Usual kit difficulties RDF 2010 [ threadsplit ]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usual kit difficulties RDF 2010 [ threadsplit ]

wonder if theres any likelihood of the RDF getting any of the kit mentioned above (helmet, CEFO, vests, whatever). Anyone know?
    Certainly. The PDF completely ignore the regulation mandating issue of such items to those RDF members entitled to them.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    Certainly. The PDF completely ignore the regulation mandating issue of such items to those RDF members entitled to them.
    but are the RDF entitled to the same kit, i.e the new type battle vest, helmet, etc etc? I'm not sure, but I'm definitely open for correction.
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

entitled? but the RDF doesnt need that stuff, the current stuff is absolutely fine, the money needed to buy all that expensive kit would be much more wisely spent elsewhere. The RDF gets the kit it needs its just many members dont see a distinction between kit thats adequate for their needs or is likely to get used and kit thats the exact same as the regs.

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
        entitled? but the RDF doesnt need that stuff, the current stuff is absolutely fine, the money needed to buy all that expensive kit would be much more wisely spent elsewhere. The RDF gets the kit it needs its just many members dont see a distinction between kit thats adequate for their needs or is likely to get used and kit thats the exact same as the regs.
        I agree but the kit that, well my unit has, most times the clips are broke, missing, straps torn so can't be used, or just not there, helmets missing covers, missing the head strap, pouches missing, pouch ring connector thingys broke or missing etc etc.
        And then when you do get issued it, spend a while swapping bits to get a half decent kit, then you have to break it down and hand it back in and go through the trouble and time wasting of putting it together again next time.

I believe those that have a good attendance record, those who will stay with the unit should get issued a backpack( or bergen, whatever one doesn't make people rant dont call it that, call it this) with a decent set of webbing and sleeping system, hell even eating irons and mess tin so when they arrive in for a weekend of tactics, they are ready to hit the ground as soon as they step in the gate, no screwing around handing kit out and then taking it back again.

Comment

Originally posted by Vamp369 View Post
          I agree but the kit that, well my unit has, most times the clips are broke, missing, straps torn so can't be used, or just not there, helmets missing covers, missing the head strap, pouches missing, pouch ring connector thingys broke or missing etc etc.
          And then when you do get issued it, spend a while swapping bits to get a half decent kit, then you have to break it down and hand it back in and go through the trouble and time wasting of putting it together again next time.

I believe those that have a good attendance record, those who will stay with the unit should get issued a backpack( or bergen, whatever one doesn't make people rant dont call it that, call it this) with a decent set of webbing and sleeping system, hell even eating irons and mess tin so when they arrive in for a weekend of tactics, they are ready to hit the ground as soon as they step in the gate, no screwing around handing kit out and then taking it back again.
          Yeah the condition of kit sometimes leaves a lot to be desired, but is the ex PDF stuff that has been replaced by the new gucci stuff not started to trickle down? Once that stuff is available it should be issued out so repair work can be undertaken at the members expense. Helmet covers and a mix of webbing systems is disgraceful no two ways about it but its nonetheless a problem that can be solved with current stocks.
          Last edited by CS Gass; 11 July 2010, 23:23.

Comment

Yeah the condition of kit sometimes leaves a lot to be desired, but is the ex PDF stuff that has been replaced by the new gucci stuff not started to trickle down? Once that stuff is available it should be issued out so repair work can be undertaken at the members expense. Helmet covers and a mix of webbing systems is disgraceful no two ways about it but its nonetheless a problem that can be solved with current stocks.
            It should but it doesn't. It probably will but its taking its time. The problem I believe is, those who make the decisions, as Im sure you know too well yourself, aren't the ones using the kit, so are in no rush to get it for the rest for the troops who will be getting down and dirty with it.
            Or maybe those who have it are in no rush to ship it out.

Comment

Aye well thats the frustrating roundabout where practically every problem with the reserve comes back to certain members. If PLCE is sitting idle somewhere, units should start practicing dragging wounded comrades to safety, that drill burns through sets of 58 patt like no ones business, when Coys haven't even enough scraps to make up webbing to equip an FSG the brass will have to allow the newer stuff be dusted off.

Comment

Eh,no.Not really.The only RDF who were "entitled" to IPLCS were the Integrated lads.Thats finished for now.So who are you refereing to??

ALL the PLCE stock is ex-PDF.What Gucci kit are you referring to??
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

.The only RDF who were "entitled" to IPLCS were the Integrated lads.
                  1. No time limit on the reg. Integrated doesn't have a time component. No posting to parent unit, it's a course-ish but the experiment is concluded according to the MOD.

2. Even given (1) above, no member of the RDF was ever issued IPLCS on a permanent basis (AFAIK ) , even though the reg governing IPLCS issued well before Integration.

And before people start banging on about upkeep, care and maintenance, remember we are/were the integrated; we're not going to wander off.

Comment

Going off topic I know a bit

Comment

2. Even given (1) above, no member of the RDF was ever issued IPLCS on a permanent basis (AFAIK ) , even though the reg governing IPLCS issued well before Integration.
                      I know of one pdf unit who I believe genuinely tried to isuue IPLCS during integration.
                      They hit a hiccup when the PMS system would only accept pdf service numbers for the issue of IPLCS.
                      That was no willingness to sort that at a higher level so it never happened.

With small numbers doing a lot of training side by side with the pdf, it made sense to have everyone kitted out the same.
                      Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

PMS system would only accept pdf service numbers
                        But it accepted] my number well enough for a spare pair of trousers last week. ( IMS perhaps, not the PMS ) . There are also a couple of people with the IT knowledge in the RDF to make that problem go away.

Comment

But it accepted] my number well enough for a spare pair of trousers last week. ( IMS perhaps, not the PMS ) . There are also a couple of people with the IT knowledge in the RDF to make that problem go away.
                          Your number isn't 7 digits. PMS is designed to only accept 6 digit numbers.

As for the idea of RDF "fixing" the system - would a civvie company allow what is essentially a casual worker to have access to the internal workings of their computer systems?
                          Last edited by Barry; 12 July 2010, 13:56.

Comment

My trousers [ if you want to keep that example ] are on issue to me. my number shows up on the voucher. What's your point ?

Comment

It should but it doesn't. It probably will but its taking its time. The problem I believe is, those who make the decisions, as Im sure you know too well yourself, aren't the ones using the kit, so are in no rush to get it for the rest for the troops who will be getting down and dirty with it.
                              Or maybe those who have it are in no rush to ship it out.
                              Aye well thats the frustrating roundabout where practically every problem with the reserve comes back to certain members. If PLCE is sitting idle somewhere, units should start practicing dragging wounded comrades to safety, that drill burns through sets of 58 patt like no ones business, when Coys haven't even enough scraps to make up webbing to equip an FSG the brass will have to allow the newer stuff be dusted off.
                              Wait. Are ye talking about 58pattern being replaced or PLCE being replaced?

Because we have all PLCE in our unit and we have the exact same problems as what Vamp369 first said there. The belt buckles on nearly all our sets of PLCE are split in half, and temporarily fixed with black tape, it's holding at the moment. We've barely any pouches, and those we do have are torn, clips are broken, belt connections are broken, etc.

So what are ye getting at??
                              Last edited by spaceghetti; 12 July 2010, 17:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X