• Show
Clear All

• Leave

what the hell is 'local leave'????
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

ok - never heard of it before.

(without wanting to go off topic) surely LEAVE is LEAVE and you can do as you please and go where you like whilst 'on leave'? i.e. if you have a fast bike - what's to stop you blasting up to Dublin in the evening?

or do you mean the cadets are normally confined to camp for the duration except in certain instances - but it's not actually 'leave'?
    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      ok - never heard of it before.

(without wanting to go off topic) surely LEAVE is LEAVE and you can do as you please and go where you like whilst 'on leave'? i.e. if you have a fast bike - what's to stop you blasting up to Dublin in the evening?

or do you mean the cadets are normally confined to camp for the duration except in certain instances - but it's not actually 'leave'?
      No DF personnel are entitled to leave a camp/barracks except in the course of their duties without a leave pass (local being within a set distance from camp/barracks) or a sleeping out pass (ie they live outside barracks).

In practice once you are finished your training (cadet, recruit and possibly 2*) you are allowed out from the time your programme ends until the next parade (same for a sleeping out pass but you sleep at home). I'd assume that local leave passes are still issued to the PDF.

If you are a bold soldier/platoon etc or if there is a potential problem you can have leave (even local leave cancelled) and be CB'ed (Confined Barracks) - ie not allowed outside the gate except for official duties.

Comment

ok - but i still don't get the 'local leave' thing.

does it come off your annual leave?

or is it just a case of "right lads - you have a few hours off now - don't venture too far and no drinking, see you at 2000hrs"?

how many 'local leave' passes is an individual entitled to and what are the regulations governing them?
        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 20 July 2010, 20:10.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

No it doesn't come out of annual leave.

For example, your training day has finished in Cathal Brugha Bks (say 1800 hrs). You have local leave pass (say it is 10 miles from barracks), you can go into the city centre (go shopping, to cinema, meet friends, go home (if within 10 miles) etc etc). Local leave usually offically expiries at 2359 so you must be back in the gates and have reported to gate policeman/orderly sgt by then.

Comment

Can we split this from the thread please. It would be great to keep the info to the Cadet process rather than talking about leave.
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

agreed Zulu, sorry guys i just can't get my head around it lol.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Do your living in troops have to report into Barracks at a certain time every day/evening/morning
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

When we used to do JRRF rota I suppose we'd get a sort of local leave insomuch that you weren't allowed to be more than an hour away from the barracks, but were free to go and do as you please within that restriction.

Comment

US Army often puts mileage restrictions on where you can go for leave, depending on how long a leave you have. For example, a four-day leave may restrict you to 200 miles from the base if you're driving.

NTM
                    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      Do your living in troops have to report into Barracks at a certain time every day/evening/morning
                      all of my soldiers who are not married 'live-in' and do NOT have to report into barracks at any particular time.

so long as they are present, formed up and in good order at 0830hrs then that is all that matters.

often in Cyprus when i lived in - we would crawl out of the taxi from Ayia Napa at about 0500hrs, get into PT kit, get about 20mins shlaffen laid on top of our beds before the Bugle call of Reveille would wake us and send us on our way to PT. so long as we could stand up straight for 5 mins whilst the RSM said his bit and tasked the PTi's, before running out the front gate and throwing our guts up - that was acceptable.

even when we are on course or visiting another base or barracks for whatever reason - if we are not 'at work' then our time is our own to go where we want and do what we want. so long as we are on parade at the right time with the right equipment there is no issue.

so no - there are no time limits or curfews on any of our 'livers-in' and our leave is our leave to do with as we please and we are certainly never restricted by distance. weekends incidentally are NOT taken off our annual leave allowance.
                      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 21 July 2010, 00:52.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                        so no - there are no time limits or curfews on any of our 'livers-in' and our leave is our leave to do with as we please and we are certainly never restricted by distance. weekends incidentally are NOT taken off our annual leave allowance.
                        You do realise that local leave only applies to troops in training? As in, the lads may have from 1900 hours to 2200 hours to head into town or whatever but they can't go ****ing off to Cork or something.

I can use my leave to do as I please, Havoc can use his leave to do as he pleases, same goes for Craghopper, Apod etc.

We don't have to use leave to get the weekend off either, so I dunno why you mentioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                          You do realise that local leave only applies to troops in training? As in, the lads may have from 1900 hours to 2200 hours to head into town or whatever but they can't go ****ing off to Cork or something.

I can use my leave to do as I please, Havoc can use his leave to do as he pleases, same goes for Craghopper, Apod etc.

We don't have to use leave to get the weekend off either, so I dunno why you mentioned it.
                          ok - if it's only in training it makes some sense but not a whole lot - you are either confined to barracks or not confined with a report time - and you should therefore be entitled to go where you like during your time off.

and i mentioned weekends because they do NOT come off our leave entitlement because in the Irish DF - if you want 2 weeks off you must submit 14 days leave whereas in the British Army we only submit 10 days leave - those 4 days leave are definitely worth mentioning - now you know.
                          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 21 July 2010, 20:14.
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post

I am afraid your wrong HA

Local Leave restrictions apply to all single living in Soldiers -

go into your Coy Office tommorow- ask to see a local leave pass ( cant remember the no)

have a read of it- ask the CS in their who supports Man u to explain it.
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                              I am afraid your wrong HA

Local Leave restrictions apply to all single living in Soldiers -

go into your Coy Office tommorow- ask to see a local leave pass ( cant remember the no)

have a read of it- ask the CS in their who supports Man u to explain it.
                              Also your working week includes sat 08:30 to 12:30, it can be invoked when the c/s wants to act the pr*ck

Comment

Working...
                              X