X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes - the same one i am normally tarnished with

although i am a fully trained Glider Pilot if that helps
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 2 January 2011, 20:14.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Does the UK have "combat wings" like the Yanks or is it just the wings you get and the end of your para course?
      But there's no danger
      It's a professional career
      Though it could be arranged
      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
      If you're out of luck you're out of work
      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
        Does the UK have "combat wings" like the Yanks or is it just the wings you get and the end of your para course?
        i'm not a Para (for the benefit of those who are easily confused) but i'm pretty sure we only have the standard Para Wings:

and SAS Wings:

i think you are referring to the wings that Paratroopers normally wear on their chest from other nations - i don't believe we have any of them.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

I assume with a name like 'The Para's' their badge would be enough of an indication
          that they can perform combat jumbs!
          Life's short, party naked :-)

Comment

I wouldnt be so sure.
            Heres a green Jacket.

And his jacket isn't green at all.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
              No, the BA does not issue a combat jump indicator like the US.

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                Why? Were there no helis available?
                Because its necessary to justify the millions of pounds training and maintaining a Parachute Force.

Its also essential for the esprit de corps of the paratroopers, this is their reason for being.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  I wouldnt be so sure.
                  Heres a green Jacket.

And his jacket isn't green at all.
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by fiannoglach View Post
                    Because its necessary to justify the millions of pounds training and maintaining a Parachute Force.

Its also essential for the esprit de corps of the paratroopers, this is their reason for being.
                    So it was really nothing to do with fighting the Taliban....

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                      Snipers as part of the trg learn how to call in arty/mortor fire.. Did it myself many moons ago.

But we didn't actually call any in..FYI, just trained how to do it.
                      During my 81mm Course we practiced calling in fire using the simulator down in the Weapons Wing, within about 20 minutes one of the lads broke it with an asbolutely shocking fire mission

So it was really nothing to do with fighting the Taliban....
                      It had everything to do with fighting the Taliban. They utilised an infil method that allowed them access to the target area without having to roll up in vehicles.

Then of course as Fiannoglach pointed out, they showed that the Parachute Regiment still have the capability that is their very reason for existing and are capable of using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad P View Post
                        I assume with a name like 'The Para's' their badge would be enough of an indication
                        that they can perform combat jumbs!
                        Whats a "jumb"??

My Q was about combat wings- ie a decoration of an act performed in combat.....
                        My Q was not about a capability of said formation......
                        But there's no danger
                        It's a professional career
                        Though it could be arranged
                        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                        If you're out of luck you're out of work
                        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                          It had everything to do with fighting the Taliban. They utilised an infil method that allowed them access to the target area without having to roll up in vehicles....

Back to my original question: why didn't they use helicopters, which is the normal airborne insertion method these days?

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                          .....Then of course as Fiannoglach pointed out, they showed that the Parachute Regiment still have the capability that is their very reason for existing and are capable of using it.
                          Mass parachute drops are military history.

Comment

In other to justify parachute training... last I heard it was being cancelled for a few years

Comment

Back to my original question: why didn't they use helicopters, which is the normal airborne insertion method these days?

Don't think so.. I have a Mate who was on this stick..

Last edited by Craghopper; 4 January 2011, 00:46.

Comment

[QUOTE=easyrider;321073]Back to my original question: why didn't they use helicopters, which is the normal airborne insertion method these days?

With it being the normal airborne insertion method, I'd imagine the Taliban have copped onto the fact that if they hear choppers approaching, they're more than likely in trouble.

Dropping in allowed them use an avenue of approach that hasn't been utilised much, thus giving them a greater chance of holding the initiative when kicking off a contact as there's a good chance the Taliban wouldn't expect lads to get dropped in.

As Crag pointed out, they aren't. I also know the same bloke involved in that drop.

Comment

Working...
                                X