Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is army life like?

Hello,

I would like to join the PDF (General Service) when recruitment reopens (which I hope will be soon).

I am wondering how many days a year one must work in the army. Does one get to experience a healthy social life?

Thanks.

You will be slagged constantly and without mercy by some of the best mates you'll ever know.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

you could take a trip to the 'Leave' thread and see leave conditions there for the Irish DF (and British Army) and work out for yourself how many days work you will be required to put in.

but in my honest opinion Chiloe - if your first post on IMO is asking how many days you are required to work as a soldier then i 'm not convinced soldiering is for you.

good luck anyhow.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Disagree, a well informed decision is usually a better decision.

Comment

An Army social life is the best social life! My only advice is that if you're in a relationship, think very hard about whether committing to the Army is for you. I can't really comment on behalf of the PDF, but from my time in the BA, trying to please a girlfriend at home and maintain a solid commitment to your unit was like being between a rock and hard place. If you're single though, get in there son!!!

Comment

agreed Certa Cito - more fun as a 'singlie' but still a social life like no other where drinking and partying is actively encouraged. we get loads of time off and if i don't have a beer in my hand by 1400hrs every Friday then something has gone wrong!

we even have 'Management Lunches' in the Mess one working day in the last week of every month and the bar is open from 1400hrs to 0100hrs. not many jobs let you get pissed from 1400hrs on a working day!
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
              agreed Certa Cito - more fun as a 'singlie' but still a social life like no other where drinking and partying is actively encouraged. we get loads of time off and if i don't have a beer in my hand by 1400hrs every Friday then something has gone wrong!

we even have 'Management Lunches' in the Mess one working day in the last week of every month and the bar is open from 1400hrs to 0100hrs. not many jobs let you get pissed from 1400hrs on a working day!
              Perhaps you should point out to the OP that this is the British Army you are talking about, because they specifically asked about the PDF, and the reply you gave in no way reflects the PDF.

In the PDF partying and drinking is in no way encouraged, it is tolerated, as long as it doesn't lead to hassle. Messes do not open during the day except in exceptional circumstances, and close at the same time as civi pubs. Get pissed at 1400 on a working day at your peril.
              CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Originally posted by REX View Post
                Perhaps you should point out to the OP that this is the British Army you are talking about, because they specifically asked about the PDF, and the reply you gave in no way reflects the PDF.

In the PDF partying and drinking is in no way encouraged, it is tolerated, as long as it doesn't lead to hassle. Messes do not open during the day except in exceptional circumstances, and close at the same time as civi pubs. Get pissed at 1400 on a working day at your peril.
                seeing as the Irish DF are not recruiting currently it's worth the lad considering other options, and thank you REX, i will continue to enjoy getting pissed at 1400hrs in the Mess on a working day!

lets hope things improve soon and Chiloe can become a soldier without having to serve in another Army other than that of Ireland.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                  seeing as the Irish DF are not recruiting currently it's worth the lad considering other options, and thank you REX, i will continue to enjoy getting pissed at 1400hrs in the Mess on a working day!

lets hope things improve soon and Chiloe can become a soldier without having to serve in another Army other than that of Ireland.
                  Wasn't having a go at you, I just thought that it was important that you make it clear. As for the mess, well the boozing culture has been greatly reduced in the DF over the last 20 years, but that just means you don't need to be a card carrying alcoholic any more
                  CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

no worries Rex - i mean it when i say this - i DO hope the Irish DF can recruit lads soon as it's bad for those in the Army and those wanting to be in the Army.

and to Chiloe - i think no matter which Army you join - it will offer a 'life changing' social life that may not find anywhere else - just look at Hedgie!

good luck.
                    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 1 August 2010, 00:22.
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

MOD: As has been noted by some, the topic of this thread is "What is army life like?" in the PDF. Please keep on topic.
                      "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

This is a PSNI list, but I'm sure there is an equivalent army list.

For your amusement (and possibly to educate others) I've compiled the Top 10 reasons people have walked on Day 1:
                        1. They didn't know it involved shift work
                        2. They didn't know they had to carry a gun
                        3. They didn't know they had to walk beat patrols
                        4. They thought the uniform was optional: "Oh no it's ok, I want to do plain clothes work" (said to a Drill Instructor on Day 1 when ordered to change into uniform)
                        5. They thought their personal car would be automatically modified with personal issue blues and twos ("What if I'm stuck in traffic?")
                        6. They thought they could transfer to America, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
                        7. They thought there were performance-related bonuses linked to arrests, speeding tickets and successful prosecutions
                        8. They thought the job carried 'perks' like free admission to concerts with Access All Areas, VIP lounges and the like
                        9. They thought they'd be able to "fix" tickets and fines for their family, friends, and even themselves... which leads me on to number 10
                        10. They thought being a police officer meant you had Diplomatic Immunity
                        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Army Life

RGJ, with all that time off ,generous leave convenient canteen opening hours etc you must have come across a fair few drunken squaddies in your 21 years in the BA( as well as some excellent comrades.)

Comment

Maybe a name change to "British army recruitment online" would be fitting for this forum?

That seems to be how every second discussion ends up any way....

Comment

Originally posted by RelaxTheBody View Post
                              Maybe a name change to "British army recruitment online" would be fitting for this forum?

That seems to be how every second discussion ends up any way....
                              If that remark is directed towards me for my post, apologies. I did allude to my BA experience, but it was meant as generic advice for someone joining a regular army.

Comment

Working...
                              X