Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The how to wear the DPM Uniform CORRECTLY guide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The how to wear the DPM Uniform CORRECTLY guide.

Basically, what I'm hoping from this thread is that the more knowledgable members on here can pass on some of their hard learned advice on how to wear the DPM Uniform correctly.

From being on camp, I saw the million and one ways of wearing the beret. If someone could possibly post a picture of a properly shaped one, and a guide for shaping one, that'd be great. Especially useful if, like myself, you were handed your beret walking into the barracks.

A guide on how to roll the sleeves correctly would be handy too.

Also, if someone could give a guide on how to properly press the uniform, where to crease it, where to make flat, little tips like that that'll make life a little easier.

Any other little hints and tricks are greatly appreciated.

This could be very handy to anyone who's still waiting to go on recruit camp.

Thanks lads.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Strangely enough, this is something that wasn't ever made expressly clear in my unit either. Up until a year ago, I was ironing a straight single crease across the back of my shirt, joining the creases on my shoulders. It wasn't until someone from the PDF asked why I was doing it when no-one else was, I realised I was instructed incorrectly.

I probably shape my beret incorrectly for the DF too, as I'm in the habit of shaping mine ala Brit. Basically the fold starts at the bottom of the badge, rather than the top; but I haven't been bollocked for it yet, and so it shall remain.

I fold the shirt to 3 fingers height from the top of the elbow with the fold being 3 fingers in width also. I cannot stand anyone who fold their shirts below the elbow, or in the case of one officer I can think of, doesn't bother to roll his sleaves up what so ever despite it being SHORT sleave order!! Really grips my shite that!!

I'm not the shining example of how to wear the uniform, but maybe one of our more experienced soldiers on the board would care to photograph the necessary folds and creases for the uniform and post it up as a sticky?

Comment

As for tips:
      Shave your beret before you shape it to remove the fluff.
      Always take extra care not to iron train tracks (double lines) in your sleaves.
      Personally, I iron the map pockets last on the trousers and iron the back of the pocket flaps to get them flat.
      ALWAYS hang your uniform when not wearing it.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
        As for tips:
        Shave your beret before you shape it to remove the fluff.
        Always take extra care not to iron train tracks (double lines) in your sleaves.
        Personally, I iron the map pockets last on the trousers and iron the back of the pocket flaps to get them flat.
        ALWAYS hang your uniform when not wearing it.
        I'd reccommend not shaving the beret.

The fluff will wear away. If you shave it you could shave through the felt and ruin the beret.
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

For folding the sleves I use the rank slider.

Measure, fold and steam iron. Repeat 3 times (ie 4 in total) and both sleves will be the same lenght with no wrinkles, creases, etc and will fall just a fraction above the bend on the elbow.

Beret - badge over left eye, front of beret straight across the forhead, 2 fingers lenghts above the eye and pull down on the RHS. Some people suggest removing the lining but no one on IMO would ever suggest altering the Minister's property.

All pocket flaps should be pinned down with studs or felcro. The new issues have felcro.

The collar on the shirt should be ironed flat.

The hood on the smock should be flat. The smock to be worn buttoned at all times. I generally don't use the zip unless it's cold at which stage you can use the zip to close and fold back the smock around the neck. Otherwise the smock is worn with the collares foled back. The draw cords should be used to give the smock a fitted appearence with the draw cords tie off.

Don't forget - buttons closed at all times, beret on correctly, boots clean and polished, should keep you out of trouble.
          I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
          Who is number 1?

Comment

The sleeves shoukd be just above the elbow joint.

Iron the sleeves (with them down). Then carefully fold up the with width of the cuff. Keep going until you reason the bottom of the pen pocket on the left arm (that is the level that is correct for me). As you turn it up, fix it and then turn up again. It isn't difficult!

The band of the beret should be paralell to the ground the whole way around, it should just sit on the head.

Take off the cap badge, put beret in warm water. Wring out put on head in correct shape. Let it try for as long as possible/necessary on head.

Double sided tape is good for pockets.

The zip on the smock should never be open on parade, it should be done up to the full extent.

Originally posted by paul
            There is if I'm not mistaken a section in a manual on how to shape the beret correctly. I seen it well over a year ago now, so I've no idea what it's in.
            To the best of my knowledge there is no manual on uniform, sure the DFRs on uniform haven't been updated with DPM!

Comment

Don't you people have NCO's?

Seriously, what kind of Unit's are people running when troops are coming onto the Internet to find out how to wear the uniform?

****ing hell.

Comment

Where do you think the NCOs learn it :D

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                  Don't you people have NCO's?

Seriously, what kind of Unit's are people running when troops are coming onto the Internet to find out how to wear the uniform?

****ing hell.
                  I suppose it depends on the calibre of your NCOs

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    The zip on the smock should never be open on parade, it should be done up to the full extent.
                    And that is contrary to the instruction on the DPM uniform - although 90% of the Army do zip it up all the way.

To the best of my knowledge there is no manual on uniform, sure the DFRs on uniform haven't been updated with DPM!
                    There is an instruction on it.

Comment

The sleeves shoukd be just above the elbow joint.

Iron the sleeves (with them down). Then carefully fold up the with width of the cuff. Keep going until you reason the bottom of the pen pocket on the left arm (that is the level that is correct for me). As you turn it up, fix it and then turn up again. It isn't difficult!

The band of the beret should be paralell to the ground the whole way around, it should just sit on the head.

Take off the cap badge, put beret in warm water. Wring out put on head in correct shape. Let it try for as long as possible/necessary on head.

Double sided tape is good for pockets.

All correct DEV.Except the dress instruction part.Also creases ARE ironed into the sleeves before you roll them up.Sleeves worn down and buttoned from 30th of september until 1st of April(winter dress)Rolled up after that.If Norgie or long sleeve thermal top is worn underneath sleeves should also be rolled down.Pockets ironed flat all over uniform.No crease in pants.Trouser leg drawcords NOT to be visible.
                      Beret gets a better shape if you cut out the lining.use your own initiative on that one.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Except the dress instruction part.
                        Docman/apod, any chance of a copy??

Sleeves worn down and buttoned from 30th of september until 1st of April(winter dress)Rolled up after that.
                        I know a barracks thats standing order is that "winter dress" doesn't exist.

Comment

Might seem obvious, but use either a steam iron or a damp cloth. They don't like shiny !
                          Also if when you've taken the lining out of your beret, you damp it slightly and fold it carefully - band to band and then once again - and put it under a heavy book for a while it is suprisingly easy to fit properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
                            A guide on how to roll the sleeves correctly would be handy too..

Result is sleeves like the guy on the left in this photo:

Folding it this way makes the hole for the arm smaller and the sleeve tighter, so it fits the arm perfectly.

To change the arm hole size just fold the sleeve in half further to make it smaller, and vice versa to make it bigger.

Comment

Need I say more..............
                              Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Working...
                              X