requirement that only US-made magazines are used with it. Obscure US law about parts count and country of origin).

MSAR is proprietary. They are built to slightly different specifications and many parts are not compatible with Steyr's.

NTM
      California Tanker
      My tank is bigger...
      Last edited by California Tanker; 15 June 2010, 21:17.
      Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

The Germans got rid of the G3 ages ago. Do you mean the G36?
        Ta, yes....
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

the G36 looks about 6ft long...no thanks!! i'll stick to a nice shorty steyr.

bearing in mind the general reduction in size of soldiers rifles, and H&K usually being quite progressive regarding rifle design, i can never understand how the G36 ended up looking like a space marine's rifle from Aliens
          Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
            the G36 looks about 6ft long...no thanks!! i'll stick to a nice shorty steyr.

bearing in mind the general reduction in size of soldiers rifles, and H&K usually being quite progressive regarding rifle design, i can never understand how the G36 ended up looking like a space marine's rifle from Aliens
            This is a G36KV used by Norway

The G36 comes in various different lengths and configurations just like the Steyr.

It is one of the most reliable and advanced rifles in the world. The XM8 used the exact same system as the G36 when it was being designed and the Hk416 also uses that system.

The G36 your thinking of is the standard configuration and is the version used by the Germans and export (E/V versions) used by some other countries. It is the same length as an M16 and is designed for the same purposes.

Which is the top one in this pic:

The G36K is the same length as the M4.

The G36C is even shorter.

Out of all the rifles being adopted across the world today. The G36 is being selected more then any other. Most of the Eastern European countries who have only just upgraded from the AK series have selected the G36.

The magazine well can be removed without any tools and replaced to make the rifle compatible with any 5.56x45mm magazine, including Steyr and STANAG magazines.
            spaceghetti
            Sergeant Major
            Last edited by spaceghetti; 16 June 2010, 21:39.

Comment

The XM8 used the exact same system as the G36 when it was being designed and the Hk416 also uses that system.
              No it doesn't.

The G36 is a nice weapon, with a lot of thought put into the design, and would probably be a good choice if going for a completely new weapons system, but the steyr is doing quite well as it is, and only needs a few upgrades to bring it completely into line with modern systems. The G36 doesn't really offer enough of a leap in capability or user friendliness to justify the bother of converting to a completely different weapon system.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                No it doesn't.
                From the Hk website:
                http://www.hk-usa.com/military_produ...16_general.asp

The HK416 (5.56 mm) was developed by Heckler & Koch for U.S. special operations forces as a major product improvement of M4/M16-type carbines and rifles. Using the HK-proprietary gas piston system found on the G36, the HK416 does not introduce propellant gases and carbon fouling back into the weapon’s interior, making it the most reliable of any M4/M16 type weapon.

Comment

That'd be the same gas piston system found on the steyr, and myriad other rifles? An XM8 was a G36 with different furniture and identitical working parts, while the HK416 was an M16 action modified with one feature from the G36.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                    That'd be the same gas piston system found on the steyr, and myriad other rifles?.
                    Not really the Hk416 and G36 use a self-regulating feature in their gas systems not found in other rifles.

Comment

The G36 comes in various different lengths and configurations just like the Steyr.

The G36 your thinking of is the standard configuration and is the version used by the Germans and export (E/V versions) used by some other countries. It is the same length as an M16 and is designed for the same purposes.
                      Yes, i'm aware that it comes in different lengths and versions. The C and K do look quite nice alright. It would be unlikely they would be bought as a standard issue rifle though.

However, the regular version as you've said is the length of an M16. I think if the DF went with it it would be a step backwards from the steyr in terms of user ergomonics and general handling, etc.

as well as technilogical improvements, part of choosing a new weapon should include making it lighter and smaller for the soldier. not going with something bigger or more cumbersome.
                      Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

Comment

Whatever advances made in rifle design in using light weight polymers and composites will have to deal with more and more weight being added in the form of optics/laser-IR designators/ etc.

one of the largest weight items on any assault rifle will be a full magazine

Reducing the weight of the casings and if possible the round itself would be a huge improvement
                        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

I've been looking for info for that ejection system (which is the same as in the FN F2000) and i can't find any info as to what would happen if he was firing up at an angle??? How would the round eject?
                          I'll just put these here:

Courtesy of "Modern Firearms"
                          http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn75-e.htm

Shouldn't this thread be merged with the "Small Arms Development" thread?
                          http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...ad.php?t=16873
                          spaceghetti
                          Sergeant Major
                          Last edited by spaceghetti; 27 June 2010, 17:26.

Comment

I'll just put these here:

Courtesy of "Modern Firearms"
                            what are they mate?
                            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              what are they mate?
                              Click the link down below the pictures, it has all the info.

It's a Kel-tec RFB

It was the weapon in the vid on the first page. I was asking how the ejection system works. And i just found out there.

Originally posted by paul View Post

Comment

Never knew the Ak-107 had this kinda design in it.

Its a counter weight built into the gas system that blows forwards when fired, helping to eliminate recoil.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as07-e.htm

Also, i thought this was worth a mention because it looks like a mad cross between an AUG and an L85:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as31-e.htm
                                spaceghetti
                                Sergeant Major
                                Last edited by spaceghetti; 6 July 2010, 02:09.

Comment

Working...
                                X