No announcement yet.

Usual kit difficulties RDF 2010 [ threadsplit ]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was sworn in over a month ago and I still havn't been issued my uniform.... And time is tight as recruit camp is approaching

Comment

Dont want to worry you mate but on our recruit camp last year we had lads only getting their kit on the the wed afternoon! Couldnt have looked like a bigger bunch of knobs marching around barracks half in dpms half in civvys, some magnums, some parades some Haix, some bush hats and some very questionable berets!!!!

We oly got properly out on the square on the friday morning for an hour before we left!!!!
      Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
        Dont want to worry you mate but on our recruit camp last year we had lads only getting their kit on the the wed afternoon! Couldnt have looked like a bigger bunch of knobs marching around barracks half in dpms half in civvys, some magnums, some parades some Haix, some bush hats and some very questionable berets!!!!

We oly got properly out on the square on the friday morning for an hour before we left!!!!
        That is f##king criminal. Also, poor gits having to march in the Haix boots. The ones I've seen are almost twice the weight of the Magnums. I'd say they'd be awful to have to march in if you'd never worn boots before.
        Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
          Also, poor gits having to march in the Haix boots. The ones I've seen are almost twice the weight of the Magnums. I'd say they'd be awful to have to march in if you'd never worn boots before.
          Are you serious?

Cribbinig about the weight of a pair of boots-
          I remember doing a 300m sprint to a 25pdr in a pair ot steel toed Haix then being made lift said 25pdr, and trust me the weight of my boots didnt even cross my mind....
          But there's no danger
          It's a professional career
          Though it could be arranged
          With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
          If you're out of luck you're out of work
          We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

There were a few cribbing alright. Compared to the Magnums they're heavy to lift. How are the Haix compared to Magnums comfort wise? And actually, are there any other stories like that posted by Celtic-Warrior?

Comment

There were a few cribbing alright. Compared to the Magnums they're heavy to lift. How are the Haix compared to Magnums comfort wise? And actually, are there any other stories like that posted by Celtic-Warrior?
              well our unit and the neighboring unit all had our kit sorted, the Q's were class in that respect but some of the other units on recruit camp were turning up and getting handed bits and bobs, berets, smocks, boots...but that was all sorted on the first day. I've never heard anything like what C-W says!
              I knew a simple soldier boy.....
              Who grinned at life in empty joy,
              Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
              And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
              With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
              He put a bullet through his brain.
              And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
              Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
              Sneak home and pray you'll never know
              The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

When should expect a name tag? And does anyone ever get 2* rank slides. I've seen a few around. May have been privately bought.

Comment

When should expect a name tag? And does anyone ever get 2* rank slides. I've seen a few around. May have been privately bought.
                  we were issued 2* slides (though we had to hand them to the next batch of 2*'s when we got our 3*'s) and I have around 8 nametags (though mine is a rather common second name around here...)

Not sure you'll find it too easy to get Blackadder name tags...

Comment

Name tags and rank markings are individual issue.

Comment

I experienced similiar issues to Celtic Warrior. It's been my experience so far in the RDF that kit is seldom issued in a consolidated fashion. I was issued my kit moments before leaving for recruit camp, and had I not brought my own boots, I would have been wearing trainers on parade. The NCOs were digging out old personal spare kit to give to the lads to help "complete" some their uniforms. One lad had to wear a BA bush hat, as we were short on bush hats.
                      I remember at the time thinking that I joining something between Dad's Army and a Militia!

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                        I remember at the time thinking that I joining something between Dad's Army and a Militia!
                        except Dad's Army had a purpose and militia are usually highly motivated.

On the issue of British DPM given that its much easier to pick up plce in dpm and its better to have a daysack thats dpm of somesort rather than OG, Commanders should give greater freedom for troops to wear what they wish.

Of course it raises the question of why did we not just adopt British DPM when moving from OGs

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post

Of course it raises the question of why did we not just adopt British DPM when moving from OGs
                          well it could have caused a few issues along the border from those who wouldnt know any different and in places like Bosnia where the Brits were aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                            well it could have caused a few issues along the border from those who wouldnt know any different and in places like Bosnia where the Brits were aswell.
                            I think that's the point of the flags on the uniform mate. As for DPM patterns, it shouldn't matter what pattern you wear. The pattern isn't there to define you, it's there to hide you.

And Ref the bush hat saga, we aren't issued with berets until we're 2* in our unit, so that lad was wearing the Brit DPM bush hat all day whilst cutting about the Bks.

Comment

I think that's the point of the flags on the uniform mate. As for DPM patterns, it shouldn't matter what pattern you wear. The pattern isn't there to define you, it's there to hide you.

And Ref the bush hat saga, we aren't issued with berets until we're 2* in our unit, so that lad was wearing the Brit DPM bush hat all day whilst cutting about the Bks.
                              true enough but sometimes people wouldn't see the flag first, just the pattern.

RE kit difficulties: all of the basic kit for us was there when it was needed. True enough some people had 24B's going on recruit camp but they were issued the magnums on camp. (I'm speaking for our Coy and the neighboring Coy) Though you need to jump through hoops to try and get Hiax or a bush hat in these parts
                              Last edited by Buck; 30 July 2010, 15:33.

Comment

Pardon my intervention, but I think I have a valid point.

Following the Suez Canal crisis in 1956, Canada deployed troops as part of a UN peacekeeping force in the region. Back then, we were mostly dressed, armed and equipped like the British Army. Cdn troops were regularly engaged by the opposing factions, and the reason given was that we looked too much like the Brits.

Following that mission, the Cdn Army decided to develop and adopt a uniquely Cdn uniform, and we have kept to that since. The UN also decided to paint it's vehicles white as a result of that mission.

In the context of PSOs today, the uniform becomes an identifying factor, and having a distinctive national pattern makes tactical, operational and strategic sense.

Just my 2 pesos...
                                "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X