New Rifle or Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
    Jasus, an MI is not that heavy, a touch heavier perhaps then a Lee Enfield .303....
    They should try a FN with a Starlight....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
      I wonder how much extra the new sights, rails and accessories will weigh?
      Who cares?

Once they look cool in photo's, that's all that matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
        Who cares?

Once they look cool in photo's, that's all that matters.
        until you go on a patrol and you gotta go carrying it around for extended periods! but hey, thats what slings are for!

Comment

• Cant be any heavier than the 203 with a kite fitted eh Alaska??
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
            Cant be any heavier than the 203 with a kite fitted eh Alaska??
            Don't talk to me about that poxy Kite!

Comment

• Cant be any heavier than the 203 with a kite fitted eh Alaska??
              Oh... the breaks.....

Where me Brown Bess with 6pdr attached!
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Off topic - perhaps Jungle can verify/disqualify my impression that the Diemaco C8 w. M203 and night optic is actually lighterthan its accessories?

On topic: I wonder if the DF will end up with something akin to the British LDS I.e. a cheaper less Gucci version of the Elcan Spectre
                "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                  Off topic - perhaps Jungle can verify/disqualify my impression that the Diemaco C8 w. M203 and night optic is actually lighterthan its accessories?
                  Good question; we rarely use night optics on the C7 or C8. We use the monocular NVG/IR aimpoint combination. But you are probably right that the C8 would be lighter on it's own then it's accessories combined; and don't forget the flashlight, it's the only accessory I never removed from my C8 in Afg.

We did start receiving a light thermal sight (and medium, and heavy) that we can use on the rifle/carbine/LMG, but I did not get a chance to look into those yet...
                  "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Just in-case its relevant, some body asked via the Defence Forces official facebook page, is there going to be a rifle upgrade. He received this public reply "[...] a board looked at updating the sighting system and providing rails/brackets for additional equipment to be added in a modular fashion. The weapon itself remains an excellent piece of kit and has served the DF well both at home and on deployment overseas to extremes like Kosovo and Chad. No decision has been taken on the way forward yet."
                    SWEAT SAVES BLOOD

Comment

• Looks like the program to upgrade is a go, here's a qoute from Fergus O'Dowd when answering questions in place of the Minister
                      "The provision allocated in 2012 for the purchase of defensive equipment is €27.5 million. This allows for the acquisition of a range of priority defensive equipment such as force protection equipment and chemical detection equipment and the implementation of a rifle enhancement programme. "
                      "some €3 million has been allocated for an upgrade and modification of 6,000 current in-service rifles. The commencement of the rifle enhancement programme is a priority and it will run for from two to three years"
                      CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• Originally posted by REX View Post
                        Looks like the program to upgrade is a go, here's a qoute from Fergus O'Dowd when answering questions in place of the Minister
                        "The provision allocated in 2012 for the purchase of defensive equipment is €27.5 million. This allows for the acquisition of a range of priority defensive equipment such as force protection equipment and chemical detection equipment and the implementation of a rifle enhancement programme. "
                        "some €3 million has been allocated for an upgrade and modification of 6,000 current in-service rifles. The commencement of the rifle enhancement programme is a priority and it will run for from two to three years"
                        Only 6,000 rifles for modification.
                        It must be just for Infantry and overseas troops.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                          Think again. When was the last time you saw an officer with a rifle? The people who only carry Pistols or GPMGs?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                            Initially. (I hope!!)
                            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                            He put a bullet through his brain.
                            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                              Initially. (I hope!!)

Thats it AFAIK..Only for C and CS troops..

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                                Think again. When was the last time you saw an officer with a rifle?
                                Today....

Standard firearm of officers in a battalion is Steyr - except when on security duty. So those rifles will also need to be upgraded.

Comment

Working...
                                X