Kilworth Camp Childrens activity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kilworth Camp Childrens activity...

Has anyone heard of this or know who is running it?

It seems they Bring Kids(primary school) out and give them a taste of "military training".
    My Nephew is due to go next week, mut his mother wants to know a bit more about it.

Another class were there recently and from reports the treatment the CHILDREN got was more like the way things were before A7.....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Heard something along the same lines from the girlfriend, who used to work with a kids program in Cork city, whereby one day out they had was when they were taken to Kilworth for the day and played soldiers.
    Will ask here about it, as I know she didn't accompany the kids on the day but some of her colleagues did.
    Beyond the Leap, beyond the law!

Comment

Maybe they are re enactors. They demonstrate the good old days. Probably give the kids the pink hairy longjohns and the old flip flop runners. Give them an FN, Put a gas mask on and run them around the sheep pens. You'll find them from the screams of get em up! get em up! Oh to be a recruit again.

On a more serious note, it sounds a bit strange. Surely this isn't officially DF sanctioned?

Comment

Originally posted by dahamster View Post
        On a more serious note, it sounds a bit strange. Surely this isn't officially DF sanctioned?
        Why not ? Plenty of other companies in civvy street do a similar "Kids To Work" scheme

Granted a "Kids To Work" scheme in the DF would be "A Life Less Ordinary"
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

These would be 9-10 year olds. It seems many returned traumatised by what they were put through(lots of blind leaps etc) and the local principal is getting it in the ear from the parents.

It sounded fine for teenagers, but not for kids.

Could the "Boot Camp Ireland" crowd be involved?

Comment

yeah? sounds a bit mental. but surely they werent forced to do it, they could have opted out?
            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
            He put a bullet through his brain.
            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Not really. These are children. They do what adults tell them, particularly when adults are shouting army men....

Comment

true alright...do they really shout and push them that way?

Comment

My sister is more concerned that those involved are vetted for working with kids.

Comment

good point actually...

Comment

Is this actually on within the camp?

Comment

Originally posted by dahamster View Post
                        Is this actually on within the camp?
                        I'm not sure. Kilworth camp to me is the Militarycamp, but as my sisters, whose kids have been there, are useless at geography, it could just as easily be held in Kilworth village.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Of None View Post
                          Heard something along the same lines from the girlfriend, who used to work with a kids program in Cork city, whereby one day out they had was when they were taken to Kilworth for the day and played soldiers.
                          Will ask here about it, as I know she didn't accompany the kids on the day but some of her colleagues did.
                          Right as promised:
                          She was under the impression they were real soldiers doing the training. How true this was is open to interpretation as she wasn't there on the day (& her knowledge of what a soldier is wouldn't be the greatest either! ).

The time they encountered it was run as rough tough day for some inner city Cork teens (in the Junior Cert bracket) who would have difficult backgrounds (They are good kids, just challenging backgrounds).
                          Those that went were supposed to have thoroughly enjoyed getting dirty and had fun.

Again all third hand stuff, but this is what she heard from her colleagues.
                          Beyond the Leap, beyond the law!

Comment

Seems fine for that target audience, but a bit heavy going for primary school kids under 10. It seems they were supposed to go to Kilcully Scout activity centre, but that was double booked, and they ended up in Kilworth instead.

I heard one of the main complaints were that parents, who in many cases are unemployed, who had provided a packed lunch for kids going on the day, do not have the luxury of having surplus food for it to be trampled into the ground by organisers of the tour destination, whoever they are.

Comment

No soldier should have to put up with a bunch od screamimg 10 yr olds, Its unfair, they will be traumatized, the soldiers, , I can hear the claims already being prepared,

Comment

Working...
                              X