No announcement yet.

New Rifle or Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reckon they will go the upgrade route for now and eventually the A3.Cost too much to modify the ROPS,stores containers,LTAV's etc.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

If it isn't broken don't fix it, there is no money to do it but no harm seeing whats outthere i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
        The FN was in only in service with the PDF from 1961 to 1987,
        the steyr is coming up to the same milestone
        Really ? And what happened the FN in DF service AFTER that point ? It came into FCA service
        and soldiered on until approx 2001....
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

To be fair, you could hardly say it "soldiered" on in FCA service.
          Compared to it's frontline PDF service anyway!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

If I was youngish serving soldier with a likelihood of deployment to afghanistan or similar . I would wish for a 7.62 Nato upgrade .. But as I am not and will most probably only be carrying small stuff for my very close protection in the forseeable future then a 7.62 inter would do . Dont know if u could have a 7.62 version of a bullpup ,probably not

Comment

Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                If I was youngish serving soldier with a likelihood of deployment to afghanistan or similar . I would wish for a 7.62 Nato upgrade .. But as I am not and will most probably only be carrying small stuff for my very close protection in the forseeable future then a 7.62 inter would do . Dont know if u could have a 7.62 version of a bullpup ,probably not
                I don't think it would actually be possible to have a 7.62x51 conversion kit for the steyr. I think the round itself would actually be too long and there wouldn't be enough space behind the magazine for the gun lock group and so on. A complete redesign would be necessary i think.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                  I've been looking for info for that ejection system (which is the same as in the FN F2000) and i can't find any info as to what would happen if he was firing up at an angle??? How would the round eject?

Comment

Originally posted by amurph0 View Post
                    I've been looking for info for that ejection system (which is the same as in the FN F2000) and i can't find any info as to what would happen if he was firing up at an angle??? How would the round eject?

From what I seen, all it does it eject the round into that ejection tube and the force of ejection forces it down the tube, so the following rounds push the previous rounds out the tube.
                    Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                      From what I seen, all it does it eject the round into that ejection tube and the force of ejection forces it down the tube, so the following rounds push the previous rounds out the tube.
                      Yeah i know that, but what would happen if you were shooting upwards?? The rounds wouldn't fall out, it would just jam.

Comment

The FN was a great wepon only problem being it was too big and okward and a bit on the heavey side i had left the army before the steyer came into service but have heard it is very relibale. Anyone got any ideas if the steyer is being replaced on bringing in the Heckler an Koch MP7 as far as i know it's chambered to fire 5.56.
                        Last edited by seven.sixtwo; 15 June 2010, 03:06.

What good is in youth when it's ageing what joy are in eyes that cant see when there's sorrow in sunshine and flowers and only our rivers run free.

Comment

Originally posted by seven.sixtwo View Post
                          The FN was a great weopen only problem being it was too big and okward and a bit on the heavey side i had left the army before the steyer came into service but have heard it is very relibale. Anyone got any ideas if the steyer is being replaced on bringing in the Heckler an Koch MP7 as far as i know it's chambered to fire 5.56.
                          The Mp7 is a Personnel Defence Weapon chambered for 4.6mm and is barely bigger then a pistol.

I think your thinking of something else.

Do you mean the Hk416?

Comment

Originally posted by amurph0 View Post
                            The Mp7 is a Personnel Defence Weapon chambered for 4.6mm and is barely bigger then a pistol.

I think your thinking of something else.

Do you mean the Hk416?
                            yes it could be the HK416 i was thinking of il have to go back to the drawing board on that one.

What good is in youth when it's ageing what joy are in eyes that cant see when there's sorrow in sunshine and flowers and only our rivers run free.

Comment

Would the DF consider moving away from a bullpup design, I wonder ?

What about the HK G3 ? Good enough for the Germans.... ?
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                                Would the DF consider moving away from a bullpup design, I wonder ?

What about the HK G3 ? Good enough for the Germans.... ?
                                The Germans got rid of the G3 ages ago. Do you mean the G36?

Comment

Working...
                                X